Coast HP550 1000 lumens - it's just not fair!

Now Coast makes some really cool lights, so it may be bright, but a single emitter zoomie I doubt is 1,000. And with regard to ANSI, I dunno. Guess they are better than nothing. But it’s good to compare them to other known lights and see how they stack up.

it took me a while before i venture the $50 mark… as soon i passed it… now no turning back… can’t buy them $10 lights anymore… unless it’s says 1000 lumens on it :bigsmile:

Agreed, and I can confirm it is in excess of 600 lumens based on several lights I have in the 500-600 range.

LOL! That is so true! :bigsmile:

KartRacer31:

I felt the same way in the late 60’s. Up until then if you wanted a fast car, you had to build it. Then came the muscle cars, GTO’s RoadRunners, 442’s etc. Suddenly ANYONE could just buy and drive a fast car. “The veil was rent in twain”

However the general public first has to overcome several obstacles before they are willing to buy one. First is price, most people are used to paying $5 or less, especially now that there are alot of $1 lights. Secondly and because of these cheap $1 lights, that are usually LED, they equate brightness with large numbers of LED’s. A light with only 1 LED in it? forget it! I remember, again back in the 60’s, that the first question soneone had about a transistor radio was, “how many transistors does it have”. Today with cameras it’s “how many Mega Pixels?” or with camcorders “How much zoom?” And a lot of people looking at that light, if they actually notice, will pull back at the fact that it requires 9 AAA batteries. To get 9 you have to buy 3 - 4 packs, that will cost you close to $16 in a drug store. If they go to the dollar store and buy the cheapy’s they will get about 10 minutes run time, then put it away, and never use it again. In the near future suitable batteries will be a limiting factor on how powerful our flashlights can become.

Very good points dchomak, I’m feeling much better about the Coast light. Now the $20 Defiant light at Home Depot that runs on 3xC batts, may make its way into more hands. Granted it’s not 1,000 lumens or the quality of the Coast, but it is still pretty bright and easier to feed power, and at $20 well within the range of most people.

;)…………………… H)

There’s also this other little thread ya might wanna ping to get some further skinny on it too. :smiley: Which reminds me I should update that thread with observations of remaining stock I saw today.

Yes, agree. Now when friends come over, I can no longer impress them with ‘just’ my Trustfire X8.

C’mon manufacturers, let’s get those 4000 lumens lights going …

“Let us know how it performs.” Post #2………………. :smiley: :wink:

Good info on the 3x NiMH! and thanks for the link to the other thread :slight_smile:

I have my eye on that Black Shadow Terminator - early guestimates put it at 3500 lumens for $150. That might be a Christmas gift…to me, from me. - usually the best type of gift because I get exactly what I want. LOL

So did you play good and got a camera on Christmas? I really wish you have, cuz I am really interested in a comparison of this with the 3C Defiant 493 Lumen Super Thrower.

Nope I didn’t get the camera, my wife and I spent the money on a cruise :slight_smile: I have the standard Defiant3c and the Costco HP550, and hands down the Costco is brighter and more throw. I have yet to see the Defiant super thrower.

I have to disagree with the consensus here, having 1000 lumen lights for cheap available everywhere is a good thing, it brings down prices, increases quality, and encourages uptake of flashaholism.
Most people will never be into technical things like us, and if 1000 lumens ran on 1 AA and cost $5 for the light, our membership still would not explode because most people see flashlights as an item to use when needed, and forgotten about the rest of the time.

I want all your flashlghts………. :expressionless:

All your flashlight are belong to us :bigsmile:

To update you all… Yesterday, @ Costo, with battery I got this on for $29.97… And yes, it produce 1000 lumen. At least close to that!! (huger throw, although it’s not like a needle point)… For even further throw I bet they’ll put mirror like on top cup, with more focus…

I love fact that it is for AA (I have bunch of eneloops)… But I still consider returning it… It’s in my opinion still pricey… If it drops to 15 dollars then may be ready to buy one… Frankly they have plenty of them… Just ~ 2 weeks ago they priced them for ~ $41.99… and then I saw on sale… but look at smart people of Costco… Seeing product is not being sold… going down to get read of it… Frankly and realistically, other then flashoholics WHO WE’LL BUY THAT BRIGHT AND QUITE DANGEROUS around children (yes, it blinds you GOOOD!!) flashlight???

I see with Cree some craziness… and up to 8000 lumen… so predict year from now for this price you’ll be able to get 5000 lumen… so… why hurry???

Just this one has AA… My fear is introducing new bunch of non - standard batteries that you’ll be forced to buy… that’d be really bad…

Well at $30 it’s a great buy. These never showed up in my area.

i dont think i have a “costco” by me…

wal mart hasnt had any decent lights new out in a while… then tonight? the 550!!! (also a smaller version of it too)

wally world wanted 60 for this 550 light… an i was dumb enough to pay it, LMAO

===

i like a LOT of this light…

not too big, not too small. nice hand feel.
the flood to spot? works smoothly and everything seems good quality.
AAs are “handy” and i alrady have a bunch…

little complaints…? (nothing is perfect)

9AA is a weird non-round number… i’ll have rechargeable AAs left over, and thers not a lot of 3-aa lights aroun.
the “tactical” tail switch? its OKAY to me, but any bigger of a light, and i would need a side switch. I think i would have preferred this in a side switch, but its “okay”
the “zoom” kind of stops just short of focusing up th emitter… i like when a zoomie will focus up the emitter tight.

withut that little extra focus? it runs out of steam by 200 meters sort of…

===

great mid sized light though, overall. the low is a little too low, but good… long run time on low, and on low flood? its nice for around the dark room, r walking around.

on high? zoomed IN? its pretty cool… but i WOULD have liked it that last little bit if they had put a “real lens” in it, and let me focus up the emitter like i like to do sometimes. for that little extra bit of throw.

a side switch, a real lens that focuses up tighter, and a MID mode (maybe around 100 or 200 lumens?) would have put this into the “perfect light” bracket for me, i think.

as it is? its pretty close to perfect… and even at 60 bux… if i would have gottn it for 30 or 40? obviously nicer.

nice mid-size light though… cat wait to put the rechargeables in it when the alkalines it came with poop out.

i fooled around with some “real” lenses? (i have quite a collection from my custom IR long range iluminators i make?) and… quckly found a lens that plopped on the front…

and gave me what i wanted… a nicely focused up emitter. hoo boy, that loooked BRIGHT on high… with JUT the right lens on the front? could push this thing over the top for me…