Cheap authentic battery packs to harvest 18650 cells

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with all these batteries?

Do you desolder the tabs or use them like that for building battery packs?

I wish the tabs were soldered. That would make it easy to remove the tabs cleanly. The tabs are welded, which requires a bit of grinding to leave a smooth surface after the tabs are removed.

I had a bunch of time today to disect some packs. Got 4 good sanyo cells a bunch of dead LG cells and these…i dont know what they are.

any help on identifying them would be great. They are all good and id like to keep them if I can know a little more about them. Came from a battery pack for a toshiba, said 4400 mah 10.8v and just regular dont burn etc. didn’t have a manufacturer or anything. Just english, German warnings. Made in China. Had “replace PA3356U-1BAS/1BRS. thats it. I’ve searched for the replacement but the 11v version keeps coming up and only says cells are made in Japan.

edit: they have a white insulator on positive end and have 4 vent holes on contact.

Edit. They are Dlg probably from 2007 seem like a good battery. 2200mah.

Just a word of caution on old laptop packs . . .

Lithium ion cells have a normal shelf life of ~5 years.

So a cell from 2008 is already past it’s intended lifetime.

Capacity will usually be reduced.

I have found that many “name-brand” cells will do better,

but not all of them (Sony’s are some that have higher failure rates at that age).

LarryDFW

I wouldn’t consider that entirely true, alot of variables that can effect the shelf life of li-ions.
Temperature subjected to (A major factor), number of cycles on the cell, the discharge current their subjected to, the ending voltage of the discharge, the cut off voltage their charged too, how quickly their charged once discharged.
My cell phone batteries usually last around two years. Its charged and used daily in varying temperatures, I work outside and carry it daily in the cold winter and hot summer. That’s about all I ever get out of a cell phone battery.
On the other hand I have Panasonic NCR18650 2900mah cells from this thread. FYI - some 'new' Fujitsu laptop batteries
With a date code of 9926, made 2009 in September. This being close to the 5th year.
These cells where never used until last year, when I purchased them. From the test I have done and others, they seem as though they just rolled of the assembly line. I store mine at around 67°F and the two I set aside for testing purposes have lost very little voltage after 10 months of being fully charged. After 2 more months (making a year) I will update ohaya’s thread with resting voltage and a tested discharge capacity.

Internal resistance is the factor,

that will determine the overall health of a lithium ion cell.

I typically see the IR values increase substantially after 5 years,

whether the cells are used or not.

IR increase will increase heating of the cell while charging and discharging.

Panasonic & Sanyo cells seem to hold up the best in my testing.

LarryDFW

P.S. Mitro noticed a decline here with 1 year old cells vs. new ones:
Graph for Old vs New

You are right, however that 2572mAh put into the cell could also be low. We don’t know how fully charged the cell was in the first place.

Bottom line is we need, like you said, a discharge test. I can’t do it, all I havv is my real world test with my FandyFire Warrior as in the first post.

@LarryDFW I’m not trying to arguing the fact that li-ions do degrade over time. Its just that they are several variables that will determine how much they degrade over time. IR values do general show how much the cells have degradation. The cells in ohaya’s thread seem to all have typical factory IR values even though when we received them, they had a measured voltage of around 2v. I was told and had read many times that a cell in that voltage range would have been junk.
I tried to do my research before jumping in on that battery pack deal. I could not find any info where someone had a brand new cell that had never been used setting for 4 years or so and then tested it afterwards. Most people after all use their batteries once the receive them. Once a few had been tested, I had to see this for myself, so I jumped in on the deal. Sure enough their as though they had just been made. That’s the reason I have two of those setting on my desk self discharging, testing purposes. There has to be some thing going on with a cell that has never been used that prolongs its life even with it self discharging below a safe level. I should have left one as is, uncharged just to see what happened in a year or two.
The link you gave comparing new and old battery doesn’t really consider in the variables in my post above. To be fair, they would both have to be unused and the older cell’s would need to be stored at a cool temp. Correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t think they where unused as he doesn’t really say, I would assume he used them. The packs we received and tested where unused. We know if the cells aren’t abused by the variables they last longer, what happens if they have never been used after 5 years. So far they act like new in my experiences. More time will tell.

Can’t believe that life was possible without a full compliment hobby charger. Have used mine on almost all chemistry batteries and the load function is the best real world test. Wouldn’t bother with anything less than one with a minimum of 5A. IMHO

Charging the set of cells seems to indicate they do have some built up resistance.

Charging in my i2 and i4, initially put them to 3.8v and then I had to stop because I could no longer monitor them for the day.

Starting again today, after about 1h 45m on the charger the cells are up to 100*F, and 3.89v.

My other laptop pulls and brand name cells don’t get nearly this warm.

… safe to continue charging?

Just a heads up to you all. Thank you so much for the interest in our batteries. It seems this is working out nicely for both of us. We are down to one unit of the NB800AA new in open package. It looks like you all are buying up the PA3332U-1BRS -FS Toshiba battery as well. At the current sales trends I would guess maybe 3 weeks worth at best. We do also have our own site at www.inandoutcomputers.com I do not believe we have anything there that is not on eBay but by all means take a look at our site. We also get tablet batteries from time to time. Not sure if those are of any use to you all ? I think part of the reason you all may be having pretty good luck with these old stock but new batteries is the fact that our warehouse is quite cold. It seems that helps preserve these cells. Just an FYI we do have some more bulk packaged NB800AA that are still genuine originals but they are not in retail packaging. We do not have these up on eBay. If you are interested just shoot me a PM and I can do a direct order for you at the same price.

Corey

Thanks Corey. I'm looking forward to my third order with you.

I have tested many cells with 2 VDC starting voltage that had very good IR readings.

IR is easily the best indicator of cell health.

IR Ranges for 18650 Cells that I use:

50-100 mOhm - Excellent (55mOhm new Panasonic 3400)
100-200 mOhm - Good
200-Up mOhm - Poor (will overheat, may lead to thermal runaway)

High IR is only dangerous when charging or discharging,
so that is when you have to check for heat rise.

LarryDFW

Just got my Pink Samsung 2600's for $10, same pack in the OP and details posted earlier. Got to clean them up and charge em now. Price is up to $15 now, looks like. Thanx Corey!

I just got my order and eagerly took my 2 10$ packs apart to find pink samsung 26 c. All came in at over 2.5 volts and have the fist 4 in my I4 charger
Thanks Cory

Battery for Asus A32-F5

I got the pack in today. Quick summary don’t waste your money, two bad cells and unkown brand.

Brand - ASO?
Capacity - ?
Cell Voltages - 1.37, 1.37, 3.36, 3.36, 3.44, 3.44

Anyone know which cells are in this pack http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-Toshiba-M30-M35-Laptop-Battery-PA3332U-1BRS-/171249219347?pt=Laptop_Batteries&hash=item27df3fb713

I bought 3 of these packs and got the green sony batteries in all of them.Great batteries

Yesterday somebody bought 12 packs!

3 of which pack? link please