Convoy L2/L6 modding thread

The L2 comes with a smooth reflector so it’s quite probable that you will be getting a doughnut hole with the XHP70.2 installed.
(Slicing the emitter will help mitigate the problem).

To my eyes, the L2 is a thrower and so I wouldn’t choose to install such an emitter :slight_smile:

It wont be half bad, the beam will be very useable. Nice big wall of light with descent hotspot.

Dome on 70.2 P2-1A on the Left the Clean De-domed 70.2 P2-1A (not sliced) on the Right

I have a Bare Aluminum L2 given to me by Simon thru Jared, I believe DBCustom Dale got one too.

Here it is with it’s 2 brothers Bare Aluminum L6’s also from Simon. I run a 80CRI 4000k 70.2

It’s a lower M bin 70.2 so IIRC 4000lm/2x26350’s and 6000lm 2x26650’s

Here is what it looks like now, smoothed over running the 70.2 2x26350’s

I use it every night to sweep and spot and if need be Kill any unwanted vermin that comes with in .22cal PCP Pistol range. :wink:

I say Go For It! :+1: You can always change it….

Looking for some guidance. I am looking to build myself a thrower. I don’t need it to be crazy, if I want that I will save and get the GT. I do want to improve over the stock L2. Right now I am looking to get a host from MTN, XHP70 N2 5C 80+ CRI (the 6V), and 20mm MTN-MAXlp HP. I will run this on 2x26650. When I was first looking I considered an XP-L HI and a FET+7135 driver. However my thought of going the XHP70 route is that I will always have my Olight S1 and/or FW3A with me for closer stuff, so the XHP70 will give me I think similar range, but a bigger brighter hotspot so I can see better. Am I on the right track?

Unno. If you’re going the ’70 route, might as well just get an L6, no?

Also, you’ll probably get a hideous yellow corona around the hotspot.

A big emitter in a small reflector is not the way to build a thrower. Before you go building something custom, have you looked at the Astrolux FT03 with either the sst-40 or the xhp50.2? It’s a single 26650 light, I’m not sure whether you require a dual battery light or not. Both throw pretty far with different sized hot spots and good UI’s stock. Both can be made to throw further by slicing the dome off the emitter.

ASTROLUX FT03 SST40 1900lm 875m NarsilM v1.3

ASTROLUX FT03 XHP50.2 (3V) 4300lm 735m 26650

If you want big lumens in a “thrower”, you might consider the Sofirn SP70. It’s got a 70.2 in a big reflector with a FET driver and 2 x 26650 batteries. It’s also got a nice ramping interface stock.

See and this is why I came for input. I’m still working out how all of these things work together.

I have looked at the FT03 SST40 and really like it. My only issue with it was I saw some stuff implying it may be a little aggressive on the thermal side/cannot handle the heat. Which means you get stepped down, whereas with the cooling ability of the L2 this is solved.

Also I would actually rather have a single cell config. I was only doing 2 cells due to the driver.

Lightbringer, as far as the L6, I don’t know a lot about it. I’m pretty sure it’s bigger thant he L2 and I’m not sure I want to go that big. I want bigger than EDC/pocketable obviously since I want throw, but I don’t want so big it’s annoying to carry if I want to use it for an extended period.

A dual 26650 for a xhp70.2 will require a driver with zener mod

I’m building an L2 with and xhp70.2 as well.

But I’m now building it for throw because I know the head is too small for such an emitter. Mainly just wow factor. If I wanted throw, I’d probably fit this with a white2 or overdriven xpl

The FT03 is using NarsilM which let’s you have full control over the thermal step down. You can reset the temperature to your choosing or turn it off altogether and manually control the output.

I don’t think the 20mm MTN-MAXlp HP has any thermal control at all.

From what I can find the FT03 just can’t shed heat well enough. Just found a test where it hit almost 45C around the button after only 9 minutes and significantly dropped the output. That’s getting pretty uncomfortable. The L2 is superior at shedding heat isn’t it? So maybe my “best” would be to use the L2 host with an SST40 and a FET+7135? Basically make and FT03 inside an L2 host. In my eyes the only advantage the FT03 has is the reflector, but what good is it if it just gets too hot and steps down? If the FT03 had the cooling fins it would be the clear choice for me.

I will also look at the L6 and see how I feel about the size.

Are you planning to run the light on high for 9 minutes straight?

Exactly, that’s pretty extreme.

Also keep in mind that the FT03 uses a FET driver so you can expect about 9 amps of current putting out a real 1800+ lumen.

The Buck driver you mentioned earlier will only do 5.5 amp assuming the big inductor fits. That would only be about 1300 lumen. The L2 will certainly handle this reduced lumen and heat load longer than the FT03 on Turbo. Then again you can run the FT03 at a similar reduced output and I’m sure it will handle the heat much better as well.

One advantage of the Buck driver is that it should maintain that 5.5A pretty steady for long durations. The FET drivers output will eventually start to taper down as battery voltage drops.

IDK, something to think about.

What about the Convoy L21a then?

L2 sized head but with 21700/18650 battery tube and SST40 up to 6A (no Narsil though, just 4 modes)

Very neat light. It says it has built in non-adjustable thermal protection. I have no idea how good or bad that feature is. Of course it’s not 2300 lumen, probably like 1300-1400 if it’s 6A.

I took the gamble and just ordered the L21a to build a nice thrower
Together with some high drain 21700 Shockli cells and the famous Led4Power 3030 MCPCB with OSRAM KW CSLNM1.TG and another OSRAM KW CSLPM1.TG

I am planning to keep the original driver, but still doubting which LED to use, @6A the 1mm might be just overdriven and the 2mm might be just underdriven.

What are your opinions?

Sounds like you are in the right track post some beam shots

I don’t think 9 minutes on high is that extreme. What if you are actually using the light to search, say for a dog or a kid that ran off when camping or something.

Speaking of the L21A though, I also found Vinh makes an L2VN. He’s getting about a KM out of the L2 with his driver and an SST40. I just don’t want a cool white tint which both of those have. I might reach out to Vinh and see if he would be willing to do a 5000K SST40 for me. I think it would be cheaper for me to custom build it though.

Since I don’t know all of the drivers available, would there be something better for me to use with an SST40 than the MTN FET+7135? I know my creation wouldn’t work as well as Vinh’s since he basically dedomes his SST40s. It’s not a full dedome I guess, he just makes it super thin.

I bit the bullet on the L21A. It seems like a really nice light and the price can’t be beat. If I happen to not be able to stand the tint, I will get a different LED and swap it.

Good afternoon my friends, I’m interested in modifying my L2 and put a CSLNM1.TG to have a good throw, the problem is that you do not have to put the driver and I only have high power batteries (18650: Samsung 30Q / Sony VTC6 and 26650 Vapcell INR26650 5900mAh 26650 20A) Which driver do you recommend?

The stock regulated driver from the new L2 should work I think. Not sure what power it outputs stock but I am guessing it could be modded for a good power output and would by far be the simplest option in your case.