Closed Official Haikelite MT09R *UPDATE Now including TA's Pricing for Emitter Upgrades* Closed

I’m gonna rob a bank while everyone is blinded!

I needed to do some battery testing for a charger problem I'm having so decided to "exercise" the MT09R XHP35 HI and Sony VTC6 batteries that came with it as I worked things out.

Test conditions:

Light "Serial"/Lot Number: H2018A01I28K (BLF Group Buy, first shipment)

Ambient 68° F (20° C)

No forced cooling

Light tailstanding

Light set to step # 4 of Group 5 (supposedly 5000 lumens and NOT Turbo)

Run time 20 minutes (no metric equivalent?)

Temperature measurement device: Fluke 62 MAX+ IR Thermometer (emissivity compensation value for set to 0.84 for black anodized aluminum)

Batteries: Sony 18650 VTC6 unprotected button top (source MT09R group buy extra cost option)

The outer body of the light reached 151° F (66.1° C) after 20 minutes.

The batteries inside the light reached 132° F (55.6° C) measured ~15 seconds after light turn off.

So much for meaningful thermal management (and remember, the light WASN'T on Turbo).

According to Sony, the maximum allowable temperature for these batteries is 60° C, but if that's like a lot of other maximum specs it would probably be best not to go there, not only for reasonable battery life, but for potential safety reasons.

I was going to stop the test at 15 minutes (0.0007440 fortnight), but was really surprised to feel the amount of radiant heat coming off the light as I approached the button to turn it off, so I went and got the silicone oven mitts and it took a while to clean the barbecue goo off them.

While thinking about the potential safety implications of the above and Googling information on human skin burn threshold temperatures I ran across this tidbit (and yes I know MT09Rs are NOT made from water, rather anodized aluminum, some WAY more beautiful and colorful than my basic black one), but I think it helps put things in perspective:

"Most adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds. Burns will also occur with a six-second exposure to 140 degree water or with a thirty second exposure to 130 degree water. Even if the temperature is 120 degrees, a five minute exposure could result in third-degree burns".

Hi Terry,

I just received my light. I have a comment and questions.

Comment: When I opened the box the bottom cover falls off immediately from the box not too big of a deal since I was in the car when I pick up the package from the USPS. Paint on the cover didn’t chip off. I hope I am the only case otherwise you are going to have an unhappy customer when the cover falls to the ground.

Questions: How come the battery I received does not indicate SONY on the battery? The little plate on the cover is it supposed to be loose. I am sorry I don’t know the correct terminology for the little plate.

@Terry: Can you please answer my questions? :slight_smile:

Congrats. I hope you like your light… maybe some cellphone beamshot??

It will be tomorrow before my shipment of 35 high's arrive so there is very little I can do at all until I have one here.

If you would please do me a favor though. Email this information to Dale.

haikelite@yeah.net also please include that I asked you to email this to him.

No, you’re not the only one this has happened to, as I posted in #1004

Because genuine Sony SEUS18650VTC6 batteries don’t say Sony on the label, only the fakes say Sony, or Suny, or Soony, or something. Google the number.

Okay as far as the Sony Cells. I can only guess because I have not yet ordered any for the store. I am pretty sure that he is getting them directly from the manufacturer or a very large distributor there in China. Most of the time the cells are wrapped after manufacturing with the band name and other such details. Most of those cells end up in lithium ion powered power tools so none of that is ever seen and to just save time and money they just do not add a brand wrapping.

That is a guess. I will email him and ask him about that. I have also noticed from pictures from some of the others that their seemed to look the same as what you described.

The tail cap if that is what you are talking about with the board being loose then yes it is supposed to be. It should turn so that when you screw the tail cap on with the 2 pins inserted it keep the battery contacts in place while you are turning the tail cap to tighten in on.

Never be sorry for asking questions... The way to learn is by asking. Please let us all know how things go once the cells are charged and you light it up...

By all means! And DON’T under any circumstances use a decent camera with appropriate manual exposure controls!

Using a crappy cellphone will will often make an under performing light look better than reality, not saying that’s what’s going on here, just something to remember when looking at cellphone beamshots (or cellphone light meter app results).

Thank very much... I do know some here in the U.S. will wrap them... But I do not own any of the Sony Cells...

My tail cap was not fastened and upon removing the light from the box the tail cap and batteries fell out but only in the box. The inside of the light (battery tube)is a little scratched up and the smaller diameter pin on the cap is a little bent. A couple of twists of the cap could have eliminated all of this…

Done.

Like I said earlier. I got sent the XHP70 version instead of the XHP35 I ordered.
Another issue it won’t turn off. When you click to turn off. It goes into moonlight mode. Only way to turn it off is to undo the cap all the way.

I talked to Dale yesterday and I asked him if he had gotten the emails about lights that had some issues. He told me that he had read the emails and that he was taking care of it.

Is this not the case?

If not then please let me know.

Did you email Dale haikelite@yeah.net

And if so what was his response?

Unscrewing the head ~½ turn should work to cut power draw. Not a solution, just a workaround to make it easier to play with the light.

I did email Dale at that email. I haven’t received a reply back yet

Thanks for the tip mate!

Thank you all to answered my questions.

Please beef up the QC. You will have a lot of loyal customers. By the way the light look bad ass.

I just emailed him as well and included a URL to take him to you post. I will also be trying to call him later tonight about some other things and I will bring this to his attention as well provided I can get him on the phone tonight. The Holiday really makes it tough to get anyone at all in China lol...

Well, I got my batteries all charged, installed and when I try to turn it on all I get is a quick flash and that is all…any Ideas?