Convoy L2/L6 modding thread

I meant what does he use the light for since it’s so long and I’m guessing a bit difficult to hold. It reminds me of the ridiculously long versions of the maglites some people keep in their car for self-defense.

A mini BLF GT?
Haha.

I can’t remember what country he’s in, but I think it’s one of those European countries that doesn’t allow you to carry a firearm. So it certainly might be for self defense.

It also might have been built before 26350 cells were commonly available.

Thanks guys. I have tried most of those high-cri LEDs. Even the Nichia 219Cs have angular tint shift. The high-cri XHP50.2 and XHP70.2 will have very yellow/greenish Coronas with 4000K. In addition to this the hotspots will be somewhat yellow ish. The Nichia 144A has similar problems.

I have also done this with a XHP50 4500K. It works, but the tint is still a bit too yellow afterwards. I actually had that LED in this light. The hotspot became to small for my liking and the Vf is too high.

The one LED I have also been considering is a XHP70.2 90CRI shaved in every possible way. Is wasn’t available last time I checked though and it also wont have as nice of a tint as the E21As.

I haven’t tried it, but I suppose you could use some thermal adhesive to prevent rotation in the absence of the screw holes.

I’m using that L2 with a single 26650 and dedomed XP-G2. I had some extension tubes lying around and took that picture just for fun.
I’m in Hungary BTW. :stuck_out_tongue:

Get a 20mm copper disc (or the largest one that would fit your light). I’ve purchased them for ~$1/each in lots of ~5. They are available in various gauges and sold as blanks for making stamped copper jewelry.

Once you have the disc, drill holes as needed and solder the mcpcb to it.

But then the Bezel won go down all the way.

I don’t think the wires are really a problem. Short, insulated pieces of copper sheet can be used under the reflector.

I can’t find any info about a L2 and xhp70 build. Do someone here have tried that?
Also, I’ve read about an OP reflector for the L2… where can I find it?

I put an XHP-70.2 in an L2 for my brother-in-law around the first of the year. Zener modified FET driver with 5 modes, reversing. As I recall it made just over 7000 lumens with a pretty defined hot spot, turned out pretty cool. He wanted the one piece 2 cell battery tube, didn’t want the larger head of the L6, so I fitted the L2 reflector to the larger emitter and used 22 ga leads to keep it from being TOO much of a monster, worked out.

Edit: Found my notes…

1. 0.13A for 124.55 Lumens
2. 0.39A for 371.22
3. 2.14A for 1604.25
4. 5.24A for 3512.10
5. 12.03A for 7348.5

I used an N4 power bin at 5700K temperature on a 20mm MCPCB, didn’t use a larger board in this one but have since made one with a 32mm MaxToch MCPCB and the shelf cut a lot wider.

Why not have used a 5000k P2 bin of the XHP 70.2?

It is fairly inexpensive at Fasttech with the coupon BLF at 11$.

Couple of obvious reasons, I buy from Richard at MTNElectronics whenever possible as he’s a forum member and a friend of mine. Also didn’t want the highest possible binning power wise as I wanted to keep current draw down at least a little bit for run times, my b-i-l is not a flashaholic so absolutes here don’t mean much to him.

I built that last January, with readily available parts as he didn’t want to wait forever for it.

Edit: Also, I lean towards 5700K over 5000K, probably part of being a photographer with multiple flash units that fire at 5700K. I like the cooler tint for throw coverage, probably just me.

that’s some very useful info, thanks! :wink:

Yeah I also meant xhp70.2 of course. Very interesting… so with the stock smooth reflector the beam is good, with no disturbing dark spot in the center? I was thinking about finding a OP reflector, but maube it’s not necessary.

As for the tube, I’ll get the short one+extension… so I can use both 2x26350 and 2x26650 (even 4x26350, should I ever want to try 12v leds)

With the 70.2 in a smooth reflector finding focus is somewhat different, we usually raise the emitter higher with an XP-L HI or de-domed XM-L2 but with these big emitters it seems to work better to keep the reflector a little higher, not try to seat it all the way down on the substrate. In so doing, the XHP-70 donut hole issue is virtually eliminated.

The L2 with 4 of the 26350’s and an XHP-35 makes for a nice light, indeed. :wink:

Oh, and by the way, the driver I used for my b-i-l’s light was one of Richards 20mm FET drivers, at the time I was having some AVRDude issues and this 20mm driver was only like $9.50 so…

Wanna sub to this since I have an L2 on the way. Will probably mod ot to be FET driven shortly after arrival.

If I wanted to boost the stock current which resistors and values do I wanna go with?

Machined the knobbly bits off the bare aluminum L2. All Foy’D up Bezel and Tail cap… :smiley:

The Long Variant :person_facepalming: Version

Polished a bit by hand…needs quite a bit more smoothing out and then to the wheel for final finish when I get the time…

I see… I remember a few pictures showing the “floating” reflector :wink: thanks :wink:

That L2 looks really sleek I like it!

That’s beautiful, KB. Love that smoothed out silver.