Convoy S2+ Desert Tan Available Now!

Or you had a delicious slushie and/or burger king black whopper. :stuck_out_tongue:

Will probably go for the tan. Can’t have enough S2+, especially with the cool switch.

…….But what I really want is one in polished Raw Aluminum.
+
I tried stripping a black S2, but the ano is too tough to get a good result.
(good news for those that are fans of tough black anodizing.)

To what end? Just for cost saving or for more options? Just curious where you’re going with that. The short answer is that I don’t have time to run one right now but I’m still interested to see what you are looking for.

I don’t see bare polished aluminum as an option in the very near future but I wouldn’t rule it out long term.
What I can tell you is that there are two anodizing samples we are waiting on right now.

One of course is the matte finish desert tan color.

The other is clear, the desired result of which is the look of raw aluminum with the benefits of anodizing. :slight_smile:

Yes! Please! I like to have some throw. All flood isn’t as useful outdoors imho. I’ve never really been happy that the S2+ is the one that has taken over.

If it’s possible to rework the S2 head, please consider extending the threads inside the head so that the pill could be screwed in all the way to the lens. Allows modders more freedom. You could do a triple TIR by just screwing the pill in further instead of needing a spacer slug. Then either add an extra long spring or cut down back end of the head to get a shorter light.

Are s2 and s8 the same reflector ?
Which throws more ?

Same size reflector? Yes, as far as I know S2 / S5 / S6 / S7 / S8 all take the same reflector.

Here’s the (smooth) one I’m ordering to build an s6 and s2 with XPL-HI

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1575001

I couldn’t find this reflector in Simon’s Convoy shop.

Being they are the same reflector s2 & s8 should throw the same (taken all other variables are equal) Both come stock with OP reflector.

I’ve found the S8 reflector with and XPG2 throws fairly well for a tube light.I’ve tried the same in the S2+ and found the results pointless.The throw isn’t much better than an XML2 and the beam isn’t as clean.

The S2+ would look so good with my desert tan Protech TR-4! Just bought a couple S2+ from Simon, looks like I’ll be buying a couple more.
Would also be interested in orange for camping/ bob .

Host? :slight_smile:

Awesome news. Subscribed.

I haven’t seen the smooth reflector in the Convoy shop either, but I can fix that. :slight_smile:

I don’t want to get too off track here but well, this is my thread :smiley: so bear with me for a minute here whilst I spin out…

The S2 and the S8 share the same reflector so unless someone can point out an advantage the S2 has that the S8 doesn’t I am much more interested in putting work into the S8 as I think it has way more style than the S2. I have some really cool concepts bouncing around my head, some from my own imagination and many more dropped in bits and pieces by this brilliant community. Great things to come my friends. :beer:

Hello Beachlogger. I am your host. Nice to meet you. How may I help you?

^LOL :smiley:

Black lettering will add nicely to this light, any thoughts on the lens o-ring colour?

If we are talking other lights, I would like to see the M2 get a mention. Not that I own one but surely with an XPL HI or XP-G2 it would be far throwier than the S8 whilst still remaining pocketable?

Is there no one that can post a Color Scheme? Geesh all this talk sounds good but without a picture my brain keeps screaming.>…. :open_mouth:

OK….found this desert tan and black. Looks good for a color point of reference anyhow. :slight_smile:

she’s purty.
i like s2+ but i agree s8 should get some nice color schemes also, and some short tubes, why not.

RE: the S8… while I’ve never held one, it doesn’t do much for me due to these speculations & observations:

• lots of sharp angles (lack of chamfer on most parts of the light) = anodizing won’t hold up in those areas.
  • tiny square grip pattern = slippery
  • weird over-diameter fins = snaggy in pocket? grab/grind/drag against my other stuff every time I pull the light out?
  • large crenelated bezel - what’s up with that?
  • no square-cut threads at all! At least the S2+ has one set of square cut IIRC
  • appears to be somewhat inspired by the cheaper imitations of the Roche F12: square ‘knurling’ , tube light with fins on head, scalloped thumb-area in tailcap… also the timeline fits pretty well with the F12 showing up in 2012 or so and the S8 showing up in 2013 or so.

The S2+ features:

• Wide square cut threads on tailcap for less chance of cross-threading. (Head uses bare triangle threads - probably on purpose but I do suspect that bare square threads would work just as well? Maybe someone else has deeper insight into that than I do.)
  • Chamfering on pretty much all surfaces, ranging from good to decent. The tailcap on my most recent S2+ host leaves a bit to be desired (and has already flaked ano off from the factory! still in the little gift box!). Still, much more effective looking chamfers overall than the S8.

EDIT: And I just like the appearance of the S2+ much better than the appearance of the S8. Personal preference!

I think that this is a tricky one. Sturdy and permanent black markings on anodized aluminum is a completely different thing from the ‘white’ markings done with a laser.

EDIT: In any case the Tan/Black sounds great.

I also vote for this.

Desert tan with black metal button S2+? I’m definitely in for one and maybe two of them.

Preferably with 18350 shortie tube option.

And here’s an example of OD Green and black, using a handgun again for continuity. I think having both tactical color schemes could make a desirable set.

That’s not a great pic so here’s some more reference.