Convoy S2+ Mod - Osram Cslnm1 - 5 Degree Tir - Fet driver - 430m throw

A convex (zoomie) lens on top of a reflector seems like the best way to get maximum candela in a small package.

Like these , the 20mm will probably fit the S2+ there is 19.8mm and 20.2mm with different focal length, both will probably fit so you have a choice between more focus or smoother beam.

See this example from the reviews on these lenses:

Hideous beam hmm actually on second thought it looks kind of cool, but you get the idea, heavy beam artifacts.
This is why zoomies dont use a reflector which is also why they lose so much output when you zoom them (i.e increase distance between emitter and lens)

Just ordered one as I’m really curious about , will share the results.

Link?

No luck finding that. Would appreciate a link as well.

Are you talking about matte/frosted optics?

I tested some convex lenses.
The beam has to be perfectly focused to get an intense beam.
I could not get a very intense beam with 19mm lens at all.
I order a larger 30mm lens too, this one can actually give a significant boost to intensity when properly focused.
The beam looks really awful because of ugly dark ring between ‘hotspot’ (square projection of emitter#) and ‘corona’ (reflector projection) unfortunately, but the corona itself looks surprisingly ok if not for this ring…

So a really big lens, and therefore host, is needed for convex lens to be very effective.
These results were probably very predictable for anyone well versed in physics, was a fun experiment none the less.