Convoy BD04 UV 365nm flashlight, Nichia led inside

I foresee the dawn of an era in wich I will have more UV-lights than CW-lights. :nerd_face:

It appears that the inside of the light is blacked out so it wont react to the UV. Wise move Simon. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the review,I just ordered one.
What a hassle :slight_smile:

It’s a heck of a deal when you consider the cost of the LED and host if you were to make one yourself. You would also need to remove 2 of the 4 AMC7135 chips too.

Darn that was pretty quick all the way from china.
I have to say I am impressed.My other uv light is nitecore cu6 chameleon which I love but it is much more than just a uv light.
Initial impression the convoy has an easy 40foot reach (zoomie) so I am impressed.
It is not even dark yet,and I am not at the beach or in the desert but this is what I wanted.
Thanks for the heads up about this light.

Which UV LED flashlight has the better Nichia 365nm UV LED inside - the Convoy S2+ UV 365nm Nichia or the Convoy BD04 UV 365nm Nichia ?

Booth do use 18650, so what’s the difference between them ?

aliexpress.com/store/product/convoy-UV-365nm-flashlight-nichia-led-inside/330416_32405584869.html
aliexpress.com/store/product/S2-black-UV-365nm-flashlight-nichia-365UV-in-side/330416_32515105965.html

Is there more than one kind (or better and worse kinds) of Nichia 365nm UV LED?

The difference I see is the host: one is a BD04 (zoom) and the other host is a S2+

Hi, I’m new to the forum but learning a quit the click thanks to the many of you experts and spending lots of money since joining but loving every bit of it, GB’s you know.
The reason I was reading this thread is that I am going to be installing trits with Norland and need UV light of course with what I believe the recommended 365nm and this looks to me like what I need.
I read somewhere here that Simon is close to this forum and reputable to boot and to my recollection he gives a bit of a discount I believe just by mentioning that your a member of BLF?
I’m not exactly sure of that or anything frankly since this will be a first try at trits for me, but thought I’d read it somewhere in my endless meanderings here.
I am hoping one of you could fill in any blanks for me, if any, or if I should just head to Simon and tell him what I’m up to,
I’ve been told that if he says something is so spec wise that you can count on it and that’s what I’m hoping for, I’ve read to much about UV’s saying one thing and not delivering,
Could you please tell me if I am correct re: this light and how is it I should approach Simon with an order that will suit my ailing/curing needs for these trits?
Thanks in advance,

Happy to throw in my brief history it it helps, I am a careful buyer that recently bought a couple of lights from Simon, one is the Nichia 365nm. A mini power house, like it, and I’m glad it is adjustable focal. Quality products, and quality service- taking into account the time difference. I probably did enough pre-buying research about his business for the both of us and our kids :wink:

A notable suggestion by others that has proven beneficial is to keep communication wording to bare minimum. IMO he would be happy with a message reading like a spec sheet. Less chance of mistakes and its more efficient for everyone.

Shipping was 16 days.

I’d like to be comfortable with trits, so I could offer some friendly advice, but you’re over my head. They sound interesting and familiar for some reason but maybe its just the spelling. :wink: I am still curious

Cool. :wink: I enjoyed the definition and gleaned some memorable information to share. Tritium gun sites come back to me now. Thank you.

One thing I have noticed here at BLF is the sharing of the latest tech discovered, and the best bang for your buck!

Oh, before I forget I think you will appreciate this thread:

(Can’t tell ya anything you aren’t going to absorb more efficiently without me muddlin it up) :smiley: I found it pretty exciting and I am sure you will too.

I’m really interested in owning a build with this, ASAP. Until that time, I will say again how nice Simons light is to use. The adjustable focus at beam is just shy of laser intensity compared to the flood. I think it would blister cure media! lol

It sounds like you are an old hand at this and if so, congrats and enjoy, Holler back when convenient!

Edit: Anyhow I also have bad habit of going to long on posts, you can read below my admission to that… Later, Really nice meeting you…!!

I love UV lights. But, one thing I don’t like is that the ones I have put out a lot of visible violet light as well. Are there UV lights around the 365nm wavelength that put out very little visible light? Can the LED do this, or would it require a blocking filter on the lens?

The human Eye can see 365nm, so you asking the impossible.
You have to reduce your ability to see this wavelenght or put a UV-cut filter in front of the lens.

Edit: I do know one thing about myself, I have tendencies to over think something and I might just be doing that now…??

Oh, okay. I thought 365nm was invisible to the human eye. Should that not be considered violet, rather than ultraviolet?

Hey guys.
I need a good 365nm to demo/present some GLOW Finishes and I think the BEST is the Convoy Nichia with the Zoom to zoom out on a larger area.

I needed something quick so I ordered this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DBRPRCU/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_1?qid=1456257642&sr=8-1-spell&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Foremsic+3+watt+UV+LIGHT#featureBulletsAndDetailBullets_secondary_view_div_1456257640851

The graph shows a nice steep cutoff around 365nm-
Will Amazon Merchant actually send this light ?

Anyway- the Nichia with the coating from AliExpress is probably best but will take soooo long so I ordered the “Forensic” one.
Look for me on CSI Miami lol.

I also saw a Zoom 4 watt from Mastiff with a twist zoom…but light quality may suck.

What are the chances of the emitter matching the Graph on the one from Amazon?
3% ? 7? .043 ?

Anyway I see the Convoy at 2 different prices at about $36 and $42 which one has the Zoom out ?

Thanks.

My understanding is that most people can not see below about 380nm.

The problem is to keep the UV peak at 365nm with a steep cutoff at 370nm for near invisibility.
Cheaper LEDs have white leakage and less precise emitter so a filter helps I have heard and read recently all this.

check out the uv led that led4power is selling, very good output, with UV filter it outputs almost no visible light. djozz did a review also.

Well-I am not a Buulder-so where can I get this led in a host with Zoom out function already?

And of the two on AliExpress which has the Zoom function and better Pure 365nm with almost no stray visible light ?

@Don5946 OK so which exact one did you get ?

Also wondering if I get one IF it can light up a 6 X8 foot wall of Fluorescent Dye in a dimly lit area.

Impressed by the good performance of the aspheric and wondering IF he can also make a higher current white LED aspheric super thrower Dereelight type in this Form ( maybe a rotating head Zoom) at $40 to $50 ?

(I know there are differences between people up to which wavelength they can see, but as far as I know 365nm is for most people almost completely invisible, it is for me. )

A great 365nm flashlight from Simon’s store is this one: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/S2-black-UV-365nm-flashlight-nichia-365UV-in-side/330416_32515105965.html
It will cure Norland effortlessly in seconds (ok, I did half a minute to be sure), and the Nichia led puts out only a very small amount of visible light.

To get rid of all visible light you could replace the lens of the above flashlight with a 20mm ZWB2 filter: http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_266823.html