Convoy 7135*4 & 7135*6 Runtime

@Otanacious - Point taken about the strobe - I guess I never really considered that too much. I’ve been using a SWM V10A which is nowhere near as bright as an 18650 light would be. However most of my riding is done during the day though, so hopefully the 18650 doesn’t prove to be overpowering, especially when dipped down so that it doesn’t shine directly at oncoming traffic.

Interesting about the Carclo lens - that looks rather handy for a bike light. Will look into it!

Thank you.

I have two Cateye HL-EL135Ns that are on blinking mode while I ride during the day for oncoming traffic visibility, so I think using the strobe on the S2+ during the day would be ideal, but care to point it down once the sun starts to set.

As for the 10197, after reading garrybunk's thread on diffusing techniques I definitely wanted to have a 30*60 wide beam. If you're in the states, LEDSupply has them for $1.25 shipped w/ tracking, otherwise Intl-Outdoor has them in a 2-pack for $2.65.

Thanks Otanacious. Ordered the S2’s and the 30*60 lens. For $2.65 for two of the lens - it’s worth trying.

Safe riding!

If I’m not mistaken the S2+ is an 18350 light, if so run time will be considerably less than if the 18650 S2 were used.

It comes either as an 18650 or an 18350/16340 variant.

I bought the 18650 version ( at least I hope so! :slight_smile: )

Edit:
18350/16340

Ah, I didn’t realize it was available as an 18650.

That’s basically correct, but drivers are rarely 100% efficient. Typically high will be the most efficient mode, but it still isn’t perfect. I usually use this formula, then multiply by 0.85 or 0.9 to calculate 85% or 90% efficiency.

Excellent, thank you. I’ve noted this for future reference as it will come in handy as I get farther into modding :slight_smile:

Different drivers have different efficiencies as well. Linear drivers (like these 7135 based drivers) are more efficient, but the PWM in the lower modes reduce efficiency a bit. Boost/Buck drivers are less efficient, typically 70-80%. Just change the coefficient depending on the driver you are using.

I’d imagine that (battery capacity / current draw * factor) also has to take into account when the light or battery cuts off due to protection. Most of my lights shut off around 2.9v - 3v so any remaining battery capacity is useless. However I’d guess that the remaining amount is too small to be noticeable.

True. Some batteries also have reduced capacity when run at high currents.

I would add that for high-current drivers (6-8x7135) runtime will probably be longer than estimated by the formula.
Only a fully charged battery will normally be able to provide say 2.8 amps, so during a large part of the dischagre cycle it will be working at lower currents thus reducing brightness and increasing runtime. For 4*7135 this effect is already negligible, I guess.

Those lenses fit inside the s2+?
Instead of the reflector?

Yep.

The ones from Int. Outdoor as described as 23.8 mm diameter x 12.8 Height whereas 10197 Carclo Lens from LED supply are 20mm and look slightly different. Simon’s Convoy store in ebay sells and recommends 20 x 11.2 (0.58$/ea.) and those are shown to fit perfectly in convoy s2+ out of the box. So anybody really tested the Int-outdoors? Would like to buy from simon but he sells in 10-packs :frowning:

I saw that too until Hikelite told me in my WTB thread told me the added size are just the optic holders, most likely can take them out. :)

Please don’t use strobe on a bike. It is not only very distracting, but dangerous. It can dazzle on coming traffic and judging speed and distance of a flashing light is far more difficult than a static one.

If you note, cars do not use flashing lights to mark their position.

Thanks, so did you buy them from Int.Out?. But from your thread it seems you were interested on a fit for a Convoy 2. I understand from this thread that the s2 could need a spacer and the s2+ not for the model that simon sells in alliexpress. I am still confused, anybody has really tried (1st-hand) the Int.Outdoors in a convoy s2+?

Originally it was for the S2 yes, and RMM does not have single emitter spacers (nor do they exist AFAIK). I ended up getting an Eagle Eye X2 which is practically an S2+ with a different driver and 10197 optics from LEDSupply. I've yet to try the optics from IOS since LEDSupply is much more convenient (in the states).

if you have the AVR USB isp programmer and a clip you can configure your own modes, so you don’t have to limit them by limiting the number of 7135 regulators.
There are also some drive firmewares whece you can reconfigre modes with clicks of the button.