【convoy】Golden S3 available now

You’re absolutely correct. I completely forgot the GT FC40 is a 7070 emitter and mistakenly assumed the mcpcb was like that of a 6V emitter. All that said, I still don’t think Simon has a 12V XHP70 in his store at least not one I could locate.

I’m using Nitecore MH20 which has both moon and turbo in the main group and it’s fine. Memory and the ability to go to the next mode with a single click are more important.

Has anyone noticed the lack of 4500K Cree emitters in most flashlights not only Convoys? It’sa a bit of a shame since Cree’s 4000K is a very strong even brown-ish yellow and 5000K tends to be a bit cool from XHP50.2/.3 (while being lovely but very floody on XHP70.2/.3). 4500K 80+ CRI emitters look like a sweet spot of great light quality and high efficiency yet those LEDs are very difficult to buy.

I totally agree, 4500K are my favorite CCT for XHP emitters. Digikey and Mouser both have quite a few 4500K if you’re comfortable reflowing them yourself.

I’m not comfortable with that at all also shipping to my country costs 4x more than the LED itself for the total price of the new S21E…

Simon, will tail switches with double spring like in L21B SBT90.2 be sold separately?

This is another spring that my staff manually welded on.

Hi Simon,
Do you have any pictures of the new H4?

Ooh, I just got excited thinking about an M21B paired with the new SFT40 3000K high CRI and the 8A buck driver. Would this be an option once the new emitters arrive?

2 Thanks

Hi Simon,

Wondering if you would consider a compact triple 519A (S2/S3 + customizable TIR) using the 5A buck driver (3P configuration maybe). I see people do this with mods, but not everyone has the abilities.

2 Thanks

It seems obvious that Convoy would sell the triple S2+ given it’s popularity, but Simon said something before about having trouble getting the Carclo optics.

Do you plan to use a thicker spring instead of hand-welded double springs in the future?

Simon, I wonder if you could make a tour of the place where the lights are made! The factory or where they are assembled.

I think it’s something a lot of folks would be interested in seeing.

8 Thanks

Great idea! :+1:

2 Thanks

The 5a buck for a 519a triple?? Why?

So <500 lumens per 519a, <1500lumens combined? The s2+ 519a currently makes ~1200 lumens with the regular linear driver. Youd pay double for maybe an extra 300 lumens? Idk if that’d be a good seller.

Did you mean the 3v8a buck? That would make more sense. Problem is that’s already offered with the s12, theyd be cannibalizing their own sales, so that’s not gonna happen

I wish he would sell the spacers for them though. And the pills for all the lights if I’m wishing for things

1 Thank

I’m just guessing, but my S21D with 8A buck driver gets pretty toasty, and its got a lot more mass even for 4 emitters. For example, it can sustain 30% but gets warm after about 10 minutes. For something the size of an S2, I thought 5A would be more feasible. As long as it can do 30% mode indefinitely, maybe 8A is better :wink:

3 Thanks

The point of a high CRI triple is not max output, but efficiency, smooth beam, and maximum CRI.

Driving a single high CRI emitter too hard (like a 519A at 5A) results in a blue spike in the spectrum, making the CRI noticeably worse. Same goes for efficiency. A triple TIR makes a much nicer floody beam than any reflector could.

6 Thanks

It depends on the amount of usage.

The new factory is still under construction, and I will shoot videos in the future.

10 Thanks

Oh it’s definitely more feasible. My thinking was you want a triple S2+ because you want a hotrod, if you want sustained lumens you’d go with a 21700 triple. Either way youd be using 30%, it can’t sustain 5a for more than 2minutes at room temp.

5a/3 vs 8a/3. You’re not getting max output either way.

You notice considerably worse CRI with a 519a at 5amps? Really? CRI doesn’t drop by a single point between 0.1amps and 5amps with a 519a according to my little opple. I know it’s not high precision equipment but i think it would pick up on something big enough that you’d notice it with the naked eye.

I notice a difference in CRI between 0.5A per emitter and 1.6A per emitter in my 519A triple; full 5A to a single emitter looks absolutely disastrous.

At low drive currents the light has a very soft quality to it that makes all colors seem natural and calm. When the current ramps up the light becomes a bit purple and the excess blue begins to wash things out, and the light looks noticeably harsher.

The Opple is good for getting ballpark numbers, but at ultra-high CRI ranges like high CCT 519As the results are not to be trusted. It is also possible that the worsening I observe with my eyes isn’t measured by CRI at all.