Convoy C8+ SST40 design problem?

Recently got my first two budget lights from BG.
The Astrolux ec03 and the Convoy C8+ sst40(4-mode driver).

Love them, but the C8 has already died. BG will sent me a new one.

I noticed the top ring with the glass was a bit loose. So I tightened it, I’m guessing half a turn, and it didn’t light up anymore afterwards.
Unscrewed everything and then I noticed the led bead was still in the reflector and the pcb still in the housing :frowning:

I wonder if this is my mistake or a design problem.

Also, I read here that the C8 has a wire soldered in both tailcap and driver spring but mine only has the wire in the tailcap.

Searched the forum for similar problems but couldn’t find any.

Not sure I understand what you meant…

Can you take a picture of the LED / reflector?

~

Regarding the soldered wire on the driver (spring-bypass wire) = this depends on the batch of Convoy’s SST40 40-mode driver. Earlier batches used to have a smaller spring and a bypass-wire will benefit it more. The newer SST40 4-mode driver now has a thicker spring, I think it can carry current nearly as well as a bypassed-wire, so Convoy didn’t bypass the thicker spring (just my guess).

Oh sorry.
What I meant was I twisted/ripped the 4mm led bead from the 20mm pcb simply by tightening the top ring with the glass and reflector underneath.
When I unscrewed everything I noticed the tiny led was still stuck in the reflector.

Already soldered it back in place so I can’t take a picture, sadly it still doesn’t work (took a guess on polarity)

It may have been reversed.
Try reversing the cables to rule out.

[Edit] The dot (or square) in the corner indicates the anode (positive).

Thank man! Never noticed the little dot. Reversed the polarity and it works again. :slight_smile:
How come they don’t die if polarity is wrong??

And still curious about the initial problem.

I’ve gone through 200+ C8’s and C8+ models and I’ve never experienced this, sounds like a bad reflow

Monday morning product probably. The wire in the tailcap already broke. !

Where did you purchase it? If through Convoy’s AliExpress store they give a 1 year warranty. This is kind of expected when buying a torch that has a bypass, I install better springs on all that I sell

Banggood. And I already received a new one through warranty cause of the led bead breaking of.

I did order “luminus sst40 6500k with DTP copper board” at the Convoy AliExpress to replace it and it works fine now.
And also soldered a new wire in there. (didn’t even bother to contact customer service for such an easy fix)

But it does leave me wondering about Convoy quality(control)
And I know it’s a budget light …but still.

I’ve had heaps of bypasses break from Sofirn and Convoy, it’s not something that can be helped when the flashlight community demands the highest possible lumens, we asked for bypasses.

Convoy now has high current springs but the tail cap is bypassed still due to them still having old stock

Diodes were used long before the wonders of silicon were discovered.
The priciple task of a diode is to let through the current in only one direction.
A diode does not die from reversing. It just doesn’t conduct the current in the opposite direction.

Some people noticed that some diodes emitted light, as by-product, when conducting current.
Other people took this further and developped diodes just for the purpose of emitting light.
Put them in a clear housing and presto, the Light Emitting Diode (LED) was born.

Ghehe…you got a point there. :smiley:
Just getting into the hobby, still have to learn stuff like that. (in response to funtastic)

maybe it was fake convoy . get convoys from simon, his are real and have no issues, anywhere else (like dv, kd bg…) is a lottery

as I said, I’ve had heaps of Sofirn and Convoy bypasses break, it’s normal.

i was not referring to bypass as much as i was to led, and reflector situation, i have half a dozen of convoys, none has any bypass, thou mine are s2, s2+ s6

Okay, since his has only a bypass in the tail it’ll be from Convoy, they use better driver springs now. Sounds like just a poor reflow using too little solder paste.

that could be so, or the led was misaligned slightly, so instead of fixing the situation, they unscrewed the bezel, once the op tightened it, it took the led out, hence my suspicion it maybe fake, i know this would most likely never happen with simon’s lights, he is known on several continents and pretty much everyone i know has only good things to say about him, world class service, some do have complaints about delivery times, but it is postal service disruption rather than him.

Eh…who’s Simon?

Sorry, but that is part of BLF-lingo.
He means Simon Mao, the owner of CONVOY

Looking at the pic, the bypass wire was soldered between the coil of the spring to the outside of the switch pcb… bottoming out the spring or coil bind seems to have ripped/pulled/sheered off the bypass from the board… soldering the bypass to the inside of the spring is better…