Comparison of several C8's

Yep. That is the one. I just got it in last weekend and just got the KD in yesterday. I will probably be doing a for sale thread for most of these later today or tomorrow. I have a couple of modded C8’s and do not need all of these. I bought these last two for the test then release them. The Xin TD will not be going and I will be keeping the light malls U2 and U3 for hosts. Pm me if you were thinking of ordering it.

Not the same driver, and not nearly comparable quality, either. XinTD uses a Qlite driver, which is a Nanjg 105C with proprietary firmware, and as far as I know only sold by IntlOutdoor.But if you'd rather get one-third the quality for half the price, go right ahead, I guess.

XinTD Qlite driver: http://intl-outdoor.com/qlite-reva-71358-multiple-modes-circuit-board-304a-p-710.html

Convoy C8 driver: http://www.fasttech.com/products/1186301

Also, Convoy C8 uses a one-of-a-kind pill with nonstandard threads, so the only pill you're ever likely to have for it will be the one it ships with.

Thanks for the info!

If I remember correctly Tom E built a Xin TD V3 up and it did nicely but still not as well as his Lightmalls Host that he did. He also built up a Convoy C8 but I still believe that the Lightmalls is the top host.

Is the Convoy C8 really 1/3rd the quality of the XinTD? I can’t compare (don’t have the XinTD), but others that have put them much closer together in quality. Don’t want to start an argument, just didn’t think they were that far apart.
The XinTD will outperform in throw, for sure, and probably lumens too because of the emitter.
The C8 pill is non-standard, and those to want to change the pill should consider that.
I believe the XinTD is also a specialized pill and reflector, don’t they screw together? Or does the reflector screw into the host?

From Foy's review:

I don't know if the lower threads match the bare generic C8 pills. The pill & reflector assembly there is nice, but not strictly necessary. The original reflector should work with a plain pill, that would be much easier to deal with than a pill that has a different thread.

Sorry, I forgot to add another thing I had heard about the XinTD. The reflector is deeper so if for some strange reason you decided to replace it, a standard C8 reflector may be too short. Again, I can’t verify this because I do not have one.
Other than going to a copper pill it would be best to leave the original pills in both lights.
If you decide to upgrade the pill, both the XinTD and Convoy will likely need a specialized pill in order to fit properly in the host.

The XinTD is a custom brass pill with the threads for the reflector. The Convoy C8 pill is a relatively small aluminum pill, odd threadings, takes a 16mm star, not 20 mm like most other C8's. Though I really like the XinTD (just ordered another), it seemed to do a little lower than an equivalent mod'ed LM C8, but who knows, could be variations in emitters, etc. The Convoy C8 is a quality host though and great deal as a host, if only it came with an SMO - another $3 has to be added. The Convoy C8 stock models are screwed up - no XM-L2 option, SMO for the 3C tint, OP for the U2 1B - they got that backwards.

Yup, agreed, the Convoy line is getting old. They should clearance this stock and build up new ones with XM-L2 and add the reflector as an option like they do with driver and emitter.

Thanks for sharing your findings. Would be curious to see the Convoys too… for giggles.

I am also surprised and confused by the LM u3. I don’t own one though.

The LM xml2 and xinTD seem to match my observations with the two I own. My TD is a v3 t6 3c, but still seems in line with your results generally speaking.

Would be nice if we could keep adding to this thread. There are so many C8 variations around.

That is supprising the lightmalls is lagging so much , even the highly touted Kaidomain KDC8XML2-U2 I bought that due to its reviews is well behind the lightmalls xml-u2 Well I hope my Lightmalls C12Xml2-u2. Works to be decent.

Tim, did you see what I did with that 'orrible little XR-E C8 I got from you a while back?

Giant tree in the center is at least 150' tall (only around the upper half is visible, it's steeply downhill from the camera location) and 350-375' away... :)

the lightmalls u3 has always been done down, it could be a bad batch of emitters, could be as simple as a crap reflector centring device/reflector/lense/poor focus.

Personally, unless I manage to build something amazing out of all the bits I now have, or I just decide the x3 is fine in this loose form factor, I would still recommend the xintd c8 as THE c8 to aspire too, it has been well developed by someone who really understands the whole product and the development of the flashlight scene - choice of ultimate output cw, nice nw and now high output hi cri, choice of modes including a moon low, well finished host, good reflector, a/r lense, easily upgraded driver.

The rest are really hotrods compared to a bmw m3/supercharged jag/amg merc - good at one thing, not really good as a whole package.

Thanks for the testing rdr and manx, I now have something to aim at with my own c8 build, I just intend to sacrifice total lumens a bit for more throw, I think both tom e and comfychair have already gone in a similar direction with dammed good results.

I think that the U3 is the only Lightmalls C8 that disappointed though. The others all did pretty well. I hope your c12 turns out well too.

Dayum!! :open_mouth: Specs?

And where is that location? It looks like Narnia or something haha

I should explain what I meant by efficiency. Shoot me down as you please.
Two identical leds driven at the same current. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the cooler led will have a higher light output. So a better designed pill with more accurately machined threads will get rid off heat more efficiently.
Reflector design. Same leds again. A better designed reflector will be more efficient at putting the leds light output where you want it.
Same with the switch. I’m not sure whats in the XinTD but everyone bypasses the switch including me getting current readings. If the switch is more efficient more light output and it goes on.
Put all the above together and you get a light that performs better at lower currents than a poorly designed light or cheaply built light at higher currents.

Solarforce S1100 XML vs. S1100 MTG2 beamshots posts #29 & #38

Swapped the switch for a forward clicky, jumper wires on both springs, DrJones' Nlite code on a 12x7135 driver set to H-M-L-moon with no memory (always starts on high), Sinkpad, de-domed XML2 U2 1C.

very nice.
12x7135! Jesus! :smiley:

Meh, with that many and only a single cell it's effectively like direct drive on high mode, actual current depends on how well the cell handles the voltage sag under load.

Thanks for that. But this really sucks. There is no standard dependable output improvement with the successive emitters. We should be well over 1,300 lumens by now and still over 1,000 at around 5 minutes of use. I know these are at different drive currents, but I mean if you have to drive the emitters through the roof to see a noticeable improvement, then what’s the use? And how are the more expensive lights boasting 1,300ish ANSI numbers anyway?