Cheap authentic battery packs to harvest 18650 cells

Google doc perhaps?

Ok, my stats after charging to nearly 3.0v and letting them sit for 1 week (Sony Green cells)- measuring with the same meter:

Cell# Voltage Voltage
Feb 7th Feb 14th

2 3.07v 3.03v
3 3.04v 3.00v
4 3.04v 3.01v
5 2.97v 2.92v
6 2.99v 2.95v
7 3.00v 2.95v
8 3.03v 2.99v
9 3.03v 2.99v

So how do these numbers look? They stayed above 2.0v so they should be fine (according to the advice given above). I put cell #6 on my new SoShine SC-S7 charger to see how much mAh it takes (I know this is not the same as a proper discharge test, but should be a good indicator of approx. capacity.)

-Garry

Got it today:

Identical pack, and identical cells. Same date codes too. Pack looked a little bit used though (shiny plastic part had some wear/scratches).

All cells are 2.45-2.6v.

Pack was ridiculously easy to open. Pried the seam where it normally connects to the laptop, popped it open a bit, and ripped it apart with hands. All in about 60 seconds.

Had an "OOPS" moment and popped cell #6 out of the charger while checking to see if it was getting hot (after it had charged for 2hours) so I lost the data for that cell. I then popped in cell #7 and here is the data:

2,670mAh (roughly), sounds reasonable to indicate a "good" cell. Cell came off the charger at 4.16v, now settled down to 4.15v (not sure if the charger is just cutting off a little early or what. That cell #6 that popped out I finished in my i4 and got 4.20 after "rest" from the charger. I'm going to be testing some used worn out old laptop pulls with the SoShine as well.

-Garry

Ebay seller inandoutcomputersstore shipped a replacement pack and batteries showed up this afternoon. Did a DMM voltage check and all were 2.5+Volts. Put them on the charger all in 2p fashion. The good two 2p from the first pack checked at close to 5200ma (almost 2600ma each). Thanks for the fast service Corey!

I think it's a very good generalization to say chinese cells are junk ....I've been surprised a few times by chinese cells that were pretty good ....and I've been amazed how crappy they are as much or more often .

If an aftermarket pack has better cells you can bet the seller knows it and is using it as a sales pitch . I've bought aftermarket packs that have had in the listing " higher power cells for added longevity " Samsung cells used "

The pack was made by RULU

http://accdepot.amazonwebstore.com/Rulu-Brand-9600mAh-10.8v-12-Cells/M/B004RLMSTE.htm

it was listed as having samsung cells inside ....it was an aftermarket pack and very easy to open

I bought a HP HDX 9000 from inandoutcomputerstore and I’m extremely happy with it. 2600 mAh cells from March of 2008, all testing well.

Pink samsung batteries? (Pic posted a few posts up)?

If so that is a better deal, assuming similar results.

My apologies for the confusion. It’s the same pack and cells that are in this post. I’m gonna pull out a multimeter and check, right now they’re in my Nitecore i4’s and I’m doing some work. Will update this post. I’d like to gift some 6x18650 power banks to people—I’m hoping these are good cells.

I found this pic of that pack on the internet. It claims 83WH, 83 divide by 9 cells divide by 3.6v equals 2.561AH which is about 2600mAh. On the pack it says “Cell origin Korea”, so they could be Samsung. If all this is true, then cost per cell is better than the 6 cell pack for 9.99. ( I just ordered 1)

My pack is the GJ114AA (part number 443050-761) the pictured cell’s part number is 443050-621. My battery case says that the cell origin was Japan, with further processing in China. My battery also says Series HSTNN-CB47, while the one pictured says Series HSTNN-FB47. So I would guess there were some batteries with the Samsung cells, and some with the Sanyo cells.

I just grabbed one of the Hewlett Packard HP 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (GJ114AA) for HP Pavilion HDX 9000 Series Notebook PCs for sale online | eBay This is my 4th pack so 3x6 plus this one gets me to 27 cells. So far I got Samsung 2600, Sanyo 2150? and Samsung 2100 cells. None of them bad yet but I can only test voltage and such with my little multimeter. I might start gifting SK98’s with little 1 bay chargers now that I have so many cells to go with them. Just need to give them a stern warning on unprotected 18650 usage.

- Joe

This is the same pack that garrybunk ordered. We know from his post above that it contains 9 Sony US18650GR’s. They are rated at 2550mAh. It will be interesting to see. The pic I posted about that pack from the Internet said it was using Korean cells. I now suspect that the pack I ordered will have Japanese cells (Sony)

I was wondering if you all were talking about a different pack than mine (thought you were since you were looking at Korean cells). Are the Samsungs preferred to the Sonys?

By the way, 2,572mAh charged into my cell #8.

-Garry

Just got this pack and cracked it open all cells measured 2.6v. Just in case I decide to order more packs which one of these would you say is the best bang for the buck?

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with all these batteries?

Do you desolder the tabs or use them like that for building battery packs?

I wish the tabs were soldered. That would make it easy to remove the tabs cleanly. The tabs are welded, which requires a bit of grinding to leave a smooth surface after the tabs are removed.

I had a bunch of time today to disect some packs. Got 4 good sanyo cells a bunch of dead LG cells and these…i dont know what they are.

any help on identifying them would be great. They are all good and id like to keep them if I can know a little more about them. Came from a battery pack for a toshiba, said 4400 mah 10.8v and just regular dont burn etc. didn’t have a manufacturer or anything. Just english, German warnings. Made in China. Had “replace PA3356U-1BAS/1BRS. thats it. I’ve searched for the replacement but the 11v version keeps coming up and only says cells are made in Japan.

edit: they have a white insulator on positive end and have 4 vent holes on contact.

Edit. They are Dlg probably from 2007 seem like a good battery. 2200mah.

Just a word of caution on old laptop packs . . .

Lithium ion cells have a normal shelf life of ~5 years.

So a cell from 2008 is already past it’s intended lifetime.

Capacity will usually be reduced.

I have found that many “name-brand” cells will do better,

but not all of them (Sony’s are some that have higher failure rates at that age).

LarryDFW

I wouldn’t consider that entirely true, alot of variables that can effect the shelf life of li-ions.
Temperature subjected to (A major factor), number of cycles on the cell, the discharge current their subjected to, the ending voltage of the discharge, the cut off voltage their charged too, how quickly their charged once discharged.
My cell phone batteries usually last around two years. Its charged and used daily in varying temperatures, I work outside and carry it daily in the cold winter and hot summer. That’s about all I ever get out of a cell phone battery.
On the other hand I have Panasonic NCR18650 2900mah cells from this thread. FYI - some 'new' Fujitsu laptop batteries
With a date code of 9926, made 2009 in September. This being close to the 5th year.
These cells where never used until last year, when I purchased them. From the test I have done and others, they seem as though they just rolled of the assembly line. I store mine at around 67°F and the two I set aside for testing purposes have lost very little voltage after 10 months of being fully charged. After 2 more months (making a year) I will update ohaya’s thread with resting voltage and a tested discharge capacity.