Convoy S2+ Desert Tan Available Now!

Thanks both for the feedback! Good reason to order one then :slight_smile:

Pretty sure some time ago Convoy was selling a headband that allowed two Convoy S2+ to be strapped to it (one on either side of the head). Can’t see it available now. Has it been discontinued, or was it a figment of my imagination?

I use this headband:

Nitecore HB02 LED Flashlight Headlight Headband

I only use one light, but it has loops for lights on both sides plus the top.

Thanks for that link. Yes it was like that but without the top strap (I think).

Nope, only ever seen the one-slot headband. Sorry.

Pete, stephenk take a look at this:

1pcs 18-25mm Acetate,Cotton,Nylon Convoy Flashlight Headband Headlamp Band For 18650 Flashlight Black outdoor tools
http://s.aliexpress.com/IJbAV7fE
(from AliExpress Android)

Thanks for the link!

Edit: Found it

Oh, they sell it in BG! Nice! I had seen it in AE in several stores, but now I only found the one I sent in the link (BTW, sorry for being mobile link, I was with the cellphone, and sorry for the name mistake, in the phone sometimes gets hard to open the threads correctly)!
All and all, nice that you found it :+1:

I find that over the head tube light very weird. I don’t have anything like to compare, but I don’t imagine it will be comfortable. In that regard, wouldn’t a reverse pocket clip on a cap work better? Both new convoys (clear and tan) have wider groves in the head for the pocket clip to be used in reverse

I’ve used the headband that Convoy sells currently (green, single rubber/silicone loop), and it is no completely uncomfortable, specially if using the 18350 version, that is not so heavy.
The S2+ in a cap may get a bit heavy (maybe just the 18350 version would work better).

That headband in the link provides support in the back and front of the lights (in 18650 version) and helps to stabilize it in the head when using 1, 2 or 3 lights with the top strap it has!

1 more flashlight is never enough :smiley:

Those are the good ones, so the issue shouldn’t be caused by the 7135 chips.

Older emitters also had slower activation times, like the old XM-L and XP-G, but those haven’t been used for years.

A low battery combined with a high-Vf emitter could probably cause moon issues.

In any case, the far low end is always tricky because it’s so sensitive to small variations in hardware. With a bigger MCU, there would be room to add a config option for the moon level… but on a tiny13 there isn’t much to be done without reflashing the driver. It’s not easy to fit mode groups and memory options and blinkies and LVP and other features into 1024 bytes and still have room left over for a moon calibration option.

I’ve been occasionally suggesting to Simon that he should use a tiny25v instead, which is a drop-in upgrade for the tiny13a, but he hasn’t gone for that idea yet. It would double the space and add a temperature sensor, which would both be very helpful. Ideally, I’d like him to also switch to a 7+1 design so it can have better low modes… but he’s not in the business of making drivers so it’s not an easy thing for him to do.

TK, I’ve also hailed Simon a few times about diferences in the driver (for me it would be 3amp max instead of 2.8 for the sake of OCD, the bleeder for lighted tailcap for those who like it, and the attiny25 and OTC for that bistro with long half click. I’m hopeful if enough people ask, and/or even the experienced driver guys in this forum help him design it, we will eventually se a blf edition convoy driver (or even drivers). Wouldn’t it be cool? Convoy 7135x8 BLF edition with bistro and Convoy FET+1 BLF edition with bistro (nothing against RMM drivers, they are great, but from china shipping fees are much more kind for people outside the US)

Plus a narrower spring that would allow for the amcs to be closer to the center for the retaining ring to be used on the dual sided drivers would be great for modding.

PS: I should be posting in the “LED drivers you want, but don’t exist” thread XD

I don’t think Simon wants to do FET-based tube lights. He has a lot of customers who don’t know a lot about flashlights, and it’s risky giving a direct-drive light to a muggle. However, it’d be nice to use a 3A driver with a nice moon-friendly 350mA chip on one channel and seven 380mA chips on the other channel.

It’d also be nice to have a choice between bistro and crescendo. Or, really, any of the nice firmwares from BLF, but for obvious reasons, the ones I made come to mind first. The idea is that it’d be nice to have a choice, particularly between mode groups or ramping, since both are available.

i’ll try to swap emitter and driver to see which one causing the problem. I think i will switch to mode 15 which is basically just like mode 2 but without 0.1, i also found that 1 is low enough for me. I will also tell Simon of this problem so he is aware of this problem.

Would love to see Convoy S2 with side switch and ramping.

Heh, that’s a much more complicated topic. :slight_smile:

The ramping thing I mentioned works on a tail clicky, same as bistro. It just requires the user to tap once to start ramping and tap again to stop, because it can’t emit light while the button is held.

Nice so it is possible to do ramping without side switch, i always thought side switch is needed but yeah that make sense. S2+ with ramping is awesome.

Let’s flood his inbox until it happens XD

Okay, at the risk of being a muggle, why is a FET-based light a bigger risk than a 2.8 amp driven light?

Is it just because it heats up much quicker (and potentially hotter)? Why not just put a step-down (like the BLF A6 or most lights), to prevent it getting too hot?

Or is the risk from using an Ultrafire battery in it? That’s probably a risk in any 18650 light.

All that said, I kind of like that Convoys use a current-controlled driver. The output is more consistent, and (at least for larger lights like the C8) you can run them on max indefinitely. Still, it would be cool to have a FET-driven C8 that could put out almost double the output for a minute or so. I generally use the C8 as a brief spotter anyway.

Because

Via: S6 triple XP-L scare

Also, Kinda like:

The general public doesn’t typically respect flashlights as high-powered devices which require caution to use safely. People know they should be careful with a knife, or a hammer, or fire, but they aren’t usually aware that flashlights can be dangerous too.

So lights intended for the general public usually need lower power levels and extra safety measures. It’s usually not a good idea to give a direct-drive triple or quad to random people on the street, because it’s likely they’ll burn something or hurt someone before they figure out they should be careful with it.

Even enthusiasts have hurt themselves with these things. Multiple people have burned holes in their pants, for example, and at least one got a second-degree burn on his leg.

Knowing this, Simon made a quite reasonable decision to limit his most popular general-purpose lights to 3 amps or less, with enough room inside to fit protected cells.