Careful with water and Noctigon K9.3!

[quote=Thujone]

I recommend putting it in a container full of uncooked rice. Rice wicks moisture like crazy.

I discharge a cell on high, in the freezer

that cant be healthy…

Why?

I don’t think the LED and battery manufacturer ever intended for either of them to work in the freezer.

I discharge my cells in my flashlight over a period of a couple weeks with normal use and some turbo blasts. Mostly to spook cats that make noise.

These methods of underwater discharge and freezer disscharge do sound pretty good. Also easier to find that one old leftover pizza slice when 4000 lumen iluminate it.

Might be risky tho because you could easily forget it in there. “Dad why does my icecream taste like lithium?”, or “Honey why is there smoke coming from the freezer”.

There is also the issue on the wear and tear on the LED. I know the LED has a life of 50,000 hrs but that is like MTBF for hard drives. It may actually be much, much less than that.

Many of us spend $1000s of dollars on flashlights and batteries. Spend the extra $40 on a battery charger/discharger and do it the right way.

is it actually supposed to be IP67 rated when you're turning it on and off? honest question.

that's not the same as IP67 when the unit's at a stable temperature.

well they do generate a fair bit of heat until the battery voltage drops. I just take em out after 30 minutes

I would not recommend doing this for the reason it will thaw out your frozen hamburgers. LOL

I recommend that you make him aware of it. I think it is a failure of his light and feedback like that will allow him to re-check and possibly improve.
Is it worth a warranty claim? To be honest I don’t know. If it was me I would talk to Hank about the issue and see how he reacts.

whats wrong with the button ? usually emisar has good quality buttons… ?

The button is seemingly the last remaining problem. Simply applying a bit of pressure activates it prior to the click. :frowning:

I like the xtar Vc4s, good charger not too expensive

Darwin.

Chris

I don’t think his test was at all unreasonable. As mentioned, it’s better to find out if a light is waterproof before you actually need it to be.

That said, I’m not sure the IP rating is supposed to guarantee that water doesn’t get into the light, just that the light keeps functioning. I’m not entirely clear whether or not that was the result.

Nor do we know if everything was tightly screwed on.

Everything was screwed on tight. 5 min in 3” of water != 30 min @ 1M.

No disrespect to anyone, this is a lovely thread.

If I am a reviewer, getting a free light, I put the flashlight in goldfish bowl.

If I am paying my own money, it stays hi and dry unless a “whoops” occurs.

But submersion testing for critical rescue ops does make some sense to me.

I hear you @peg matite, I know the risks. But this is a simple test I subject any torch to before it is allowed outside the house duties. The plan for the light was a hard work light, camping etc, not as a house toy (No judgment, I have many). Being in the PNW you can drop a light into water frequently and easily. It is also the first time I have had a light of value fail the test. That is the only reason I posted. It is likely related to cooling down in the water creating negative pressure. Most of my carry lights are smaller in volume and less likely to fail this test for that reason. That is why I have not reached out to Hank. But I did feel it was worth a mention here. I took the risk so that others may avoid it. It would have been easy to say nothing, but if this helps someone else then it is worth taking a light razzing.