Close call - battery meltdown out of the clear blue

No your reply is not ok!!! Your Sarcasm was weak! lol! :wink:

It is CLEAR what he said. The cell is Undisclosed and works exactly like a Panasonic cell.

The whole point of my original post is that HKJ feels it is a very good cell and in addition it has served me well.

I would be a LOT more concerned about a Trustfire/Ultrafire ect. than a Cytac cell.

We can analyze things forever,if your not comfortable with it ,fine,toss them….I am comfortable with them so lets leave it at that!

No sarcasm intended from my side. Yes it is clear what he said. But it looks like you are not understanding my point then. There are more variables than what HKJ tests.

Wait…you mean I could go to sleep with my trusty 26650 flashlight beside the bed….and if it gassed out overnight….wake up (or not) on death row the next morning due to these HFA gasses? :open_mouth:

I have some 300 Li-ion cells. About 100 lights with cells in them, on stand-by and something like 70 cells in reserve, 50+ in a 12Ga. Shotshell case and more in a clear container beside the bed.

I’ve been up to about 170 flashlights before I sold some off back in the Winter. Mostly been hot-rodding the snot out of flashlights for about 4 years. Haven’t built an underground bunker battery storage facility just yet…

No sarcasm! Really? lol!

This is your last line of your post prior to this one! ” Is my reply ok?” Sound sarcastic to me! Nothing wrong w/ some sarcasm,when people can not be honest about it, that bothers me!

Whatever those “Variables” are, they have NOT affected me in my almost 7 years of enjoying this hobby! I have quality batteries, I take care of them, I have fun and am NOT worried about whatever “Variables” you are talking about because they have NOT been detrimental in m 7 years as a Flashaholic!

How did this conversation even evolve?! What does a Cytac cell have to do w/ an Ultrafire? It may be undisclosed but is a good quality cell like the Ones I have listed below:

Off the top of my head I can think of Five[5] batteries that do NOT have their cells disclosed in HKJ’s review. They are quality cells that I have no worries about.I do not know what exact cells they are but they perform MUCH better than a “fire” cell. Those Fire cells are a give away when he tests them. False specs and many are recycled.

If anyone knows what these cells are please let me know. HKJ does not list the manufacturer in his reviews.

1.AW 2.AWT 3.CYTAC 4.EFEST 5.VAPPOWER[26650]

I have used all of these cells. I NEVER discharge them too low and always check voltages before and after charge. I know my batteries and Flashlights so well[ max output initial run time tests a must] that I have guessed the exact voltages numerous time when CAPO and I have returned from the trail.

Time to hit the trail,U21vn and TK75vn KT……………have a good night.

If you were exposed to HFA during your sleep and did not realize it and wake up, that would be a very bad thing. Fortunately, or not, the release of HFA from a li-ion battery is _usually _associated with the battery catching on fire. If it undergoes a thermal reaction inside a water-tight flashlight and attempts to out-gas, the flashlight will most likely rupture (explode). In either event, those 2 scenarios would hopefully wake you up so you can GTFO.

The key thing is that people need to be aware that inhaling HFA is painless and many people don’t realize that they have done so until days later because the onset of symptoms can be delayed. So, if any doubt, throw open the closest window/door and get out and stay out to minimize your exposure.

HFA is corrosive to your lungs and systemic fluorine toxicity can cause a wide range of CNS damage, among other things.

I was trying to be helpful. No sarcasm intended. You seem to have issues, especially when it comes to communication. I’m done with you.

The left end of the cell seems to be the positive, aren’t PCB’s usually on the other end?

http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/battery%20protection%20UK.html

+1

Windyfire from MTN are great 14500

And lets not go crazy.

1. Name brand cells can take a lot of abuse
2. The quality of !@#$ fire brand cells is suspect at best.
3. Li-on cells can indeed vent Nasty gas (avoid vented gas at all costs)
4. Keeping “BLF” approved cells in the house is no big risk.
5. Having lots of “BLF” approved cells in the house is not a problem
6. Taking a risk with sub safe Chinese cells simply does not make any economic sense (Just say no).
7. Quality 18650 costs are dropping, from now on there is no reason to buy other than great performing “BLF” approved cells
8. The “BLF” approved cells is a bit tongue in cheek, but the forum has endless threads about what are recommended cells (use above common sense and research)

think about power tool they mostly use high drain 18650 in the 1300mAh range, those are most likely not filled up to their physical limit with lithium foil, so there is more space that it can work inside when they get hot
a 18650-30Q current is rated 3.3C, those power tools likely 15-20C
I would not store large RC batteries inside my apartment
Never charge cells when you are not around, it may not burn down your house, but in those cases very toxic stuff gets vaporized and sprayed all over

My guess is it might been a laptop pull that got recovered from deep overdischarge with internal damage to the insulator from copper crystals

@ Ronin42………. Well said up in post #49….+3!! :+1:

lol!! You are right, I have Issues w/ people who are in denial of their intentions.

Here is where I am a fool. I am wasting my time trying to prove a point to someone who is not capable of being honest. I am dealing w/ the internet not a church group or 12 step program where people are accountable for their actions. :wink:

Don’t forget to throw away those Cytacs,yes,that is sarcasm on my part.

Wouldn’t it be better do discharge them to like 3.8V and recycle them. Fully discharging will only increase the risk for who ever will be in touch with them during the recycling process.

Ok…this is a good point. I’m still learning here……

If you discharge a LiIo battery to say ZERO volts, doesn’t that reduce the chances of a fire by reducing the energy available?

I thought it was all that stored energy that was the main hazard?

Fact checking:

Li-ion cells produce oxygen when they start to vent, they will support fire in an airtight container and increase pressure until the container bursts.
The FAA did some tests along that line. I’m looking for a cite/link for that. But a sealed container isn’t a good idea. Ammo box or metal box, yes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Abudgetlightforum.com+fire+HF+hydrogen+fluoride

They contain fluorine compounds, but the HF is only produced during combustion — the hazard exists when they burn.
https://www.google.com/search?q=lithium+ion+hydrofluoric+combust

Over-discharge can start crystals growing in the internal liquid chemistry.
Growing crystals can puncture the membrane separating the reacting chemicals.
That starts a reaction producing heat, rapidly.

That’s a good point/question. I had it in my mind that 3.6 = stable long term storage and therefore safer as long as it isn’t shorted externally.

PS — I think I’ll be adding a battery powered smoke alarm to my battery storage box.

yes but what chemistry battery in the smoke alarm LOL

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/41571

I’ve occasionally had that as well. It’s usually been because I forgot to turn the oven off. Once or twice it’s been something overheating because of a fault. Sometimes it’s been just a fleeting whiff of a burning smell, which has gone and not been traceable to anything. This happened long before I had Li-ion batteries in the house.