COB LED flashlights? discuss, point, recommend, criticize ....

26650 powered Edit: A SINGLE 26650 pushing this Cree CXA1512 at 21.1V, 0.99A.

21V, 2000 lumens, 95 CRI at 5000K

Edit: A SINGLE 26650 pushing this Cree CXA1512 at 21.1V, 0.99A. It’s the boost driver in the DQG III that started out a 7x XP-G2 light.

Looky what I found….

And from Ali… Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com

Not a fan of the color, but comes with the 18650 spacer tube: Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com

Had one of those in my Ali cart for about a month. That is the best price I have seen with ePacket shipping… just bought it.

Will try to put one of these in.
Authentic FandyFire 3W 30*LED 500LM 3000K LED Emitter (5-Pack)

since the Vibelite is no longer avail… this is also a 3xAA currently $6.23

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COB-LED-Pocket-Pen-Torch-Magnetic-Inspection-Foldable-Lamp-Flashlight-Slip-Light/252635690309?\_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&\_trkparms=aid%3D2220072%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3D16b186a8a82b4801927f68ca8b0829de%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D182361349495

More uses for COBs, fixed lighting:

and

Looking forward to some neutral white ‘3 volts’ high CRI COBs…

I like this COB led headlamp https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-3-Modes-Waterproof-COB-LED-Flashlight-Outdoors-Headlight-Headlamp-Head-Light-Lamp-Torch-Lanterna-with/32763585171.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.NxFxKP (no longer available at this seller, but there are others…)
It is very cheap and bright enough to do some repairs on a bicycle in the dark.

And i use one of these at work: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-Aluminum-Alloy-Body-LED-Super-Bright-White-Mini-Inspection-Light-Lamp-Pen-Pocket-Clip-Work/32633847243.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.VZjn1h

COD led lights are very good “work lights” because the light is not focussed to a point, it is spread out very evenly, and that makes it much better for me.
I also have a Fenix headlamp, that is very bright, but the light is focussed and that makes it less usefull as a worklight (i don’t use that very much, the very cheap COB led headlamp is used much more than the Fenix).

Finally got my 18650 cob light. Wasn’t an off the shelf light but close. Started with the Headlamp linked previously. Installed the 30 LED COB in 3000K as I also linked previously. Well it also got a couple more mods. I used a Nichia 219B 4000K on a 16mm Noctigon and 22 AWG wires through out. Optic needed some sanding to get the thicker MCPCB fitted and close the gap in the head to body. Pill does have a full shelf but it only contacts the MCPCB in a 12mm approximate raised spot in it. Good enough for the current with some good thermal compound. Driver board got a stacked 4R7 on top of the 2 current sensing resistors. Pulls 2,1A at the tail with my DMM and plenty good enough for this lights purpose. COB strip is thermal Epoxied to the housing. I sanded off the coating to flatten and prep the surface. This COB will get Hot without good heatsinking. Original board of LEDs does have a resistor and I was going to limit the COB. I could have easily cut the trace on the driver to the solder point for the wire and used a resistor there but after running it for a long time at full current it does get warm but still not enough to damage the emitters or too hot to handle. I went with full current on the COB. Tail current measures 1.4A. It is bright.

And a note. Original LED strip is pretty awful. Nasty blue ring outside the concentrate light area. Not at all sure what caused that. I did not use the original Lens.

Has anyone seen a COB light with a rheostat or dimming firmware?

I still search Ali regularly for “18650 COB”
haven’t seen anything else in the mix that is variable dimming.

Whats the intended purpose?
I am rewiring and adding a PWM dimmer to a 12V camping Fan right now actually.
Fan uses 8X D cells or 12V in via 5.5X2.1mm jack.

Just curious, I notice people mentioning a need for a low-intensity lamp for camping and wondered if the COB lights would support that.

Some COBS I have played with on the bench have a short window of operating voltage. So a POT or rheostat may not be a good idea.
But haven;t played with a PWM dimmer on one yet.

Planning a build with the low voltage rectangle type cob, seems to work ok with an adjustable pot.

Did some work on that today

FT has an 18650 light with a COB emitter on their new arrivals page:
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1/10017429/8672301-authentic-warsun-led-flashlight

Awesome description too:

Ha, very informative!

I just purchased the black aluminum work light based on the recommendations posted here. Many thanks for the additional pictures and the heads-up. It is a very, very good light (got it off aliexpress as stated here).

I wonder what a “tear magnet” does?

In line with this thread I got the work cob light via ebay (link ) and the build, weight, quality is really good. The light flickers a bit when shaken or I hit it against something (so not “bump proof”) but otherwise it is pretty much perfect for working on cars, in the garage or for hobbies. Brightness is exactly as described, I really like the tint as well.

I saw these the other day at Ocean State Job Lot.
Both run on 3 - AAA. This first one is in the style of the common cheap 3 - AAA light that has been around for years, only something is different.

The price on this next one was $4.99

In fact the WHOLE endcap was full of various type lights, worklights, headlamps etc. using this technology.