Coast HP550 at Costco for $49

The size comes about because it uses commonly available batteries. The only way to make it a ‘pocket rocket’ would be to go Li-Ion. And that’s not what Coast was after. Besides, it’s not like there isn’t already an abundance of inexpensive, pocketable, 18650 XM-L lights out there. Going 3xAA would have made it smaller, but would have REQUIRED NiMH. But Coast wanted a light that can be used with alkalines.

On the other hand, I kind of like the size. Call me weird. But sometimes, I just like the feeling of a good, solid light with some heft in my hand. Heat management is also an issue. I actually got somewhat interested in the new Fenix PD32UE. That is, until I found out that it heat soaks after three minutes at 740 lumens, and has to drop down to ‘high’ to keep from burning up. No such concerns with the Coast HP550, as it has LOTS of metal to absorb heat from the emitter and dissipate it to the ambient air.

Finally got the light’s head apart. It is a simple screw in design that is held together with very strong glue. I took an old bike innter tube and two adjustable wrenches and clamped down on the head. It came apart easily. I am now going to attempt an aluminum foil mod like this. If it doesn’t work it will be easily reversable.

How well is the heat sinking? Since it doesnt get hot, it sounds rather poor at best. Can you post pics now that you have it apart?

our local CostCo only has the teclite (OLD) 150 lumen crap

major bum :frowning: mer

Burnsville, MN Costco

As reported in another thread (and told to me by a Costco employee), the asterisk * in the upper right hand corner means that the item will not be restocked.

Are the rates now lowered in all the costcos or this is regional?

About 2 weeks ago, they were down to one light. Now, nada.

None in UK Costco.

Wahh. They are disappearing! I bought two extras!

Very awesome flashlight. I love the fact that it runs on alkis and very hard at that. You can run 3,6 or 9 but at least 6 is needed to be useful, with just three batteries the sag is tremendous after a minute or so.

I was underwhelmed and returned mine last week. Also, the mega-multi AA concept is quite silly when C or D cells would have been a far better choice in every conceivable regard.

Where did you see the fan cooled SST90? Can you tell us more about it please?

Thanks!