COB LED flashlights? discuss, point, recommend, criticize ....

MY ultimate fantasy: "Finding Nebo"

Go home, Streamer, you’re drunk! :stuck_out_tongue:

def, AA and/or 18650 version would be awesome. 3xAAA is sorta lame imo but I got one to try.

http://www.jbi.bike/web/ has just introduced several COB bicycle lights. They are Cygolite hotrod rear Sunlite igniter front and rear, phaser front and rear and Origin 8 x bar front and rear and two listed as just Origin 8 front and rear. I’m leaning towards the Origin 8 generic front and rear because they use LiPo batteries. A bicycle will be setting outside cooking in the sunlight which is not good for Li Ion batteries. It is not stated what kind of batteries the x bar uses and all the others use Li Ion batteries with a USB cable. About what you would expect20 to 100 lumens with 2 to 10 hour run times. These are the first generation lights. A front light needs a tight beam. LED’s have around a 5 degree beam without a lens. A rear light needs to be seen from all directions. There is no need to use a red reflector on a rear light. The LEDs produce a red light and a red reflector just absorbs light. I have a Cateye with a clear reflector. It runs 200 hours on two AA batteries. Let’s not tolerate any light that does not use a standard USB or micro USB cable.

On Aliexpress :smiley:

Something pertinent in the FastTech new arrivals thread today:
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10027165/5926100-mini-magnetic-led-flashlight

Mini keychain style COB light, runs on a pair of button cells. Magnet, three mode H/L/Strobe. Available in Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow. $2.74/each.

Nice lil light. But if I read correctly, .91 inches (almost a full inch) in depth seems awful thick for keychain light.

anyone tried this one yet? built-in 1800mAh battery, prob 18650?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-COB-LED-Magnetic-Work-Stand-Hanging-Hook-Light-Flashlight-Rechargeable-OE-/122050306750

conflicting info in the listing.terrible feedback too.
if you want that sort of thing get the $4.54 one at wallmart and stuff in 2p 18650 and a usb board.
my carlot/auto shop customers love them.
cob light

No AA version of this light yet?

I hope sooner someone would make an 18650 powered cob light :smiley:

Once again I scoured the Net, goog imgs, Ali… for an 18650 COB…
Nothin.

I originally wanted to try the light under the kitchen cabinet for added lighting. But AAA isn’t ideal.

Then found this, USB powered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimmable-6w-USB-LED-Touch-Sensor-Night-Light-Kitchen-Cabinet-Bright-White-Plug-/351826991945?hash=item51ea85db49:g:AL8AAOSwGtRXySfA

I now have 2 of them, works great. They need to make one double the length…

Got a pretty nice 3X AA aluminum COB light today off Amazon for $9
3 modes, H, L & red Strobe. Top mounted tactile switch is not clicky style but a soft press button like the electronic side switch. Godd magnet that is strong enough to support it on a flat steel surface. Copied after the Nebo Larry series. Description said batteries included but I did not receive any.

For now here is a link, more actual pics and disassembly will come later.

Vibelite Wide Beam Work Light COB Pen Light 400 Lumens

That looks good VWpieces………

I broke down at the Co-Op the other day while buying some herbicide and picked up a NEBO Lil Larry. It is the 3 x AAA version. They had them for $16 out the door so I couldn’t resist. :wink:

I am really impressed with the Aluminum models, they are quite nice.

Nebo Lil Larry

The ‘vibelite’ link should point here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HHTLGFY/ref=pd_day0_263_2/163-2984514-3626959

Aside — doing an image search, I also see these COB emitters showing up in “lantern” type lights.

These emitters all are still strips of discrete LEDs, itty bitty ones, under a continuous layer of phosphor, I think.

Came apart pretty easily. I can honestly say that other than the Lens and reflector there are No plastic parts. Caps to the COB holding lens are aluminum, tail cap all aluminum. But the Lens is slightly wider than the aluminum housing and will take a beating if dropped.
Ooooh, even got some heat sink compound in there with a cob board that touches the housing, not bad. Nothing like the $3 AAA that started this thread. High is claimed 400lm, I don’t know but it kicks the pants off the AAA. Low, claims 160, and is maybe equal to the AAA.

I am still on a quest for the elusive 18650 COB light. I have a couple others on the way, we’ll see what shows up.

Some pics all apart. And a driver of sorts. Hopefully someone well versed will buy one and give better information. All chips are unmarked.

Fixed my link, thanks.

for Lanterns I was tempted on this $7 ThorFire lantern. Actually neat with the 2X removable lights. Too many batteries though.
ThorFire LED Camping Lantern, CL06

Looking at some of the Big Larry lights this is pretty much the same. But the Copy light has ribbed tube for better grip. Finish is really good, feels thick with a deep black color. Threads look nice, coarse pitch.
All back together. Here is a size comparison of the AA vs AAA

I clicked and was disappointed to see this wasn’t about something based on a big COB like one of the Luxeons or Cree CXAs.