Convoy S2+ Dual 18350

Hi all,

About to build/design my first torch. Using a Convoy S2 powered by AWT IMR18350’s which I have a tonne of.

My preferences are:

- 2 or more modes. Higher powered mode and an EDC 2 Hr + mode.

- 2 18350 cells if possible for giggles.

• Able to run continuously without overheating i.e. 1 - 2 hours as my job often involves a small torch for extended periods.

If i could fulfill all 3 conditions would be nice but happy to sacrifice a condition if its unreasonable. My Research shows the only options for dual cell LEDs are MT-G2 and XHP as they run on that voltage.

If people could validate my idea before i go out purchasing the parts that would help alot :slight_smile:

Hi Luarana! Welcome to BLF :partying_face:

Well, guess I won’t be able to answer your questions correctly, so maybe other members can step in and give some help.

I have one question for you, related to this:

Running a flashlight like the Convoys S2/S2+ with XHP or MT-G2 Leds will get quite hot. So, when you mention that you want it to run for 2 hours, at what lumen output would you need it to run?

Also, if it is to run it for 2 hours a 18650 cell might be better as they have more capacity than 2x18350s. Also, the voltage would be lower, implying that it would produce less heat (unless you will use very low modes). On high, the S2+ host with XHP or MT-G2 will produce a massive amount of heat, I guess.

But maybe other members have more input about this, questions or solutions :+1:
And good luck with the mod :beer:

Hey,

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately 18350 will be a requirement as i’m building this torch to re-use my existing set of 18350’s. To be fair i’m not sure what to expect with 18350’s in terms of runtime. I guess 2 hours may be extremely unreasonable for any significant amount of brightness.

Ultimately because my limitation is an 18350 i will understand if this limits my top end for runtime. Interesting what you said about higher voltage causing higher heat. I’m not sure of the exact maths.

In this thread the guy is running stacked 18350’s he notes that running a single 18650 would yield better run time. Which confirms what you say.

However i’d be more interesting for the same amount of lumens. i.e. an XM with stacked batteries running slightly higher to match the lumens as XHP running slightly lower to achieve the same lumens. I’ve read that with stacked batteries i won’t have to worry about voltage drop which means the batteries aren’t stressed as much. I might end up building both to test.

I’ll BUMP the thread so that more experienced members with these kind of builds may help you a little more :wink:

I’m afraid of saying something that is not correct and as I never made such a build/mod, it is highly probable that I mess this up.

So… people, anyone can say something here? :beer: