Convoy s

You don’t need a fat reflector to get good throw. In fact, a long, smaller diameter reflector will throw more light forward than the average C8 size reflector with 60ish degree spill. You won’t get as small a spot but light that would otherwise be wasted as spill, gets reflected. An LED (especially a domed one) isn’t as bright at the edges so a short, wide reflector (with a large flat area around the emitter) reflects mostly dim warm light at the spot while more of the brighter, cooler light gets wasted as spill.

Unfortunately, a small reflector would need to be quite a bit longer to be a more effective thrower. And to maintain the parabolic curve, it would also grow in diameter slightly but I think it would still be much more pocketable than a C8. As far as I know, nothing like that exists but one mod I’d like to do when I get my S2 is to add a polished bezel that follows the reflectors contour out beyond the lens.

the s2 now has a smooth reflector available on simon’s convoy store—haven’t seen it anywhere else. unfortunately I don’t thing it fits the shorter S lights. if you are stuck on the tube S- series convoys, I’d get the regular s2 and either the smooth reflector and an xpg2 de-domed on a noctigon and drive it right around 3A or use the spacer and run a triple

When you say ‘run a triple’. Do you mean a 3 LED setup? Are there boards that small with 3 LED’s?

How would they be wired ? Parallel? So 9 amps. YIKES. GUESS running a singles 18650 at 100 % won’t give long run times ! But 3600 lumen in an S2 ooooihhh :slight_smile:

Could be a fun but ‘pointless ’ project.

NeilP, I think using search would really help you out a lot. 20mm triples are common here @ BLF. RMM sells them as well as the parts to build them on your own. Plenty of folks build them entirely on their own without getting the spacer hardware from RMM. Search will fill you in.

Not seen them that is all.
Never occurred to me that you’d get 3 in that small space. Not something I had been looking for so would not have thought to do a search for them. Rather like not searching for 100mm stars with 200 LED’s on. Not something I had thought about or thought I’d need, so would not have thought of searching for it.

Search is easy enough on a computer , but do most of this on pokey little iPhone screen.
Been hoping to get stuff from Richard but although he says he is open I think he is still very wrapped up in studies and family stuff.

Being in UK we can’t order directly from his site, have to do International orders via e-mail etc. First order a few weeks ago I eventually cancelled as he was studying and did not have time to organise it. Been waiting a day or so since my last order request went in, and still not heard back. Don’t want to keep pestering him if he does not have the time. I got stuff from FastTech last time because he was wrapped up in his studies. Although he has great stuff on his site, if I can’t get any of it, not a lot of point in looking. I’ll give him a few more days then order elsewhere for now. Don’t want to be a pain to him, sounds like he has enough to cope with at the moment.