Convoy S2 Battery Help

There are unprotected and protected versions of both cells. Generally, the PF has lower internal resistance which means less voltage sag under load, single cell lights at 3A and above generally will stay brighter longer with the PF. They are also a bit cheaper.

There is? I stand corrected, thanks! :slight_smile:

My light is going to be a little over 2A, do you think I would notice much of a performance difference? Obviously there will be a bit of difference between 2900mAh and 3400mAh. But other than that…

I don't think that there will be any noticeable difference in lumens at 2A. The 3400 B will run a little bit longer.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I ended up debating too long on what i wanted to buy and by the time i went to go grab a few of the Panasonic PFs this morning from RMM someone(s) had snatched up the last ones he had in stock. I ended up picking up some Orbtronic 3100 mAh protected cells. I think as soon as RMM gets some more of the PFs in stock i may pick up a few, along with some of the 3400 mAh ones (also sadly, out of stock). ill probably go ahead and pick up a cheap charger for keeping in my bag for when i am at work…

heh heh, seeing as i am already getting the Convoy S2 from you it would have been easiest if I had just thought about asking the battery question before ordering the light (and before the ones i was interested in were all sold out.) but that would require my brain to work sensibly.

More on the way, should be here early next week. Stay posted for updates.

awesome. any luck that the AR lenses might be in around the same time?

With any luck (if the cold weather and flight cancellations / delays don't throw a wrench in the works) they will be. <-- Yet another example of my extreme overuse of parentheticals!

I haven’t really seen anyone disassemble the S2, is there a screw off bezel to get to the lens or is it more involved than that? do i need to take apart the head and stuff to get to it?

Just remove the head and unthread the pill assembly.

does it take any special tool to get the pill out? sorry, im new to all this stuff.

No just use a flat tip screwdriver, bite the divit in the ring with the edge, be careful not to booger the threads, gently unscrew it, once it's out I usually grab the pill with a paper towel for extra holding strength then using same screwdriver unscrew the ring

I also then take a rotary tool, diamond cutoff wheel, and slice a tiny groove/knotch in the pill outside the inner ring lip (kind of like a big flat head knotch) to facilitate screwing in and tightening the pill without having to use the rings divits

http://www.fasttech.com/product/1277401-convoy-s2-diy-edc-led-flashlight-host

See the driver retaining ring divits above, see below the smooth ridge on the pill where the retainer screws in, if you grab the divits on the ring with a screwdriver you might unscrew the ring and NOT the pill, so I cut small knotches in the ring so I can grab it with a screwdriver and unscrew the pill

ahhh, ok, i am sure i will be able to figure that out. i just didnt want to risk messing something up trying to swap out the lens

You have now :bigsmile:
Convoy S2 review

There is no screw off bezel, you have to unscrew the headcap form the body and unscrew the pill from the back of the headcap

Thanks!

On my builds I do not use the driver retaining ring. It doesn't work well with the 7135 drivers. I solder the driver directly to the pill.

How does that change what I will need to do to swap the lens? Does it make it easier or more difficult?

It makes it easier, no worries about the driver retaining coming loose. All you will need is a small screwdriver to unscrew the pill, remove and replace the lens, then reinstall the pill. You will want to make sure that you use the solder bump on the side of the pill to thread/unthread the pill and not any of the components on the driver.

Awesome. That sounds good. Now just to play the waiting game till those batteries and the lenses are back in stock.

Thanks for all the info man. I definitely know I made the right choice in where to get my S2.