Coleman 4D camping lantern mod

Nice work.

how much capacity left your salvaged laptop 18650 batteries ?

I got exactly same Samsung cells from HP laptop pack. but they are rated for 2200mAH.

Still they have decent capacity & internal resistance. but problem is self discharging very high.

thanks!

they were between 1800 and 2000mAh for 4 out of the 6, the other two (one of the pairs) were 0V when I pulled them. I haven’t tested for self-discharge though, that’s not a bad idea!

:bigsmile: I also got 4 from 6 cells. 2 were read 0V (dead). good cells between 1200 ~ 1500mAH (original rated 2200mAH)

interesting :slight_smile: I have 5 more packs (3 Mac, 2 PC) to strip down, so I’ll be a bit more thorough this time and do a self discharge test along with all the others. I’m hoping to have enough li-po cells for another camping light!

Unless I'm mistaken macs have li-pos in them not 18650s.

you’re right, they do. The box I’m hoping to use for the next light is a perfect fit for the 2 Mac scavenged li-po cells I already have, but I’m hoping for 1 or 2 more to extend the run time.

Great work on the lantern, Matt! Love that lathe, too. :slight_smile:

thanks man! I’m doing some dangerously heavy thinking about a new helmet light for mtbing, although I’ll need a 4 jaw chuck and a bunch more bits before that happens. Twin XM-L (NW, thanks to everyone on here!) at up to 2A, Taskled Lflex driver, wireless remote on the handlebars, 2S Pana 3400mAh battery :slight_smile: Thinking is dangerous!

well, the crazy helmet light hasn't been built yet (although I'm a ways towards making the tools to make it :)) but in the meantime I finally got round to swapping out the XP-G R5 CW for a lovely Nichia 219 from IS.

Before, evil blue ugliness

after, beautiful high CRI loveliness

As the tint was pretty much the only thing i didn't like about this lantern before, I'm now very happy with it :) Plus, we're going camping with some of my wife's cousins for Memorial Day (the incentive for doing this swap), so it'll get some field testing soon.

Now onto the next mod!

Nice work. :slight_smile: Pretty much every LED lantern i have i changed the LED from the horrible blue-tint ones that came with them, to much higher CRI warmer tints.

thanks Den! My machining and light making skills have moved on somewhat but I'm still very happy with this light :) And yes, the high CRI LED made the world of difference.