Convoy S2+ Host Waterproofness Out the Box

The fully-built S2+ can stand being 1ft underwater without noticing any problems. I don’t have any experience with the host.

Thanks, bugsy. Wonder if mine is an anomaly or built units and hosts use different O-rings.

Certainly budget price lights can be waterproof given either a bit of work or decent design and construction. However to expect that out of the box for $15 or so is not realistic, at least in my opinion.

I have nothing to base this on so it’s just speculation on my part but I doubt manufacturers of budget lights do much testing to insure that their lights are waterproof. I’m happy to be corrected of anyone knows otherwise.

I’ve used my S2’s stuck in the sand where waves were washing over it every other second. After about two hours, no water ever made it in.

Thanks for the photo. If the top of that water column is where I think it is, the depth looks more like 1 meter or just a bit more, unless the guy is over 2 meters tall. Assuming that’s a Convoy employee, hey, they do test them. I do wonder what happened to mine.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think that is a picture of the light as it is still falling into the water… it hasn’t reached bottom/testing depth yet. 2m is about 6.6ft, and I’d bet that guy in the pic is probably about 5ft to 5’2”.

As it relates to this thread, I took my fully built S2+ into a hot tub with me, submerged it 1-2ft easily… worked 100%, even changing modes. No water intrusion at all. Water temp was 104 degrees F.

Thanks, JasonJ. I must have gotten a bad one.
Would ask RMM to check his current stock, that’s where I bought mine, but he’s busy enough.

scs,

Do you have any dimensions on the upgrade o-rings?

My caliper is dead.
The O-rings I have on there now are a couple of out of spec ones that are supposed to be for the tail of the Surefire P and C series.
The specs are supposed to be 3/4” ID x 1/16” thick nominal, which corresponds or are close to either the –017 or –018 size designation.
The ones I’m using are out of spec because they are just a wee bit thinner, and as a result didn’t provide adequate sealing for my 6Ps, but for that same reason, work really well on the S2+.
I’m guessing the –017 specs would be a better fit.
Put some lube on the O-ring before screwing down the tailcap. :slight_smile:

Thank you scs!

And…