Cheap authentic battery packs to harvest 18650 cells

A hobby charger is your best bet:
http://lygte-info.dk/info/HobbyChargers%20UK.html
But you can make basic comparative measurements using the same load (e.g. the same flashlight) with different cells and time their performance to match similar performing cells.

garrybunk and
Let there be light

Get a hobby charger, pulling packs is addictive and you will benefit from the Hobbycharger features, I have two and they get used often, nothing fancy 40$ units bought locally from hobby shops.
Particularly as they can charge to a storage Voltage, because soon you will have 50+ cells in stock! some offer temp probes so they can cut the charge on suspect cells.
The other factor is you can constantly text capacities very NB on older cells, I have many cells in use that are 1000mAh in capacity from laptop pulls, and they work well for camping and general use.

I hear ya, I hear ya. Been putting that off. I hate to derail this thread (but isn't that how we roll here at BLF?), but actually yesterday I was looking at this really inexpensive one at Hobby King: Hobby King 50 watt 5A X-Charger/Balancer. It seems the cheapest well reviewed one available. I do notice it only does 1A discharge rate, but you have to spend twice as much to get higher discharge capability. My concerns would be whether or not you could tweak full charge voltages (i.e. to charge 4.30v & 4.35v cells), choose to charge to a storage voltage, etc. . . (probably a few other "features" I should want but can't think of). I don't think I have need for extremely high charge rates or even balance charging.

-Garry

Pulled the 6 cell in 3 banks of 2. One bank was dead. .0 voltage. The other two banks were 2.5V. Put them on the charger. Contacted the Ebay seller about the dead cells and they are sending me another HP pack. Ebay seller inandoutcomputersstore customer service rocks!

I plan on getting this. HobbyPartz.com - Lowest Price for the Replacement Hobby Parts for Nitro RC Cars, Gas RC Buggies and Trucks - Brushless Electric & Nitro Gas Powered RC Airplane, RC Helicopter

The pc monitoring sounds nice. Is this a good one for our hobby?

-Joe

Just ordered a couple of the HP EVO8AA looking forward to the massacre , thanks for the recommendation … I think :bigsmile:

There are some duplicates in the list that I've excluded below. Here's the mAh of each cell.

mAh
li-po
nimh

leaftye, if you put together that list, that is a lot of work!
I can only confirm that the VN06 CB87 NB800AA contains 2600 mAh cells, not 2200 as in your list. This is the $9.99 pack, which also happens to be the cheapest one offered.
I know some of the other packs contain 2200 mAh cells.

I was looking at ads for these batteries, and I'm sure many of those had incorrect information. Do you remember if your battery pack label said it had 4400 mAh or 5200 mAh? I put together the list thinking that I'd find something with better than expected cells and try to get a good deal on those, but nothing really stands out. The NB800AA sounds like it'd be one of the best deals if they all come with 2600 mAh cells.

So far as I know, everyone that has ordered that pack has found these inside

Here is a pic of the brand new pack before I tore into it. Such a nice looking pack too, almost seemed like a shame. Notice it says 10.8V 5060mAh

Well I went ahead and ordered one.

If you keep hanging around my threads, you’re going to go broke like me! :slight_smile:

dchomak, thanks for the pics of the label showing the correct information. Maybe I'll see about getting a bulk buffet of battery packs...

I wouldn't worry much about low voltages with new never charged batteries. I've had cells with as low as 1.9V that have been performing beautifully, or at least they've been holding their charge very well. Unfortunately I don't have a hobby charger to tell me more about the health of my cells. Maybe I'm wrong, and if anyone stateside is too concerned about their cells with less than 2.5V, I'll be happy to take them off their hands for the price of shipping. :D

A few more months and I’ll have to sell a kidney. :money_mouth_face:

Hey Guys,
It looks like you guys have been picking up the NB800AA over the weekend. That is great and we hope they are working out for you. I just wanted to let you know that we running down almost into single digit quantities in the new in open box condition. We do have a few more that do not have original retail packaging but not too many. I would guess at the current rate we have about a weeks supply. Thanks again and just drop me a line if there is anything else you might need.

Corey

Last night I opened up what was ordered as a EV088AA VE06. It showed up as a HSTNN-DB42 whatever that is. The cells inside are different. Light red cells (not pink) that say NLKA58 and my google-fu is striking out on that. I charged 2 so far and one settled down to 4.16V and the other 4.30V after 3-4 hours of being off charger. They were 3.64 or so after removal from the pack. I’m wanting to blame the 4.30V on one of my $3 single cell fleabay chargers. My Nitecore i4 V2 came in today so I may put the little single cell scary chargers in my junk cupboard for emergencies.

- Joe

At the risk of jumping the gun, and demonstrating colour blindness, they might be 2250 Sanyos. I just pulled 6 with the engraved marking on the shrink wrap of Sanyo K UR18650, they have a purple ring around the positive end, on the very top, not sides. There is some black text that I cant make out under the wrapping, without removing the wrapping. These too appear pale red, not quite pink. A sort of sun faded red, which doesnt really help as often that is a pink too. Although highly likely that there are countless pale red wrappered batts around. I just found it curious as I was about to post them here. How many vent holes do they have?

The 6 I pulled were not new (Acer), they came from my sons laptop complaining of a battery problem, but working fine just not long without PSU. Relax …hes 18, and I already replaced it with a new Japanese celled batt, Im not a monster.

All show 4.04 or 4.05v on DMM.

*eyes off new laptop batt.

Edit elevety billion
Mine look like these

The same color. They have the purple ring on the top. and no markings that Google has seen. Actually, now that this thread is going Google will know what a NLKA58 NLKA58 NLKA58 NLKA58 is hopefully? Thank you very much Sir! Mine have 6 vent holes if that’s the little holes around the top. You mention “engraved marking” on the wrap. Mine have none. I’m near sighted and looked at them a lot under a bright light. TY for clearing up my mystery. You probably saw how long your son’s laptop was lasting on battery and set his power options to High Performance, then when he complained bought him a new pack so you could have the good one to tear down :stuck_out_tongue:

- Joe

Ordered this http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-HP-6-cell-Battery-Series-VN06-CB87-N… tonight...

I got one pack from work, and 2 from this fleabay guy. I saw your post and dismantled my last Fleabay pack cuz it was the same thing as yours. It was 6 ICR18650-26C Samsung 2600 cells. Mine are at 2.20V to 2.45V fresh out of the pack. Charger is full now but will try them tomorrow. These look like the OP’s batteries. First I got Green Samdung, then light red Sanyo, now Pink Samdung. But it’s all good so far, nothing bad yet. Everything charges up so far.

- Joe