Convoy M2

Yeah, their sharp on the edges but not clothing rippers, just let you know the liggts on if its bezel down. I took my measurements with a vernier caliper, any mistakes are in my readings :bigsmile:

Hmmm. Now what to do with this Convoy M2?

You two are making it really hard for me now not to order the Roche F8 or the D5. I wonder how they’d compare to my Shadow VG10 which I ordered and modded recently. :~

The shadow VG10 looks to be from the same class as D5 and F8. Same head that screws into the body. The pill seems to be the same integrated one as well. The only difference I can see is a little extra fluting around the head. The reflector screws in, so it’s like the D5. The F8 reflector doesn’t screw in, but is held in place by the bezel screwing down on it. It might be slightly deeper also.

These are a really cool class of lights, one asset of the VG10 is it’s colour, really nice pale grey and the lanyard metal ring parts are so shiny they they look like real silver. I’m thinking of eventually getting a partner for it and the F8 I’ve had my eye on for a while. How does the spill size compare with the M2?

I haven't built my M2 yet. I just don't know what I want in it. Be warned, the F8 won't fit protected batteries.

I was thinking of putting this MC-E in it, but I don't know if all this wires will fit in the pill.

The shadow VG10 has some problems fitting protected batteries as well, doesn’t bother me too much as I have plenty of unprotected cells. I think I’ll get the F8 sometime soon, it’ll have to wait though as right now I’m busy moving to a new city. :~

Yeah it’ll be interesting trying to get that MCE into the F8, perhaps the extra wires could go through the extra screw holes of the D5, and squeeze 2 wires through one hole perhaps?

There is lots of room in the F8. Its the M2 that has the small pill, although hooking up the wires would be easier since it is removable.

I just got that M2 host DIY and cannot figure out how to seat and ground the driver as the pill is very deep. If I do manage it that host looks like a nice design for heat sinking a driver.

Problem is if you drop the driver in, you can actually screw the retainer ring in on top but the driver still flops around all over the place as the pill is too deep (which is the opposite problem to the S3 host). Looks like it will be difficult to ground the driver to the pill as well. Also this driver does not have the tab on it like the previous ones I ordered from FT with the same SKU (Nanjg 105c), I wonder if it’s the one that you cannot short the star on, or perhaps they just started to make it without the tab for pills that have no keyway slot.

If anyone has any tips on the best way to seat the Nanjg 105c driver into the M2 Pill it would be much appreciated.

I’ll have an idea when mine arrives.

What id is the driver step then? As they come with nanjg drivers. Maybe look in johnnymacs review for an answer.

I’m not sure if I’m following you. What driver do you have. The pill on my M2 seems quite small and shallow. Is the tab you are referring to the part on the edge where the whole sheet of drivers break apart?

Thanks for the responses. I read through Johnny Mac’s review but did not see anything I could go by.

Probably I got something wrong with my terminology, better to use an image, hopefully that will help. In this shot you’ll notice how the 105c is rattling around inside the pill recess:

Okay. I just checked. I was sure the M2 took a 17mm driver, but its sized for 20mm.
Your gonna need one of these: Contact Board

There's not a lot of room in there, so it'll be tight. This is pic of the same driver and contact board from a different light.

Ahah, I thought you’d have it sorted, thanks for that. I made the same assumption and got the ‘assumption = ass you me’ definition I always tell my kids as a reward. Well this post may help others who were tempted to make the same assumption anyway.

I guess the other option would be to look for a 20mm driver that has characteristics similar to the 105c, would any such thing exist?

I am also thinking about putting an mc-e in an m2, it turns out that the 20mm driver from intl-outdoor fits nicely under the retaining ring. it makes me think that the extra head space in the pill will be nice to stack some 7135’s on it.

None that I could find for a single cell light. Pick up a bunch of contact plates, they’re cheap as dirt and come in handy. I have four of these M2s, so I’m glad I have a bunch. I haven’t even measured the pills on my M1 and S3 yet.

Thanks for that. As I am always ordering from Fasttech anyway, I had a quick poke around, and was wondering if this would also work (maybe either by placing it on top of the driver with the spring sticking up through the middle, or underneath, depending on which way would be easier to ground)?

Thats very expensive for a contact board

http://intl-outdoor.com/2-pcs-contact-pcb-204mm-p-410.html

Note that price is for two.

I thought of that, but I don’t think so. First, you would need a longer spring, and second, with nothing to support it, the battery would be pushing the driver inward. This could cause all kinds of problems. You could think up all kinds of complex ways to stabilize it, but why bother. If you have a spring that’s base is wider than the hole, you could solder that on and use it like a regular contact board.
I do have some of these in the mail. They were cheap and I figured I might use one in the unknown future for something.