Convoy S2+ Desert Tan Available Now!

To give an idea of what I was thinking of is to get Ganzo to produce the exact same model using the exact same colour Simon used for the desert tan - here are a couple of very crude mockups to gauge interest.

From the date of placing the order to arrival in the central US it was 19 days. I was fortunate to get one of the free holsters. Comparing with my naked un calibrated eye the Tan XPL HI 1A OP has a smaller/brighter hot spot with more throw than my S2+ XM-L2 1A OP with plain glass lens. The XPL HI just has more intensity. I imagine the Tan with the SMO would have quite a bit more throw.

My black S2+ has the old double speed Biscotti firmware so the new version is better. I wish modes 2 and 3 had the battery check added to them. Both are great torches and such high quality for the price. We are so lucky to have Simon working with us, thanks J-Dub!!

My Desert Tan S2+ with U6-3A LED and 8×7135 arrived the other day, and it’s a very nice light. A major step forward from the original S2+ design, and those were already good.

I’ve pretty much settled on mode group 2 (everything but the blinkies) and no mode memory. I’m happy to see mode group 8, though: I can restrict maximum power to 50% and safely hand the light to a non-flashaholic. Well done to whoever put that one in!

Thanks to Simon Mao, J-Dub74 and ToyKeeper for making these lights happen :+1:

I’ve just ordered the 3×7135 version, which is going to get a 5000K 90 CRI Nichia 219B swapped into it. That will probably end up in mode group 10 to start with, possibly followed by a custom version of Biscotti later. When I’m finished experimenting, it may well become my belt EDC.

On a less diplomatic note, “Desert Tan” appears to correspond rather well with “Scottish Mud” :stuck_out_tongue:

And finally: I’ve found a new way to be a muppet.

I was shake-testing the new light by holding it in my hand and shaking it as hard as possible in every direction I could think of. I always do that, so I can have confidence that my light won’t be affected by any sudden movement I make.

Everything was going fine until the S2+ suddenly started flickering and changing modes. My heart fell into my boots, I took it apart to clean and tighten everything I could reach, but nothing worked. Then the penny dropped.

I had my thumb on the switch :blush:

The switch on my unit is sensitive enough that shaking the light very hard in just the wrong direction will bump it against my thumb and trigger a half press, even though all the shaking around makes it impossible to feel it happening.

Thumb off switch, shake test again. Lo and behold, everything was fine :slight_smile:

So I’ve been using my Desert Tan S2+ for the week and found that I’m settling in to what I really like about it. I tried a bunch of different modes and settled on mode 10 (1, 10, 35, 100). I had it set up with the moonlight (mode 2) but found that for this one I really wanted a bit more light from the get-go. I’ve got a couple other lights on hand that give me a nice moonlight and usually go with them. This one will most likely end up in my bag that’s with me the majority of the time when I’m out and about.

I like the power it has on tap. I like the flexibility of the UI and being able to get rid of what I don’t want (blinkies) and offer what I do want (a few different levels (but not too many like my Astrolux S1). I like the 4C tint pretty well, but I’m thinking I’d prefer a more neutral white over the warmth. I like that I swapped out the smooth reflector for an orange peel and I realize that I prefer the rubber coated switch for some reason. Maybe I’m just more familiar with them on my other lights.

All in all, this is a very nice light and super nice for the price. If you know what you want, you can probably get it from this one.

Funny you say that, I keep my M1 in more 8 all the time. Very very functional and saves big time on battery power.

lol, we all have our derps sometimes :smiley:

just blew up XML2 in my Convoy S2+ by direct driving it, maybe it is now more reason than ever to buy another S2+. XPL this time.

This looks amazing! Please do a thread on this when you can :+1: The machining pattern on the front bezel looks the same as the newly released C8 Stainless Steel bezel - which looks really nice in my opinion and shortens the length slightly.

Also looks really good with the black coated tailcap switch, shame that my black tailcap lights have the coating wearing off because it does look fantasitc :weary:

The Bistro with this light is quite a bit different than the s2+ I built with the driver from mountain electronics, which is also Bistro? At least I selected Bistro as an option. Overall, I like the one from Richard alot more. Only mode memory and numberof modes is selectable on this tan version from allie express. No long press reverse mode on this. Whats up?

The Convoy driver is not running bistro, it’s running biscotti, which is a reduced version

Thanks for the clarification

Anyone have any beam pattern shots yet? This being an XPL HI and smooth reflector, I’m curious how much more focused the beam pattern is compared to older S2+ versions.

One thing I love about my current S2+ is how great the floody pattern is for walking, so I wouldn’t want to give up too much of it…

I still haven’t been able to afford to order one yet :frowning:

Man, I feel ya. I saved up for two months to be able to afford an S2.

Well, these are a bit “amateur” (photos taken with cellphone), but maybe they can help a bit :wink:
L to R (S2; OP; XML2 T6-4C / S2; SMO; XPL-HI U6-3A (desert tan) / S2+; OP; XML2 U2-1A)
All at 100%, 8*7135

S2+; OP; XML2 T6-4C vs S2+; SMO; XPL-HI U6-3A

S2+; OP; XML2 U2-1A vs S2+; SMO; XPL-HI U6-3A

The center spot of the Desert tan is more defined than the others with a OP reflector. About the beam, it is thiner, as expected.
The tints in the photos are not that accurate, but I can’t do white balance, so I’m sorry about that.
Maybe someone with a good camera can help better :wink:

Thank you. This is helpful.

So, given the tighter beam, does this new S2+ Desert Tan still make for a good walking light, in your opinion?

Hum, I must confess i didn’t took it for a night walk yet!
I’ll do it tonight and maybe then I can answer it to you, is that ok? :wink:
I’ll take all of them with me and I’ll try to say which one is better (for me)!
But, I normally like lights that have a more floody beam, even for walks.
One thing I must say is that using it on max output with 8*7135 chips, makes it get hot rapidly!

So, my guess is that if we wanna use for a walk with max output, in a dark place, for a long time, it will get really hot!
If one uses it with 4 or 6 chips, or use a 50% output, maybe it doesn’t get that hotter.

BTW,

a) Heres a S2+ XPL-HI U6-3A with OP reflector

b) Heres a S2+ XML2 U2-1A with SMO reflector

In comparison a) vs b) (Left to Right)

Comparison S2+ XPL-HI U6-3A with OP reflector vs S2+; XML2 T6-4C; OP

Despite the change of reflectors, the XPL-HI still has a more defined centre, but it seems it gets smaller, giving it a more floody aspect.
Using a SMO reflector with XML2 leds defines the spot, but they remain a bit floody.
As seen above, despite the bad quality of the photos, the a) and b) become similar, but a) still has a more defined spot!

I has some measurements about S2+.
Clear Smo reflector XP-L HI V2 1A, 2800 mA, 879 lumen, 12300 Cd, 221m throw
Normal OP reflector XM-L2 T6 3B, 2800 mA, 897 lumen, 4800 Cd 138m throw

Tangra tested the 7135x6 config, and his results are that the light gets just as hot as 7135x8, only not as fast. Now 7135x4, I don’t know. I can attest that an S2 in 7135x3 gets warm, but not hot.

For running a Convoy with a considerable number of 7135’s on max for a while, I’d recommend something with fins or at least more surface area. I have both an M1 and a C8 that are 7135x8, and even when walking on foot during a windless night, they get warm and no more :slight_smile:

I have an older S2+ with 7135x4. It gets warm, but not uncomfortable to hold.