Convoy C8 wierd behavior

So I’ve built some C8s with the BLF X5/X6 drivers yesterday. And I just got my clamp meter, so I figured I’d do some testing.

Something strange is going on. When I get to the 5th or 6th it just flickers and goes back to the first mode again. This is only when I try to measure the current, when the tailcap is on everything works as it should.

For the heck of it I put together another one, this time using the BLF A6 driver and everything works when testing the current draw. I measured it at 6.10 amps.

What could be the problem here?

This is a known issue with that driver, caused by high current. See here: Strange Malfunction X6 / Astrolux S2 with INR batteries ! ?

Thanks! But I’m not having this problem that it drops out of turbo. It works as is should when put together. Sure there is a tiny flicker when I turn it on in turbo, but that’s it. There is no dropout.

It sounds like it is “dropping out” of the high modes and going back to the first mode? This sounds like the symptoms in the link? It might only happen when you measure the current with the clamp meter because the people tend to use a low resistance shunt and this means the current will be higher than when the light is assembled with the tailcap.

Ah, that make perfect sense! Then its probably because of that. Thanks again!

No problem. I hope the driver ends up working out for you.