Convoy M21 series differences?

Thanks! I also appreciate the GT- FC40 comment as I was thinking it might be a good choice but, a narrow beam isn’t what I want.

Thanks! Hugely helpful!

Die size makes a lot of sense to me but, the footprint for the whole assembly is important too.

Gents, I beg to differ.

I am finding the spill of the M21C GT-FC40 good enough for walking even at the lowest power settings. On the highest output, it lights up the valley in front of me extremely well, out to 300- 400 m, with a good even beam ( OP reflector) . Guessing the angle must be at least 140 degrees. In terms of flood, it may not be an Astrolux MF01S, but for its size, it is impressive.

I know you didn’t ask about the M26C, but the head of the M21C is 1cm longer, and has 2 extra cooling fins. Both share the same reflector and head diameter.

The spill beam angle is nowhere near 140 degrees. I would upload a photo of the beam angle but I’m at work, so can’t at the moment. The spill beam angle is identical to the Klarus XT2CR.

Got the M21E today and boy are the tolerances tight.
Non of my Astrolux batteries would fit. My only molicel went in precisely.

Is the battery tube smaller in diameter than the other M21's? I don't have those specific Astrolux batteries at the moment but, all the other batteries I use fit just fine in my M21's and a random L21 or two.

Don’t really know, it’s my first convoy… would be glad to have it checked out and tested by someone else.

Anyone knows if Simon is here on this forum?

He is here everyday. Ask him…

:smiley: many thanks!

If you were on my side of the Atlantic, I could hook you up with some Convoy M21's.

You might want to post this question on Reddit in the Flashlight forum. Tactical_Grizzly and others over there are really knowledgeable on Convoy lights and similar brands like Sofirn. I have a Texas flashlight meetup in ~9 days so, I might have some more info after that meet up, though the Hank lights generally get most of the press from those events.

I am a bit biased towards Simon's lights at the Convoy store as I find they provide a lot of value and quality at a modest price point relative to other options. Sofirn is pretty high on my list of great brands as well.

I have another convoy incoming! :smiley:
Takes some time for them to ship, but worth the wait. Started the flashoholism in August and will soon have 10 flashlights, so. Yeah. I’m hooked!

I hope you have one of the GT-FC40 emitters coming. I really like mine. If you can get the S12 UV model in the EU/Sweden, that one is a fun one to have as well. The L7 is a good one too! For general walking around and area lighting, the S12's work well.

If you camp, the SOFIRN LT1 lantern is a real winner for me. I like them so much, I actually have two of them!

It’s the s12 365nm UV! :slight_smile: The son has a bit of a thing for rocks, so just go with it. Would love to just go out in the dark with him and “hunt” some rocks. Otherwise I have the sofirn if22a, astrolux WP3, ea01s, FT02s, and incoming a few and between. They all have their place, but the con m21E is very impressive, both in flood and beam! Gladly surprised!

My understanding and findings, previously many Convoy model for 21700 lights are made with 21mm battery tube hence some 21700 batteries can’t fit.
Late last year, Simon started producing 22mm tube for all 21700 lights. So far all lights I received are all 22mm tube for 21700 lights. This problem has been solved.

I have an issue with Pioneman K35 that some 21700 batt can’t fit, which I suspected it’s made by Convoy. It has a 21mm batt tube too. We know that the M21E is identical with Pioneman K45-C. Here, I suspect that the K45-C(M21E) are using 21mm batt tube.

Convoy’s M21-series can be grouped into 3 head/reflector sizes, their main similarity is using 1x21700 battery.

M21B is the smallest, it’s the 21700 battery version of the Convoy M1 (which used 18650)

M21A & M21E are similar size (uses 21700) = has the same head size as “C8” flashlights (which used 18650), but uses 21700, it’s bigger than M21B

M21C, M21C-U and M21D are similar size (uses 21700)= has bigger head size than the “C8” but smaller than the “L2” (which uses 26650)

(not sure if there will be more models in the “M21” series in the future (M21F ? M21G ?)

~

M21B = tailswitch

M21A = tailswitch
M21E = side-switch + USB charging port

M21C = tailswitch
M21C-U = side-switch
M21D = side-switch + USB charging port

~

there are various LED options for each of the different models.

Thank you for clearing things out!
Do you think it would be unwise to peel off the plastic cover on the astrolux batteries to try and shrink the diameter?

I guess that i wouldnt short anything, but it would make it impossible to physically lock it by turning the cap a quarter turn. hmm.

There really needs to be a floodier option, with a >80 degree spill beam. The beam on the C/D is just 60 degrees. Haven’t tested the B, but I would theorize it’s sustained brightness is not as good due to less thermal mass?

I think the M21E is excellent in both range and flood. Lighting up a huge area. Don’t know if it’s thermally regulated of timed Stepdown though. Haven’t had the time to check that properly.

M21C/M21C-U/M21D and M21E has XHP70.2 LED variant, which would have a somewhat floody beam, but probably not the “80-degree” spill beam pattern though.

I noticed that:

M21B, although this is a smaller flashlight, it offers 8Amp drivers (eg. M21B with Osram CULPM1 8Amp or M21B with SFT40 8Amp driver)

M21A, does not seem to offer 8Amp version, only has M21A with CULPM1 6Amp and SFT40 6Amp driver versions

M21C, offers both 6Amp and 8 Amp versions (eg. M21C with CSLPM1 6Amp, M21C with CULPM1 8Amp, M21C with SFT40 8Amp driver)

I’m guessing the reason for the M21A not offering the 8Amp driver is due to the driver board size, and not the size of the flashlight head/body.

M21B and M21C appears to use 22mm driver board (which has an 8Amp driver), whereas the M21A uses 20mm driver board size and only has 6Amp driver … even though M21A probably should be able to handle more heat than the smaller M21B (this is only my guess…. which may be wrong).