Computers

Started with DOS (about 17 years ago), and have tried/used all M$ Windows. No probs even with ME and Vista, don't know/understand why so many people hate them. Only had a few problems with beta drivers (in last decade with diff OS, less that 10 in total). If you know how Win works... you shouldn't have any probs with it ;)

I like Mac (and Mac OS too). Can't buy it because of its price. Too expensive, IMO. For that price I can build a MUCH better PC. Anyway, still prefer Win (I use Win7 Ultimate 64 right now)

I like Linux too :bigsmile: But yeah, I have to agreed with Matt. I only have it because I like try new stuff, but for daily use, Win7 all the way 8) I use latest Ubuntu right now. Still can't get used to last UI :~ Needs more time. But again, no prob here, I just need to use console for some things. Quite stable OS.

I build PCs (on demand), repair PCs and sell them.

i started with windows 3.1, went on to 95, then 98, then to xp and its variants, and then vista, and now windows ultimate 7 64 bit

i have also tried all sorts of linux ditros, and live distros, but i always feel like its lacking/missing something. and usually there is a lot of configuring to just get it set up.

never got big on mac though. we didnt have that kind of cash growing up, and i can build a pc way better for the price, and can dual boot it if i want to now that mac is basically an atx form factor now, and is the same hardware as windows... iirc

Another Zombie thread revival! 1/2010 to 9/2011 without action...

My Home PC; built about 2.5/3 years ago; was a budget build at the time:

• Dual Core AMD 64-bit CPU of some speed. Don't know/care any more
  • 2GB of RAM just upgraded to 6GB last week. I can't tell a difference in performance
  • ~500GB HD
  • GeForce 9800GT video card with 1GB (IIRC)
  • 19" Samsung LCD
  • Win7 Pro 64-bit

The entire build cost about $500 when I assembled it, and it's still serving me well. I initially loaded an early Win7 beta build, followed by the final RC release. When it expired, I bought the Win7 license and have had no issues. Everything runs well and I have had no problems with slow performance or crashes. Working on computers for a living has kind of killed the enjoyment. This box is enough for internet access, and will play any games I want very well (HL2 and the sequel episodes, Portal, Bioshock).

Now, if we could just get reliable high speed internet in rural areas. Cry

always wondered how many BLFers were/are pc modders

... XP and i downloaded win8 last night , we will see how that goes

Next OS system for me will have to be 7 since all i hear are good things about it........

Hi Wade!

Welcome to the PBG4 users club! The MacBook Pro I used to use (Which I got for free because an insurance company had just written it off due to sparkling wine poisoning) died horribly (with smoke) and I've been using a PBG4 since as I can't afford to replace the MBP.

It is now getting close to 7 years old and can't do Flash any more (And this is a problem exactly how?). And the battery doesn't last very long any more. But it is what sits on my desk at work and does all that I need to to do rather better than the Pentium D POS that my employer issued me (and 2 others) with.

Sorry to be off-topic from a topic in an off-topic forum, but I have to say I was a bit surprised when I saw you listed two games I've come to enjoy quite a bit and I'm not even a gamer at all. I have very little gaming history and the only thing I play anymore is Kinect (easily the greatest innovation MS has put in the market), but when I played Bioshock (neighbor bought it and never played it) I got really involved. I enjoyed playing by myself at night usually before I'd sleep. And just recently (and I mean just a couple weeks ago) I finally gave Portal a spin and I'm really digging it. It turned out to be just what I was looking for; It's a multi-level FPS type gameplay but with puzzles so you can move at your own pace. It's quite clever and perfect as an Arcade download. I didn't do the Orange Box so I think this "Still Alive" download has more content.

It is, and if you use a SSD as OS disk it gets really really good : )

It has one downside though, the winsxs folder grows as you update the OS (mine is at almost 6gb for a 11 month old install).

64Bit 1090 AMD 6 Core @ 4GHZ

8Gig Ram

1TB SATA3 HDD

5850 ATI Graphics

24inch LED monitor

And yes , I play a few games ..

I used to build my own & for friends at work.... Maybe 20-30 machines done by the years. Some new, some coughed up from used parts by demand of which customer whenever...

Started with 386/40 and going on now just on my 8th platform. (C64 naturally the first).

Now I own just a basic ASUS N71J laptop :|

I quess I got tired, had too much family affairs and had to cut time from computing.

Running on Windowses, some tries on others.

Yep, FreeBSD based...(so technically not Linux, but that distinction might be too techie for most people) .... not as many features as other Unix branches, but rock solid and reliable. Some parts of MacOS are reported to have a FreeBSD history. My monowall runs on a 32MB flash compact flash drive on an old Igel Winnet III thin client (fanless) and draws ~14 Watts of power. Monowall is nice because you can do traffic shaping and quality of service pretty easy. Also hardware firewalls are so much better than those softwalls.

FYI the cake is a lie....

My MBPU runs 7 for my HL2 source based games, CSS, Portals, HL2, and LFS for my racing needs.

dual booting win doze "works" on an intel mac, but I wouldn't call it 100% yet, the apple drivers always need more work...

A hardware firewall is better than a softwall (presumably software based firewall)? Hate to tell you, but m0n0wall is a software based firewall - It's not a custom ASIC or dedicated firewall 'chip' that does the processing, it's the standard x86 processor executing instructions at the kernel and userspace level of the FreeBSD operating system. IPTables does most of the routing and several different pieces of software handle the traffic shaping/qos and packet inspection.

Most of the firewalls that people classify as 'hardware' firewalls, aren't. The vast majority employ a linux kernel compiled for ARM and use IPTables just like M0n0wall.

PPtk

is your version of windows pirated also? lol

XP, Mint 9 and also Puppy Linux on anything (from a bootable pendrive that is always in my pocket).

Puppy Linux on a Pen Drive ...

Yeah , had some old 256meg pen drives , pop'ed puppy linux on them [ bootable ]

Was able to do a full install of Ubuntu 8 onto a 2 GIG pen drive , but USB 2 lagged something awful ..

Was much faster with the MB being USB 3 , USB 3 pen drives should make bootable USB much friendlier ..

Ive got Mini XP on a pendrive ...

Still waiting for the price and availability of USB to become more favorable ...

LoVe the concept of a Operating system on a pen drive ... Will do it again when I get a USB 3 pen drive .

The beauty of Puppy is that unless you remaster it and load a lot of extra programs into the iso it will usually run entirely in ram on PC's with 256MB or more. So its not slow from a pendrive in the way that the bigger Linux distro's are.

My pendrive also has a set of Windows Portable Apps on it including a lot or utilities for repairing faulty Windows installations, so its kinda like a software multi-tool in my pocket and indeed actually sits in a small pouch along with a (hardware) multi-tool that I always carry.

My current rig. I've built 4 systems in this old case, this one is about 3 years old. Was fairly cool then, not so much now.

-10 year old Antec Super Lanboy case

-Trupower Quattro 1,000 watt PSU

-Gigabyte P35 board

-Q6600 2.4 quad core

-4 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (4-4-4-12)

-Radeon HD 2600 XT (1 GB memory)

-Intel X25 solid state OS drive

-750 GB Barracuda x 2 (raid 0 )

-1 TB Barracuda

-1.5 TB Barracuda

-2 TB Deskstar x 2 (raid 0 )

- 4 TB Duo Pro external (e-SATA/2 x 2 TB raid 0 )

-Soundblaster 2ZS

-ATi TV card

-Sony Lightscribe DVD

-Samsung DVD

I'm running Vista because every time I think of buying Windows 7, I think of something else I want more with that money. My wife has an HP laptop that I use sometimes and it's running W7.

computernotcoolanymoreFoy

Why not? :D

Yes, of course.