convoy l2, second iteration

ok. tested the 3a nw on my charged keygos cells, same distance and sum as above,
181 on the meter
calculated to 76472.5

dedomed xp-g2 at 5a (yep, I built up the 3a one to 5a dedomed)

336 on the meter
calculated at 141960

these were both on my crappy keygos cells, I was intend to retest on trustfire flames and king kongs.

no photos or anything, just wanted to get it testable. Our luke is quite poorly and we have the mri scan on the new baby tomorrow, my heart is not really in it.

I’ve only taken readings from 1m, but with pretty much the same setup (L2, de-domed XP-G2, LCK LED FL-235 Driver), my meter is showing 1410 on the highest setting (200000).

Interested to see if it’s in the same ballpark as yours at that distance. I know a thrower should be measured from further away - I’ll have to get someone to hold the meter & take the reading for me…

I had the light sensor set on a shelf, the light on a chest of drawers resting on some folded trousers so there was no shaking, just adjust to get the best reading, leave it a bit (my readings were taken at well over 30 seconds from turn on). I’m testing in my garage so I don’t think the spill was affecting the reading as I could lower the reading by moving the hotspot about. I also don’t know if my meter under or over reads and I’m now convinced the keygos cells are holding it back, more testing but tonight was mostly about getting a feel for the meter and testing to see if the dedomed emitter worked and was an acceptable tint, if I get it to throw like hell all the better.

Of course….

I’m off to work now, but will measure out the same distance & do a reading one evening this week.

Best wishes for the little one’s.

The square root of lux at 1 meter (candela) times 2 gives throw in meters to 0.25 lux.

So:

103090=642 meters.
141960=754 meters.

thankyou Allan. thats well below what I want, time for much more work now.

I got the 26650 extension tube from CNQC today and it fits the Convoy L2 like it was made for it. The pattern even matches perfectly.

awesome, that’ll make a real long runtime thrower, I think the 5a driver I’m using will take 3 cells too. might have to order one of them for testing.

I’ve hit the work wall again this week, 14 hour days and a young family are not condusive to modding, should be back in the shop tomorrow though for more testing and starting assembling the next iteration of this. Dedomed xm-l2 u2 is the next test emitter, just wish my dmm could have been repaired, going to have to buy a new one, along with a soldering station ho hum.

Good to see the extension tube fits, thanks Ouchy. If I had seen this this morning, I would have thrown one in with my order of 2 KK26650 ICR’s…

I rolled out the tape measure in my brand new (& still empty) shed just now to take a longer reading from my L2 with 5 amp driver & de-domed XP-G2. The cells are only TF flames, & not fully charged.

I measured @ 7 meters, & on the 200000 scale I got a maximum reading of 61, after waving around in the hot-spot for about a minute or so.

I’m still coming to grips with doing the math/readings, but going from Gords’ post on the previous page, & with allan d’s help, I think it works out as;

lux =reading x dsq
lux =6100 x (7×7)
lux =298900

The square root of lux at 1 meter (candela) times 2 gives throw in meters to 0.25 lux.

So:

298900 = 1093 meters.

In comparison, my standard XinTD v4 pulled 32900 lux, 362 meters.

:beer:

I really suspect my meter now, have you done any resistance mods? how have you located the reflector? I used the original xm-l locator as you get a lot of rings without it, what bin and tint xp-g2 did you use? what dedoming method? what driver?

Either my meter is amiss or I’m missing something as I’m getting stepped up results just very low ones and king kongs made no appreciable difference, certainly not 150klux difference.

No resistance mods yet - I’m waiting on some silicon 22 AWG wire from IOS to arrive.

See this post for a pic inside the head. I’m not using a locator - the reflector sits hard against the insulator disc. The copper tags are to get the wires out of the way to avoid a short, & to get the reflector as low as possible. I think the LED needs to be up higher still…

XP-G2 is an R5 2B, driver is the 21.6mm CC 5000mA from LCK LED.

De-domed in the tried & true petrol dunk.

The meter I have is this one.

hmmm, I’ll try the copper tags and no locator then, as that is literally the only difference in spec between yours and mine I may try to relieve the reflector a little. hows the beam? I found it ringy with no locator but that was on a domed emitter.

Gords,I have the same meter as you,so something else is wrong.Check the batteries in meter.Measure some stock lights with more-less known cd values.

batteries are brand new, looks like focus needs investigation, I’ll hopefully have some answers tonight,maybe I’m not getting 5a to the emitter

Focus is certainly an issue in some lights. Especially with XP-G(2)s. The issue is normally getting the emitter as far as possible into the reflector. If you have highly visible annoying rings, then its probably not as far in as it should be. Getting the emitter further in normally increases throw and remove rings, or improves the beam. Do like FmC did. If that does not get the job done, consider doing some file work on the backside of the reflector.

it had crossed my mind to open the reflector base up to 22mm J)

I tried to get a spare L2 reflector from a couple of sources so I could open one up a little.

The other option would be a custom arrangement to lift the LED higher off the board - either a custom pill, or maybe a small copper square stacked between the board & LED.

Anymore updates on this one? :slight_smile:

yeah one’s built and in the hands of its new owner. one’s assembled but needs the emitter out and dedoming.

I like xp - g2’s at 5a lol

Did you ever get any comparison shots? Earlier on you mention XM-L2’s as well?