Cheap Bike Headligtht Questions

Hey all, it’s been a few years since I last bought cheapie LED torches (with mixed success) and I’m overwhelmed with the current choices for a bike headlight. I have a Fenix BT-20 for off road use and it’s amazing but i want to keep this cheap for commuting and just as much to be seen than light up the road. I’d happily spend $40 on a light that’s well recommended, but it’d be nice to get a cheapie so I don’t have to worry about it getting stolen or breaking too soon.

Can anyone make some suggestions on these lights: ?

Complete setups with batteries and chargers:
$23 https://www.fasttech.com/products/1603/10007973/1702004-trustfire-missile-h1-1-cree-xm-l2-t6-3-mode-500lm
$22 New LED 1*Cree XM-L2 4-Modes Bicycle Light and Headlight(4*18650 battery pack)

Light and battery pack separately:
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1603/10007644/1661103-ultrafire-mt-40-1-cree-xm-l-t6-3-mode-900lm-cool
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004539/1973102-8-4v-3200mah-rechargeable-4-18650-battery-pack
And which charger suits best ? I even saw some USB -> 5.5*2.1mm charging cables.

I have an old ultrafire cree AA torch that was the best of my cheap buys, so I’m leaning towards that one.

Convoy S2+ (red one, because well, it’s red), and the cheapest one at around 13 bucks, a 6 dollar charger and a 5 dollar 18650?

Looks like a nice torch, but not ideal for the bike. Would prefer something more suited.

Yes there are tons of them to choose from. Can you explain exactly in what environments is to be used?

You can try with one variant of this http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023994 . You can choose only to be seen (outer ring) or to see (quite nice beam from XM-L2 led). There is also variant with wide beam which is using optics. http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022856

Not the best light but quite good for the money. Of course it depends what you actualy want from the light. There are some dual led light with low and high beam, etc.... You might read some reviews to get an idea (HD-016 for example)

Mostly they are all powered with 8.4V Li-Ion battery packs. Again it depends what run time do you need. More runtime, more money. Cheapo ones are very likely low capacity and won't last long so it is better to spend more money on the battery than on light head itself.

jump to last page for discount code, but read the thread - long history getting a good clone from among many bad clones

This is just for commuting on road, late at night. I probably need less than 500 lumens, but would like something with a built in bar mount and dedicated battery pack. If anything i would rather smaller battery pack than 4x18650. I already have a few 18650 devices though, so a 2x18650 would be perfect.

They actually look pretty good, the outer ring flashes and the center light remains focused ? They look perfect size and weight, heaps more light than I need but with low/medium modes would be very suitable. Can you suggest a battery / charger ?

Outer ring can have steady or flashing mode. Center light is independed so you can operate each separately. It produces enough light for commuting, but it doesn't have so much throw. Still enough if you ask me.

You would hardly get 2 cell shell/case specialy with exchangable cells. There was some Fenix BT20 BA4C 18650 Battery Case, but it has wrong (male instead of female) connector so you would need to have an adapter. But since you have Fenix BT20 light, don't you have that case?

Otherwise there is Hunk Lee store at eBay who has quality stuff - http://stores.ebay.com/aokbattery/ but not cheap. You can find the charger there too. Hunk can make you battery connector at your request. If you would have been in the US there are some stores, but this is not siutable for your location (neither mine).

Otherwise take just 4 cell case and you are done. You can insert only 2 cells if you wish. Don't know about quality but this charger might suits you. If you have separate multibay charger you can additionaly charge cells there from time to time in order to get balanced for shure. Also, don't you have 8.4V Li-Ion charger with your Fenix BT20? You would need only adapter if the connectors are wrong (female instead of male). Or you have separate multibay charger?

Ok, thanks. I think I’ll grab one of the first ones you linked, might as well strap 4 x 18650’s on the bike.

Looks like the battery box comes with a usb charger too, which might be really handy for hiking if I want to use my phone for GPS, which is something I’ve been thinking about. I don’t have a charger for the Fenix, just a basic fenix 2 x 18650 bay charger.

What’s the suggestion on batteries these days ? I have a few trustfire that have served well, and some tenergy that have had no problems. I should get 4 more for this, and the 8.4v charger.

Thanks for your help and suggestions so far.

Check details on whatever battery box you choose; does it slowly discharge cells left in it?
USB output circuitry, I think, may do that.
Remember the lottery is powerful; you may not get the same thing someone reviewed by buying from the same link.

Read up at mtbr.

Don’t store with cells; remove the cells if you’re putting it aside for a week or more.

Prior luck in the battery lottery is no guarantee of future luck; lots of fake/rewrapped cells have been reported from many sources.

Shorter, personal opinion: if you’re in the US, mtnelectronics.com for assurance.

There’s economy, and there’s gambling. They differ.

He is clearly not in the US ;-)

Yes the linked case has bit of parasitic drain. If it's in the last A1 version, it is not so bad. You can prove it is A1 by the button turns on/off USB port. The older version was not so good. See my thread about it.

About battery cells I can advise any brand name like Panasonic, Samsung, Sanyo, Sony, LG, .... For your purpose in this case Samsung 2600 are best price performance choice. Currently very good priced at Gearbest.

All in all you would spend just about 40 USD.