【convoy】Golden S3 available now

Looking good!

Nice! I like TIRs more and more.

1 Thank

Thank you for the quick response. Ordered.

@Simon_Mao : one more question for my next order.

How is the tint on GT FC40 5000-5500K? I am looking for a negative duv emitter in that CCT.

what’s “flashing pads”?

i recommend 219B

Sorry for being unclear. Some flashlight drivers have microcontroller pins connected to exposed pads on the spring side of the driver. This enables reflashing of the firmware with the light already assembled. This would be useful on both the mechanical and the e-switch lights. The electronic switch lights could conceivably run Andruril, which is already similar to the current interface. It would have a more evenly set smooth ramping function, and would benefit from updates and development from the forum community.

I have also wanted to implement ramping on the mechanical switch lights. Something like click for on/off and tap to begin smooth ramping, tap again to change direction. The advantage of flashing access for the user is that you don’t have to concern yourself with what each person wants, they are free to program it themselves.

The disadvantage is the potential for user error leading to warranty/service claims, I don’t know how common or serious this would be. Some very inexpensive lights are available with flashing pads (sp10pro, wurrkos ts10) so I assume it doesn’t eat into costs too much.

4 Thanks

I see that the new TIR listing is up on Aliexpress. It does specify which LEDs it is intended for use with, but it would also be really helpful to list which model flashlights it’s compatible with. I have a ton of Convoys, but couldn’t tell you which ones have the proper head diameter AND depth to accommodate the TIR.

4 Thanks

Exposed copper contacts (usually on the battery side of the driver board to allow easy access) that allow a programming device to access the controller to change the firmware.

2 Thanks

“Flashing pads” are small test points with a defined layout used for updating the firmware. On drivers with an ATtiny85 you want the “4 over 2” layout, which unfortunately requires some space on the spring side of the driver.

Modern drivers using the ATtiny1616 require only three pads in this layout. The ATtiny1616 is the much better option because it has more memory and more features. For Anduril 2 to fit onto an old ATtiny85 some recent features have to be disabled.

The possibility to update Anduril is almost mandatory nowadays. Many customers already have a flashing kit to write a new firmware to the driver. This makes it easy to eliminate bugs or get new features.

9 Thanks

I have both 4500k and 5500k versions of GT-FC40 and wrt color rendering and tint I much prefer the 4500k version.

4500k version has Nichia 219b/519a type color rendering. Closer than any other non-Nichia LED I have.

5500k as expected is more cold/bluish, with higher Duv. Still excellent especially if this is the CCT you want, but not “special” like the 4500k version IMHO.

2 Thanks

I see - any suggestions for emitters in the 5000-5700K range that have at least neutral tint and 90+ CRI?

I don’t have many lights in 5500k range with good tint/CRI ( I prefer warmer 4500k) but I think the usual suspects would be Nichia 519a and 219b first, and GT-FC40 second.

As mentioned, if you ARE looking only for 5500k, the GT-FC40 while not outstanding, is a good candidate. In a single LED light it would be the brightest of the 3 LED’s mentioned (2200 lm) and in M21F and M21E host you’ll have an excellent all around light with good medium-range throw, around 330m.

My S21D quad Nichia 519a 4500k OTOH measures less, 1900 lm, and throw is only 157m with the 10 degree TIR. De doming would increase throw but not sure a good idea in quad-LED S21D. So if throw and brightness are priorities, the GT-FC40 would be a better candidate between these two popular $30 Convoy examples. If you like flood and don’t mind lower output, then I would think Nichia lights have better color rendering. There are other considerations but these are the main distinguishing points IMHO.

In my experience, 519a 5700K has neutral to negative duv. GT-FC40 has a lower duv than 519a, at least on my unit. Both are great and won’t have green tint.
519a 5000K and 4500K are more likely to have a bit positive duv, but still close to BBL.

1 Thank

There will be two new flashlight models to go with this TIR lens.

5 Thanks

OK, Clear, thank you.

1 Thank

Hi Simon, I’m digging this new TIR lens. Will I be able to retro fit it into a M21F? The depth is different but I’m okay fabricating a spacer behind the star to push the LED forward. Which light do you use this TIR for? Is it a future release?

EDIT: Nevermind, I saw your comments. It would be nice if your new flashlight could have an Anduril driver.

1 Thank

Oh, OK. Thank you!

I would go for a 519A 5000K and 5700K mix

No, it’s not suitable for the m21f

2 Thanks