Collection has serious organization problems

I don't consider that I have a "collection" but my system is closer to the Foy system than to the Alfred system :)

Actually, some of the lights are spread around to where they would be used (car, nightstand, etc) and the rest of the lights/parts/batteries are laying on and around my desk at home.

The lights I don't like anymore are on the credenza part of the desk behind some doors so I don't have to look at them :)

Arranged on my shelf in 2 main groups.

Group 1 = EDC sized

• Arranged by body colour
  • Now I've had to expand it to 2 rows, Front row for the more commonly used one
  • Head standing to allow the GITD stuff to show themselves at night

Group 2 = Larger

• Arranged by height/size
Parts/lanyards/o-rings, they tend to live in a small box, With emitters, drivers, optics spread among smaller boxes.
I don't have a huge stock of batteries for torches left (all my torches are loaded, and the recent rate of torchlight acquisition has reduced my spare batteries.... anyway, this is the drawer that slides from my table, and batteries go there, with the charged ones pointing toward the wall, the discharged pointing away. All of these are charged.

My system is similar to what Foy is doing, only less well thought out and less organized. :D

Stuff that I carry or need on a regular basis lives on a shelf next to my books. This includes smallish EDC-type flashlights, as well as lights I grab when I hear a noise in the back yard, plus two chargers and my current rotation of EDC knives. That way, I can easily grab what I need when I need it.

Stuff I need less frequently sits on a storage rack in the garage or in my hobby room. I keep small parts in one of three of those plastic pull-out drawer organizers you mount on the wall. Large parts are in shoe boxes. And there's at least one flashlight stashed away in every car, motorcycle or other vehicle we regularly use.

I'm surprised I'm not seeing more Charged/needs charged battery organization...

I have those battery holders from DX, with which I draw arrows for the orientation of charged cells, however with just a few cells loose now, my drawer does that for me and I no longer actually use those boxes anymore.

I keep my lights and batts in a drawer...and as for my charging station here is a pic.....i like to keep it all in one spot, no need to keep taking things out and then plugging them all in again. I hope to get the new charger by Jetbeam or the Xtar 6 cell charger.

Awesome thread, troop.

whodathunkitFoy

This is my new favorite thread of the day! I was just thinking about this the other day. My current collection looks similar to Foys plastic box, just all piled in.

I've been thinking about different organizer boxes or shelves that I could use.

I'll have to get some pics up when I get it sorted out.

Oh, and I totally agree about having batteries seperated into "charged" & "needs charging" boxes. I was scrambling the other day to figure out which batteries were ready to go as I needed them for a night ride.

If anyone wants to get the plastic organizer cases that are shown in the 2nd post, they are at Walmart (as mentioned) but you need to go the the Fishing Tackle section to find them! I bought two similar ones that are smaller and actually have a handle, sort of like a small attache case.

My son saw them after I had loaded them with batteries and AA/AAA lights, commented to my wife. "Wow, too bad Dad's garage isn't that organized..."

I keep mine in an 18" Black & Decker contractor tool bag/satchel. Started with a 13" model but had to up the size. Time to up the size again I'm afraid!

Check out your local B&D Outlet store. They sell great tool satchels with inside and outside pockets in various sizes for under $10. I always buy one or two when I'm there.

The BEST 18650 organizer I've seen to date is the "MTM Case-Gard" model# S-25-12-D (www.mtmcase-gard.com)

This is a shotgun shell holder for 12-20ga shells. It fits the cells perfectly, with just enough tension to keep them from sliding out.

A small bit of recycled foam in the lid makes for a cheap, secure cell storage solution for up to 25 18650s.

Pics to follow, as well as a free giveaway of one of these.

Thanks for posting these alfred. I'm gonna pick me up some of those plastic organizers.

Very worth it indeed.....

Here are some cell storage ideas:

This is originally a 12-to 20-gauge shotgun shell holder. There is just enough tension on the cells to keep them in-place. I added a piece of recycled foam to the lid to prevent any movement.

The liner can be removed, and the case used for P60 module storage - also a nice tension fit.

For AAs and AAAs, some handgun bullet storage cases work well:

I'm giving away some of these here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/4061

I have a few Plano tackle boxes from Walmart for all of my small electronic parts/e-cig atomizers. For larger things like lights I have some "Really Useful Boxes" I bought at Staples

I really want to put a shelf up soon to hold my flashlights.

I have also found that if you can find them cheap enough, poker chip cases are nice storage.

Well I'll be damned, there are times I feel a little slow on the up-take. I've got 8 or 10 of these boxes, in 5 rnd. and 25 rnd. flavors. I was just looking at 18650 battery boxes today!

I guess better slow than not at all.

I just asked my wife for this one http://www.madisonartshop.com/geinoaktoch.html for x-mas & b-day gift combined, a Gerstner International GI-530 felt lined tool box to store both my lights and pocket knifes. Currently my lights are mostly in ultrafire holsters piled on top of a two drawer file cabinet. My knives are in original packaging piled on a living room end table. And my batteries are in a zip lock bag on the kitchen counter next to the charger. If you like the traditional Gerstner toolmaker style, but would like a bigger/cheaper box, Harbor Freight has this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/eight-drawer-wood-tool-chest-94538.html?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase&hft_adv=40010&mr:trackingCode=98750F9E-782A-E011-B31E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA

The price on the Harbor Freight one is a lot more palatable than the first link! You can buy a lot of flashlights and knives for $239...

That's why I offered up the $80 Harbor Freight option. Actually Gerstner is the "gold standard" of tool boxes they have been around over 100 years and last for generations. The USA made boxes start at about $500 and go to over $3000 Gerstner International is the "budget division" made in China but to Gerstner specifications. The advantage of a wooden box is that it inhibits corrosion which is really nice for knives, but may apply to some aluminum flashlights also. The problem for me is I already purchased a lot flashlights and knives and I want a nice format to keep and display them. Call me crazy but is just seems wrong to keep a nicely crafted light or knife in a plastic box.

However, due to the corrosive nature of batteries, it does seem make sense to keep them in a separate plastic box.