Convert a multiple led light to infrared?

Spotlight 10$
Step up 3.5$
Battery case 5$
—————————-
. 18.5$

And you would get 30-40Leds….

I have no experience with this ir LEDs but five LEDs sounds not so bright…

Try ebay for better prices. What country are you in?

ir led module ebay $2.79 36 leds.
48 leds module in a nice enclosure ~$8
Does it need to be battery powered? You could get an 12v AC adapter. You could extend the cable a bit if needed.
$2.17 for a LM2577 Step-up Module on ebay

For hunting with night vision I turned the lens on an it laser backwards and defocused it works great with gen2 googles
Not sure of your use though if it were to be pointed at someone it would be bad
Prior to hunting I also snap some ir chemlights for distance marking

If I get one of those LM2577 Modules, I would just solder the wires from the battery to the +/- In on the module and the illuminator to the +/- out?

How many 18650s would I need to wire together? more than 12v in total nominal voltage?

LM2577 input voltage : 5V-32V

Need two 18650s in series. You can use a couple pairs (each 2 series pair in parallel with other pairs). Not sure how many is needed for a decent runtime. Use only batteries with quality protection. NCR18650B Protected 3400mAh Series batteries must have real protection.

You do need a multimeter to set the LM2577 module’s voltage to 12v since its adjustable.

I agree with a lot of what’s been said heir starting with keltex78. White light leds wont produce IR. You need yellow light, maybe halogen if you want to use filters. You might want to check the t20 lamp out for a budget v good ir torch also check the difference between 870nm 930nm with IR. You will find that the Sony camera works much better with the 870nm (as Helios- explained). one last tip… If you have an old laptop battery you can open the casing and selvage the 18650s out of it saving a lot of £££ or $$$. have fun.