Cheap and reliable cr123a flashlight for BoB?

Will be a dedicated bugout cr123a flashlight, any recommendations? Olights are expensive

The only CR2 light I have is a Nebo Micro Redline.

4 modes (H>M>L>Strobe). Always starts on the highest setting.
Zoomable, CW tint, PWM in all modes. Not “moddable”.

Size is length to the Olight S1R Baton I and the Acebeam TK16 (both of these can use use CR123 /16340 batteries).

Wouldn’t a CR123a light be better? It would pack some more juice than a CR2.

Wow.

“Welcome to Hell… here’s your flashlight.”

:smiley: Well, pretty much!
I can add that the CR2s are hard to find and relatively expensive here (2,50€).
This was my “introduction” to the flashlight world, when I thought that zoomies were the best and that CW was “cool”. 4 years later…many has changed :wink:

STILL, this is a keeper, to remind me of the path and because…the light is really well built (despite all)! :wink:

Yeh, and that’s why I’d suggest a Jet-II. Flawless ano, great moonlight/firefly mode, twisty so no switch issues (off is physical-lockout). Only drawback is the slight greenish tint endemic to most Jetbeams.

And ’123s can usually be gotten pretty cheap and have 10yr+ shelf-life.

Updated for cr123a :slight_smile: any cr123a lights good and cheap?

Jet-II.

I’ve got the Jet II Pro, purple/teal titanium jobbie and while the E-switch crapped on me after 2 months, Battery Junction sent me a replacement Lickety-Split on their dime.

Love the light, but I’m a lipstick 16340 fan and carry one everyday, so I’m biased.

Chris

What is the appeal of the CR123 that an Energizer L91 does not offer? Plus, you could run off scavenged cells much easier.

Greater power density. Plus, if down the road you want to use it more regularly, RCR123 rechargeables are just a simple swap.

Check the Nitecore EC11. Nice little light. I EDCed its cousin the EA11 for a few years until I lost it. I liked the auxiliary red LED too.

Convoy S2+ short version can be purchased for around $10-15 on some online stores.

Gotta use a real 18350 or 16340, then, unless you swap the driver to handle 3V from a ’123.

Ah, so primary only?

Not entirely true. Even my 8x7135 will function off a single CR123. For how long, I haven’t tested. And this is running in the lower modes.

Isn't a BoB intended for use in a crisis of some sort when needing to abandon one's dwelling in a hurry? Seems a 1xAA light would be more practical, 'cause AA cells could be easier to find in the field, bugged-out & away from home territory.

slmjim

The Nitecore EX11.2 works great on Primaries
more info

Yah, ’fcourse. It’ll just think the cell’s almost dead, is all.

I can even run my GTmicro off an LFP cell (3.2V flat). Not the brightest, but it still works, and that’s meant for Li-ion only. Imagine LVP will kick in rather suddenly, though.

Just a coupla days ago I managed to run down a LFP cell in my Xeno. Runs from alkies to Li-ion, but I could see it visibly dim as it choked and sputtered. Time to top off…

So… yah, you can run a regular light from 3V, but be prepared to have LVP kick in. Best to use a braindead driver of just 7135s, no µC to get in the way. And a low-VF LED if at all possible.