Convoy C8+ (CSLNM1 vs W5050SQ3): Which should you get?

3 Thanks

Who makes the W5050SQ3 - there’s very little info out there?

Not sure, been trying to find out myself. There’s the Yiding 5050 but I think this is different. Probably some Chinese manufacturer.

1 Thank

I get “Server not found” errors for those links?

https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/1623011D:CH

Guangdong Lumen Pioneer Opto Co., Ltd. operates as an electronics components manufacturing company. The Company produces and sells high-end ceramic high power light emitting diode components and other products. Guangdong Lumen Pioneer Opto markets its products throughout China.

I’ve been itching to try something new in my Convoy Z1. I’m not so sure on the Yinding 5050 after buying a Speras M4 with one in it- low power tint leaves a lot to be desired!

Yeah, the site must be down.
I’ve been on their site in the past though.

The Osram is proven technology and AFAIK made in Germany. I would pick this over an unknown
LED.

For me the W1, simply just doesn’t produce enough Lumens and the W2 creates a weird beam.

I do plan on making a W1 triple in the near future though.

1 Thank

It does put the lumens it produces exactly where it counts though, more than most other LEDs.

1 Thank

Username checks out.

4 Thanks

I just found Convoy do sell it separate, somehow I missed that when searching https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005006129451598.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Simon mentioned in one of the Convoy threads he smoked one testing @ 8 Amps.

The super narrow pencil beam is really cool in the c8+, but you can get almost as narrow a beam from a cslnm1 or yinding 5050 in a much smaller host. They’re throwy in almost anything.

And the c8+ thermals are really, really good. An emitter thats only going to use ~15W, in a host that big, with a reflector that big…a cslnm1 in there feel like a wasted opportunity.

So I say put the w1 or yinding 5050 in a d1v2, you can even use the 18350 tube, and save the c8+ for higher powered stuff. I like the sft40 and the bigger yindings alot

1 Thank

You ever see a w1 turned on without a reflector or anything? It’s kinda hilarious. Makes like no light at all lol

What optic do you think you’re going to use for that triple? Im planning one of those too

1 Thank

I’d be building it for maximum throw so I had planned on using a 10507 Carclo Lens

Triple anything is pretty much the worst configuration possible for throw. And triple W1 doesn’t even get you that much output. A single SFT40 in a conventional reflector (or a single 20mm TIR) is mechanically much simpler and gives you more output AND more throw with the same power consumption. And you won’t get a wonky beam like W1s in any optic. Consider it.

The triple W1 and triple W2 I got have plenty of throw :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Thank

I have a couple lights with SFT40.

I just like triples, I guess that’s why I own 20+ of them.

1 Thank

What else am I supposed to do with 3 spare w1’s and the noctigon 3P mcpcb I only bought so my total was over $40 tho?

2 Thanks

I would still build it :wink:
I’m pretty happy with my W1 build

3 Thanks