Convoy S2+ Desert Tan Available Now!

Some of us prefer having a user controlled step down instead of automatic/timer step down. For my use case of light painting photography, a step down during a long exposure could ruin a photo.

Got mine S2+ tan today! 8*7135 / XPL-HI U6-3A
First impression is: B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L ! :heart_eyes:

Nevertheless, I got 2 remarks to make.
1 - I don’t know it is the fact of being used to lights with rubber switchs, this one feels really different! The fact of having to press a bit more is “weird”, but not uncomfortable! I guess it’s a matter if use :wink:
2 - I don’t know if it is an anodizing problem or a pocket clip problem, but I tried to install it on the head (it fits!) and after that on the back, and the clip “scratched” a bit the body, leaving some black paint. I wanna believe that this is a clip problem and that I can “clean” the host…

Apart from these aspects: nice tint and beam, nice feeling in the hands, very smooth, and really beautiful colour! It’s my first one on this, and now I just don’t know if it will stop here! :smiley:

Really nice light! So, thanks to those involved on this! :wink: :+1:

@MascaratumB

The same thing happened with my clip on the clear S2+. I have a bunch of these clips from Simon and from Richard, and some are tighter than the others, but overall the slot on the flashlight is to fat for the clip to come in and out without damaging the anodizing. Same with my clip and flashlight from Nitecore. You either snap it on and leave there, or don’t use a clip at all.

I tried using sandpaper to smooth the inside rim of the clip, but that doesn’t help a lot, and bending it wider it’s easy to overshoot the correct size. Ultimately, I don’t think snap-on clips can be used without doing some damage on the short run. My first S2+ I used with the same type of clip, it fit more snugly, but it just took a few more turns to the scratches to start showing.

(bear in mind, this is before ever taking the flashlight for outdoor use, where it would be subject to some more damage)

Looks nice!
How did you put it in?
And where did you buy the lighted tailcap?

Regarding the clip:

I had the same scratching issue with the clip on my S2 (non +) but it’s not a big deal since I have no need to remove the clip. I find the clip to be an excellent fit and like it as it is, especially as I pocket carry with a clip, almost exclusively. The Convoy clip works well for me!

I build myself the board and used PD68’s ring pcb from OSHpark. You can read more about it here. And how I do it you can see some pics here. Or search my posts for lighted tailcap. I made a lot.

Persechini
keltex78

Eheh, I’ll use that flashlight a lot so the scratches won’t be a problem at all :smiley:
More, I like when they have that usage “bruises”, makes me feel like I invested well my money because I’ve used them!

The only reason I referred it is because it seemed a bit strange to get that “scratch”, but it’s a clip problem!
I like Convoy’s clips and they’re useful and usable! In this tan version, I may change it to the head sometimes if needed, but most of the time it will stay in the tail!

Received mine from Simon yesterday … U6-3A *8 (actually ordered the *6, but received the *8)

Quite impressed with the non slip tactile qualities of this color ano, AND the matte finish - BRAVO!

Now on to buy the shorty tube and magnet ring.

Mine came in too, from Simon’s store. It is the S2+ to a next level :slight_smile: : great colour and nice matt finish, the smooth reflector works very well with the XP-L HI and gives a great hotspot, the 4C that I chose has a nice warmish neutral tint, but more rosy than yellow, biscotti is a nice and versatile UI, and has a good low low, and the brown looks great with the black clip and switch cover.
Two minor imperfections IMO : in use I still like the silicon covered switch better than the metal one, and why the green o-ring atvthe lens?, should be black.

There’s a discussion above suggesting that the 8x7135 driver is too hot for the S2. I did a test about that a while ago, the S2 can handle it fine but gets too hot too touch : How hot does an S2+ get at 2.75A? Comparing an anodised Convoy S2+ with a fluorescent yellow powdercoated Convoy S2+

Anyone have the UI diagram for the biscotti v2 for the S2+ Tan? Simon’s site seems to show the old version and I just don’t want blinkies.

I didn’t even know there was a v2.

I just received my Desert Tan light, programmed it for mode 2 and am waiting for dark.

The light is beautiful in an industrial kind of way and white wall hunting shows a really pretty 4C tint.

I usually lean toward flood-type lights and wonder if an orange peel reflector might increase the spill and widen the hot spot. I’ve got to pull out my Zebralight HI and compare these. As for now I’m excited for a new light.

I remember someone said it was a cut down version of the biscotti where it fix the problem of v1 but, less options.

Edit: never mind, seems like the UI is still the same.

I think I read somewhere here that v.2 was just a timing fix, because the frequency of v.1 is too high. I could be wrong though.

Well that fits with what I discussed with ToyKeeper a few months back. She said that the timing between mode groups in mode selection should be 2 seconds long, instead of the 1 I noticed in my torch (I didn’t say, though, that on mine, the off time to switch modes is barely a quarter of a second, which is no problem but does strikes me as short). And people were complaining it was much too fast for them and often they had to let the cycles roll back again.

Apart from the modifications on the time to switch modes (and the strobe frequency) in biscotti’s new version, were there any changes to get the lowest output mode (0,1%) even lower?
I ask this because that mode seems to be lower than previously! Maybe it has to do with the tint, but now it seems just a bit lower output (in the 0,1%).
While comparing a S2+ 8*7135 / XML2 T6-4C / OP reflector (biscotti “old” version), with other S2+ 8*7135 / XML2 U2-1A / OP reflector (new version) and with S2+ 8*7135 / XPL-HI U6-3A / SMO reflector (new version) , these last 2 seem to have a lower output on the 0,1%.
I know that it may be a tint issue, or even a battery issue, or my eyes issue :smiley: :person_facepalming: but I felt this since the first time I compared and I just wanted to know.
BTW, even if I don’t use the strobe, in the new version it is nicer :+1:

The previous version of Biscotti was resulting in output levels higher than intended e.g. 30% was more like 45%. The outputs in revision 2 should be correct.

This light is like BLF dreams have come true ;) Good to see almost everyone happy with theirs (except for some order specification mistakes). Finally a light under $20 that is close to perfect without modding (driver, LED)! Cheers

The stock interface will be a dream… when available one group of modes without strobe, without SOS or beacon but with battery check.
The anodized finish and colour is near perfect!

Black o-ring looks better