【convoy】H4 and B35AM options are updated

Thank you for the information Simon.

I will hopefully be able to buy a MAO M21B GT-FC40 4-4.5k as soon as it releases :smiley:

MAO C8 sample and B35AM 5700K

Very nice, and love the 5700K B35AM option too, but why the old style C8?

Just a sample ,i will produce MAO C8+

Excellent.
I think I’ll stick with the S2+ in MAO and Ti, M21B in MAO, but I may have to order a C8+ in MAO for my dad. :slight_smile:

Hello Simon! I really want a S21D but with the 8A driver. When will it be available again?

Does the S21A host include an AR window or is it uncoated?

Since the boost driver needs a minimum input voltage to operate, this effectively results in a LVP for low voltage cells.

If I end up buying a T4 I may end up testing the minimum driver input voltage; but this won't happen anytime soon.

This is interesting. I have a few TIR lenses bought long ago, when I started doing DIY flashlight builds. One of these builds is an early S2+ clone I got from Fasttech, built with a host and other custom components, a very handy home flashlight for close up work because I equipped it with a TIR lens and a high CRI emitter. Always by my side over my repair table.

I still have a bunch of these Convoy S2+ compatible TIR lenses carefully stored.

So, is the T4 reflector the same size as the S2+ reflector? Or to say it otherwise, can I install an S2+ compatible TIR lens inside a Convoy T4?

To finish, I have a technical question. I recently discovered the Convoy T3. When at first I saw the T3 for sale at MH-lighting Store, the price was good, I had some payment bonus and frankly, couldn't resist buying one. On top of this the seller also sent my orange 3500K 519A version almost inmediately, so how could I complain?

However, taking a closer look at this flashlight photograph in AliExpress' Convoy T3 advertisements…

… I can clearly see an overly gross R200 (0.2 Ω) sense resistor in the driver. And please notice that when I say “overly gross” here my intention is to explicitly say that the sense resitor is way too big, causing big power loss (namely in li-ion high mode) and very big voltage drop between battery and led, reducing the effective regulation window. When 1.5A go through this badly big-arse sense resistor, the voltage drop in the “driver sense resistor stage“ reachs a monstrous 0.3 V with a power loss of 0.45 W, while the output voltage is about 3+ V (what the led emitter needs, to be precise). This is rather bad driver design, because of the massive efficiency loss in the sense resistor or regulation stage, with close to 10% power loss and additional heat generation in the driver just for this reason! To put this in context, I use and store spare commercial AC led drivers at home, I know them sufficiently well and have even slightly modified a few to reduce their flickering by adding input capacitors to them. As a rule, these drivers employ a more or less fixed value of 0.225 V as sense voltage, but they are designed to output a lot higher voltages (10 - 100+ V) than a flashlight driver. For this reason, the proportional power loss of the sensing stage in them is a lot smaller, or straight out insignificant in high voltage drivers.

Now, before any comments in this regard, please bear in mind that my only goal here is mostly to make Simon aware, and advice him to raise his standards. I'd very seriously complain to the driver manufacturer of the T3 driver if it is being manufactured with such coarse and innefficient regulation stage. Good flashlight drivers can regulate with much lower sense voltages, typically in the range of 40 to 80 mV or so (the lower, the better).

And now, I see the T3 driver boost/buck driver being sold here by Simon in his store, using a much nicer lower value 0.05 Ω sense resistor, which means it uses a maximum of 75 mV sense voltage with a maximum power loss of 0.1125 W at 1.5 A with li-ion. This is a lot better!

So, what driver is gonna come with my T3 flashlight? I would like to know. O:) ^:)

@barkuti

If you had bought your light a few weeks ago when the 4-mode driver was still available, you’d have gotten the innefficient driver with the big 0.2 ohm sense resistor(which is why the driver was rated at 75% efficiency).

Now that all T3s use the 13-mode driver, then you get the more sensible one, giving you 92% efficiency.

Well, thanks for clarifying BlueSwordM.
The seller confirmed my T3 is coming with a 13-groups driver. I feel relieved! O:-)

Hi Simon, is it possible to build a MAO S2+ Triple LED with 18350 tube + TIR Lens?

It would be cool! Simon, think about our offer! I can’t make triplets!

It’s already in production, I guess it should be available soon.

ar-coated

T3 4 modes Efficiency is greater than 75%.
T3 13 groups Efficiency is greater than 90%.

13groups driver costs twice as much as the 4 modes version

i dont have 20mm carclo triple lens ,sorry

Will there be MAO S2+ 18350 tubes available?

Hi Simon, but there will be also old style C8 in MAO finish or just that sample?

I would like an old style C8 in that color.

me too :slight_smile:

This one is just a sample.