【convoy】Golden S3 available now

Also, I’m seeing reports that driving the LED at 3A is a bit much for the 35AM.

Is it true?

Yes, with less phosphors around the dies, so it has less tint shift than a single E21A. As long an OP reflector is used the beam usually look quite good.

Since it doesn’t have a neutral thermal pad for DTP, current handling is heavily dependent on the quality of the MCPCB, 3A is completely fine on Eurekatronix boards ( 3oz copper, 7,2 W/mK, 40um dielectric), but maybe too much on a more standard MCPCB (1oz, 1~2 W/mK and thicker dielectric).

Simon, any change that the M21B becomes available in colours other than black? And how about a blue S21A.

@thefreeman, thank you for the detailed response.

I’m thinking of just getting the B35AM S21A instead of the FC40 since it looks like color rendition on the 35AM is insane and I actually kind of miss physical controls.

Another thing that I’m wondering is how much current is being pushed through the bottom spring and how much power is being lost through it.

Hi Everybody!

I just saw, that Cree recently released a well awaited update to the Cree XHP 70.2 series. The XHP 70.3 series seem to have better phosphor application (probably much less radial tint shift), than the 70.2.
https://cree-led.com/media/documents/ds-XHP70-3.pdf

Also, now there is XHP70.3 High Intensity variant of the LED, which is a factory rated 45W powerful thrower LED - this would be very suitable to fit into many already present design, what do you think?

+1: there is also an order code for 95+CRI 5700K tint: XHP70D-H0-B001-AD0ZK20E2, which could make excellent ‘see all’ thrower flashlights. (Most other tints are still available to 90CRI)

xhp70.3 HI or even xhp50.3 HI still wont be much of a true thrower,

I think it's actually 4 E17A's, since 4xE21A put together has side length no less than 4.2mm, which is way above the B35AM footprint.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure, as B35AM has just the dies, not the additional phosphor pour around. I've heard claims that the 519A uses the E21A die, and I recall seeing the 519A die measuring about 2mmx2mm after dedoming, which puts the E21A die around 2mm in side length. So either B35AM uses 4xE21A dies, or the 519A uses the E21A die (or neither), but no way both can be true.

Don’t you think it would be too big and heavy to wear on your head?

blue M21B?

I have seen headlamps on 3x18650 as well, they are often taken for fishing

(though they usually use 12000mAh batteries weighing 15 grams :laughing:

Hadn’t thought about that specific combo, but I’ll take one :slight_smile:

Let me explain my reasoning here; once you get into the whole flashlight hobby, black starts do dominate really quickly, especially when you have multiple flashlights of the same model, just with different emitters. So a bit colour would be nice to keep them apart. Even a ring or coloured tailcap would be enough.

The S2+ range has been really nice in this respect. Have 1 of each colour, except black. Very easy to identify which one to use, before you even pick it up.
Recently I’ve started preferring 21700 flashlights, and thus the S21A. I love the matte colours, but it I don’t mind having some more colour options (blue, cyan, silver, etc). Hence my interest in a matte blue S21A (and/or S21B).

I like the M21B due to its better heatsinking, while still being able to stick in into a pocket. It’s the smallest FC40 capable host available and this has quickly become my favorite. But I ended up sticking a small sticker on each to remember which colour temperature they are. Don’t know if shiny colours (e.g. S2+) would work good for this model but matte colours might be good.

Good to see a diffuser for the M3/M3-C added to the Convoy Store.
(Unfortunately I just ordered a M3-C last week, so will have to put a separate order in for the diffuser now).

yeah I would like M21B in silver or really any brighter colour, makes it easier to spot.

1800-2000K is now available on all existing GT-FC40 lights. Patiently waiting for M21F with FC40 to come out.

Several drivers were formed on 3v 3a, Which LED will be brighter cri>90 , 219b 219c sst20 sh351d , one of those that Simon has.

That should answer your question :

And with a current of more than 3a, will it not burn with a blue flame?
5a good for lh351d 5000k? (driver for sst40 5a)

Convoy already uses a 5A driver for the LH351D.

Saw. Many thanks!

If you have any dead/discarded household led bulbs, many of them have a plastic dome/diffuser that will fit the M3C bezel wonderfully with just a small amount of trimming the opening. Most are easy to remove from bulb body, usually held with a little silicone-type glue, sometimes a harder clear glue. I can often just twist/rock them off but scoring first with a utility knife will help stubborn ones to break free (literally) where you can then still trim them if they have the lip on the bottom. The ones with a somewhat squattier profile are a better match for the light…works really nicely.