Cheap authentic battery packs to harvest 18650 cells

That sounds really good as they were 2200mAh cells to begin with. That pack you bought had 12 cells in for 12.99. Right after you reported the 3.75V measurement straight out of the pack, someone bought 5 of them and cleaned out the inventory.
Can you look up the item number so I can see if there are any in the list as reported by Cory from inandoutcomputers?

Genuine Toshiba M30 M35 Laptop Battery PA3332U-1BRS

Just finished charge after discharge test. Took 2,356mA's.

EDIT: Second discharge test (again at 1 amp) yielded 2,147mA.

EDIT2: Recharge after 2n discharge test took 2,368mA's.

I'm going to call this purchase a success. Thank you Dchomak for reporting on this vendor.

i would grab a few more of the toshiba packs too at the original price.

snakebite, I don’t know if you are refering to the 12 cell Toshiba that ImA4Wheelr bought at 16.99 or this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Toshiba-Laptop-Battery-PA3442U-1BRS-P000435740-/170893824570?pt=Laptop_Batteries&hash=item27ca10d23a

This link to this Toshiba, now at 27.99 was originally 8.99 and contains 6 - 18500 cells. 18500 cells are shorter than 18650 and are about the right length to replace a triple AAA pack in a flashlight. Here is the link to the discussion of that pack.

has 18500’s.
btw those have proven to be in great shape.

I just picked up a SoShine SC-S7 charger to get a rough idea of capacity on laptop pulls. It's currently on sale at Illumination Supply for $14.99 -BLFuser discount + a little shipping charge.

Here is the review by HKJ if anyone is interested.

By the way, my Sony pulls are so far holding their voltage. Still letting them sit until their full week of rest is done.

-Garry

Just wanted to let you all know the price on the above battery was reduced to $17.99 this morning.

Dumpster diving & recycle bins are still my main battery source. Salvaged many 18650 2400+ma batteries. This thread made me pry open my wallet and BUY a HP 6pack of Samsung Pinks for less than $10 delivered. Got them today @ work and will test them in the following days. Thanks for reviving the addiction!

I just got in a HP VN06 CB87 pack and a HP EV088AA pack in from our fleabay friend. I haven’t tore them up yet, but I will. I’ve been busy playing with my first scavenged set. I asked our helpdesk today if they had any old dead laptops they were junking that had good batteries. They gave me the pack from a 4 year old? HP. I tore it open. It had 6 2300 mAh green Samsung cells in it. They all tested 2.66V to 2.72V. About 20 minutes ago I tossed 2 of them into 2 cheapo single sell chargers I have. They aren’t getting hot. I have (about 6) way cheap Harbor Freight red multimeters but they work. Yikes. I don’t even have an 18650 light yet, but I have 18 cells now. In the next 3 days I’ll be receiving a NiteCore i4 V.2 charger, a C8, and a Skyking, and 2 SK98’s and probably more I’m forgetting. I have 6 more sk68’s coming from China. I should’ve ordered at least a couple of GOOD batteries to compare to my picker collection. I don’t have anything protected, but I’m old and been playing with electric stuff a long time. Should be ok for now. I know don’t run them down. And I’ll just use the good 4 bay charger as soon as it shows up. And watch and measure batteries often. Between my shady brands of flashlights, my picker batteries, my $3 single cell chargers, and my $5.00 Harbor Freight meters I’m glad I’m at a BUDGET place. Some forums would toss me out…:slight_smile:

And I can’t leave you without my obligatory dumb question. How can I measure the capacity of my batteries? Not just the voltage? I have a nice Lacrosse BC700? for AA/AAA stuff and it tells me lots of info. Even buying a “good” NiteCore i4 V.2 only has 3 LED’s per cell so no real info.

• Joe

A hobby charger is your best bet:
http://lygte-info.dk/info/HobbyChargers%20UK.html
But you can make basic comparative measurements using the same load (e.g. the same flashlight) with different cells and time their performance to match similar performing cells.

garrybunk and
Let there be light

Get a hobby charger, pulling packs is addictive and you will benefit from the Hobbycharger features, I have two and they get used often, nothing fancy 40$ units bought locally from hobby shops.
Particularly as they can charge to a storage Voltage, because soon you will have 50+ cells in stock! some offer temp probes so they can cut the charge on suspect cells.
The other factor is you can constantly text capacities very NB on older cells, I have many cells in use that are 1000mAh in capacity from laptop pulls, and they work well for camping and general use.

I hear ya, I hear ya. Been putting that off. I hate to derail this thread (but isn't that how we roll here at BLF?), but actually yesterday I was looking at this really inexpensive one at Hobby King: Hobby King 50 watt 5A X-Charger/Balancer. It seems the cheapest well reviewed one available. I do notice it only does 1A discharge rate, but you have to spend twice as much to get higher discharge capability. My concerns would be whether or not you could tweak full charge voltages (i.e. to charge 4.30v & 4.35v cells), choose to charge to a storage voltage, etc. . . (probably a few other "features" I should want but can't think of). I don't think I have need for extremely high charge rates or even balance charging.

-Garry

Pulled the 6 cell in 3 banks of 2. One bank was dead. .0 voltage. The other two banks were 2.5V. Put them on the charger. Contacted the Ebay seller about the dead cells and they are sending me another HP pack. Ebay seller inandoutcomputersstore customer service rocks!

I plan on getting this. HobbyPartz.com - Lowest Price for the Replacement Hobby Parts for Nitro RC Cars, Gas RC Buggies and Trucks - Brushless Electric & Nitro Gas Powered RC Airplane, RC Helicopter

The pc monitoring sounds nice. Is this a good one for our hobby?

-Joe

Just ordered a couple of the HP EVO8AA looking forward to the massacre , thanks for the recommendation … I think :bigsmile:

There are some duplicates in the list that I've excluded below. Here's the mAh of each cell.

mAh
li-po
nimh

leaftye, if you put together that list, that is a lot of work!
I can only confirm that the VN06 CB87 NB800AA contains 2600 mAh cells, not 2200 as in your list. This is the $9.99 pack, which also happens to be the cheapest one offered.
I know some of the other packs contain 2200 mAh cells.

I was looking at ads for these batteries, and I'm sure many of those had incorrect information. Do you remember if your battery pack label said it had 4400 mAh or 5200 mAh? I put together the list thinking that I'd find something with better than expected cells and try to get a good deal on those, but nothing really stands out. The NB800AA sounds like it'd be one of the best deals if they all come with 2600 mAh cells.

So far as I know, everyone that has ordered that pack has found these inside

Here is a pic of the brand new pack before I tore into it. Such a nice looking pack too, almost seemed like a shame. Notice it says 10.8V 5060mAh

Well I went ahead and ordered one.