Cheap 18650 light

Now, try the FastTech 2-mode Direct-Drive high driver and see if you like that one better! Cool

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1114500

already done it , got 5 amps with 20R ,ofcourse the pill almost got fire :slight_smile: ,so i just installed a spare driver with max 2amps i had.

These have raised in price to $3.99. :frowning:

As I found when trying to duplicate my first “roll-of-coins” light, the threads used can be significantly different. I’d hoped to be able to lego parts in my lights, but no way that will ever happen.

Assuming I can get the pill OD and thread pitch, is there a non-lathe way to get a pill this size threaded — without spending a ridiculous amount for a ~22mm die? OR… IS there anyone reading this who might be willing to turn pills for these? Round stock isn’t hard to find, but machine tools can be.

At the OP price, it might be cheaper to buy two, saw the threaded parts off the body of one, then use those threaded bits as hollow pills for the other. Except you’d need a much bigger spare-parts bin…

Not to keep harping on this, but IMNERHO it’s worth the trouble to work this out. This form factor has turned out to be awesome for an 18650-based EDC work/task light.

That’s the “BLF Bump”. They noticed us buying them & thought they’d found a winner.

Still not unreasonable for a Mod Host, but not worth the trouble as built. IMNERHO, of course! :wink:

I have mine, its not quite the same as was listed, but at $3 shipped I’m waiting on one of the cheap 18650 battery sellers to get back to me so I can buy my first cell and see if it works.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sale-UltraFire-CREE-LED-Q5-Flashlights-Lanterna-Tactical-800Lumens-Linternas-18650-Flashlight-Torch-Night-Lights-Super/32264408265.html
US $2.86 / piece

US $2.86 / piece
For that price…ok

For much higher no

I have one of these…the daggum clicky already died, after fiddle futzing with it got it to work again…but is NOT 800 lumens and couldn’t handle the heat from a high output emitter (the tube is very thin)

These make GREAT GP throw around lights but that is about it (toolbox, fishing tackle box, kids going out in the back yard in the dark lights…stuff like that)…but for less than $3 and some laptop pulls…great cheap lights

These are VERY cheaply made lights
if you want an EDC that looks just like that but CAN handle the heat…get a Convoy S5 from FT

Going back to the beginning of the thread…already said all ^ that :smiley:

Yes I have two of these $2.86 lights and one of them is modded. The pill is so shallow that I had a hard time fitting a Nanjg 105C in there. For the price it is not bad, at least the light itself is still cheaper than buying a single XP-E separately. But if you are looking for a good mod host you might want to go for the Convoy series lights.

you can wrap the pill with foil (aluminum or copper).to handle the heat better.this light is worth only if you have spare parts.

I have a soft spot for these lights. I used one as a donor kit of parts for a simple DIY project.

What you receive can be a complete lottery - I ordered 2 from the same eBay seller and they were clearly not made on the same production line or even in the same factory, even though all the parts are interchangeable between them. One has next mode memory, the other has no memory, both are XP-E but one is a much warmer tint than the other etc.
If you get a good one I consider them to be up there with the SK68 in terms of value for money.
The only problem with using one as a donor is I now have an empty body shell which is crying out to be re-filled. It’s only when you add up the cost of all the required parts to get it back into use that you realise what great value these lights are. :slight_smile:

Personally I would skip the 3mode high-low-strobe version (like this one) because most of the time the driver I get is too crappy. They also tend to die quickly if you do resistor mod for more current.

And most of the 5-mode version I received is much better, can withstand resistor bypass and also memory reset mod. So as far as my own statistics go, I’d stick with that for a few cents more.

Here’s a good version that I have personally tried - $2.99 shipped.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Hot-UltraFire-S5-CREE-Q5-LED-600LM-18650-Glare-Torch-Camping-Flashlight-L0709-P/2041194443.html

How much for them to NOT laser engrave their crappy uranusFire brand logo into the side? somebody needs to tell them to save that money and give us an even better price for the light without that. I'd even pay a dollar more for one without it.

I’d buy one but only if I knew for sure I’d get one that said UranusFire :smiley:

That listing shows an XR-E emitter and a (threaded?) brass pill. Is that what you received?

No. What I recently received was XPE and compressed pill (additional thread ring). Pretty much all versions comes with XPE nowadays. That picture is so old, I had one or two S5s with XREs but that was well over a year ago.

I thought as much, but thanks for confirming.

The one I have used in the past has just dropped in price again to £1.89 ($2.85?). which is a silly price for what you get, even if you only use it as a cheap source of spare parts. As it stands it’s a perfectly good ‘beater’ light.

When I got the light, I found that there is something wrong with it.
It has 3 modes : high, low, and hidden strobe. Perfect for me.
When I first pressed the button from off position, it will go to high, then low, then it goes to high again or stay in low.
So the issue is, once it is turned on, it does not want to go off, ever.
The only way I can turn off the light is by loosen up / unscrewing the bottom part (battery compartment).

I have reported the problem to the seller and he offers $3 if I keep the flashlight.
This $3 partial refund scheme is pretty common with Chinese eBay sellers if a buyer finds problem with the flashlight they bought.

I am worry that it may cost me significantly higher than $3 to fix the problem especially since I am new here and I have never done any mod.

Returning defective item to an oversea seller is another pain in the neck process with eBay.

Also note that I have other Skyray flashlights that work properly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have this New c56 i think its a very good light for its price, very bright and the host feels sturdy and good and not cheap at all but im sure they are better lights but i rather pay less then more.

http://www.dx.com/p/new-c56-cree-xm-l-t6-5-mode-900lm-white-zoom-convex-lens-led-flashlight-w-clip-1-x-18650-121488#.VNiU6yxDPEg