Characterization of optic and LED combinations (S2+WF1, S21A+WF1)

Yes, good point.

Testing at longer distances (and installed in an actual light, if applicable) will be necessary to make a final determination about where the best focus is achieved and how thick a gasket should really be.

I am limited in the vertical distance at which I can test. I need to build a horizontal setup on an angle plate in order to test at long distances.

The S2 + WF1 test was conducted at 1.33 meters.

1 Thank

I think for most applications the G10 is the sweet spot. G12 and G15ā€¦seems like they only added long term resistance to moisture absorption, and the fire retardant grades seem the same but much more expensive. I lucked out and got some scrap pieces of several to toy with (abrasives, though, not milling). I worked a bit with various soft plastics and three grades of GF nylon (I think 6, 11 and 30% if I remember right). Certainly nicer to work with although static cling is a major featureā€¦all do make chips but those chips travel further than I would have expected while using a router and the cling wasā€¦amazing. I think the 30% is whatā€™s usually used in power tool housings, or thereabouts. There is some carbon-infused polypropylene thatā€™s neat materal, tooā€¦much stiffer and more dense than any of the GF nylons. With the G10ā€¦yeah, all powder and it can be really irritating to the skin and mucous membranes, super bad news for the lungs, too (same for phenolic there). Iā€™m not sure exactly why, but out of everything I toyed with it was the linen phenolic that was most impressive to me. Donā€™t see the linen version very much but itā€™s really a different animal than the usual canvas, and both are quite different than the micarta/paper grades. The linen was (maybe still is) used as some kind of washer in oil drilling rigs, which I thought was interestingā€¦not sure where exactly it was used.

Added S21A + WF1 test. Added spill angle models.