Converting Courui spot to flood

Hi,

Just wondering if there’s a way (replacement reflector, etc) to convert the “big-head” triple 18650 Courui to more of a floody rather than that super narrow spot with almost no spill. Also looking for a better tint for it. I blew the driver out and removed it so now its no driver/direct drive with a .5Ω resistor in series and homemade twisty tail cap switch (since the e-switch doesn’t work anymore.) It draws a little over an amp so I’m hoping for about a 7.5 hr runtime. (Yes I know I’m wasting power with the resistor but it’ll do in the meantime … the main thing is the beam profile. TIA.

If you do go threw with this (ditching the reflector, whether it’s using VOB’s method or not) I would offer to buy it from you. I received a courui with a damaged reflector and I went ahead and built it up, testing the new electronics I made specifically for it but it’s not really a usable light cause of the reflector damage. If you’re not using your reflector I could pay you for it (or trade a driver or whatever).

What about a diffuser Film on the Lens?
A Pringles lid could be fitted with a Lighter to fit on the bezel if you want to make it removable?
Just sand or make it milky with some fancy chemicals.

Thanks for the reply C_K. I’m not really looking for a multi-emitter, just staying w/ single. I’d be happy to trade my reflector (it is in excellent shape) for a medium-large flood reflector, and a good tint NW LED … and a driver too would be nice … too much to ask for ? ;]

ehhhh ? no I don’t think so … :stuck_out_tongue: thanks for the suggestion tho … :smiley:

I have a Pringles diffuser for my courui, sanded from both sides and it gives pure flood is detacheable and cheap(piece of garbage and less than 10 minutes work)
You can sand it to the amount you need.
It would be a shame to permanently mod a courui to less throw.

Pringles lid… I thought you were kidding … maybe I’m using the wrong term … yeah that it … wrong wording … “Searchlight” ! That’s what I mean … like a SRK … more spill, less throw but not knocking down the lumens output … it’s Monday and I didn’t get enough sleepz … - — zzz

Well I’m going to chime in and also suggest some kind of a diffuser. The pringles lid might be a touch heavy on diffusion but it will certainly spread out the hotspot nicely for you.
Loss of output will be somewhat of a factor depending on the diffuser material but even light diffusion can do wonders to a throwy light like this. Seeing as you want to cover a larger area with the light than the stock setup this will be a good, easy and more importantly completely reversible option. The whole point of a big reflector-ed light like the courui is to throw, shame to lose that reach and there’s plenty of floodier options out there.

Alternatively to get something closer to a flood light out of the courui (retaining the stock reflector) you would have to stick in a big emitter like an mt-g2. That would also give you a nicer tint.
Not the most straight forward mod though, here have a look at how Old-Lumens did it.

The answer is probably still ‘diffuser’. The entire lens does not have to be covered, you can partially diffuse it in order to achieve some sort of throw/flood balance.

The single LED Courui is not going to beat an SRK though, period. The SRK takes up less space and will give more output.

+1 on the fact that the SRK is simply a very bright floodlight and modding the Courui will not be what you want. It is a spotlight and it would be easier to just pick up a SRK or clone.

Otherwise, if you want it more floody, then stipple the reflector. Anything you do, will cut down on output.

Yep, if you want a dedicated flood light DON’T get a courui! :stuck_out_tongue:

Here is a shot of a removable diffuser I made for my Apex 5T6 (already a floody light, but sometimes it’s nice to have an even wall of light starting right at your feet)
It’s just a piece of a semi transparent plastic, came off a document folder if I remember correctly and I bent some copper wire into hooks, then added a spare oring to keep it all in place. It’s rough and ready, but it works extremely well.

Just use DC-Fix.

Where’s the best place to start with that? OP wants a beam like an SRK.

Maybe a circle of ~2/3 the lens diameter, right in the center of the lens?

Not if you want to eliminate the sharp hostpot entirely. The defined center of the hotspot is actually projected from the outer most part of the reflector!
That’s also why we see a “hole” in the center of the beam at closer range.

Thanks you all for the responses guys! Please don’t get me wrong, I like the Courui; it’s got a nice feel and balance to it, that’s why I like it. I already have a couple of SRK’s and don’t really need any more. I like the removable diffuser idea around the edge … or in the middle … or an asperic lens maybe … looks like it may be experimentation time … Woot! :party:

PS - What’s the DC fix ?

Right, I’m with you there. DC-fix is pretty severe though, I was thinking that applying DC fix starting around the edge might attack the hotspot too much. I’ve never tried to establish a happy medium by partial application. (Thus my question.) If nobody posts much perspective on partial application it might be useful to ask some MTB folks like RBD.

It’s a diffusion / privacy film. IIRC it’s DC-Fix Sand which we normally use. Purchase it in small sheets for a small savings or now you can purchase an entire roll from Amazon very cheaply:

one circle around 1/3 of the diameter of the reflector that cover the edge of the glass and the rest is en empty circle made from whatever semitransparent cheap material is my solution. pretty much what wight suggest, but not to cover the middle but the periphery of the glass. to kill the throw play with covering the edges and live open the middle part .

Ok, sounds like a plan. Thanks everybody, semi-transparent removable diffuser material it is then. I didn’t really want to ruin that deep reflector throw, I just wanted a more universal light with
even spill and hours of runtime for extended night use if needed.
I’ll experiment with cutting the material around the peripheral as suggested then maybe the center or combinations thereof.
Thanks again and Cheers !