Convoy S2+ project build help

Hello all, I haven’t built/modded a light before but I figure I should probably start at somepoint and what better time to do that than now.

I’ve contemplated on either having a Convoy S2+ triple or one running a 3v XHP50.2 as my first build and since I have a few S2+ laying around already running SST-40’s would it be a simple swap ? If not would it be easier to just start a project form scratch ?

It’s a straight swap for SST40 to XHP50.2. The parts (mcpcb/reflector) are interchange AFAIK. You might to switch to 8A CC driver or go crazy and use DD driver to get the most out of it. Tailcap spring bypass is a needed also.

Oh thats good to know, I guess I’ll swap the mcpcb on my s2+ since it seems thats all i need to do.

I thought the SST-40 was XML sized (aka 5050) and 50.2 was XP sized, aka 3535. And the 50.2 is a 6 volt emitter and the SST-40 is 3 volts. I could be wrong and have that all mixed up.

My bad, I saw you were going to use a 50.2b or whatever they call it. Think you are still going to need a new MCPCB.

I figured I would order one mounted on a MCPCB from mtn electronics. Do you think the driver in the current light would be okay ? or should I think about upgraded that while I’m at it ?

I was mistaken the 50.2 is 5050 sized.You just using the standard 8x7135 driver? That LED will easily take the almost 3 amps that driver delivers at that voltage and probably net you about 2000 lumens or so out the front. Maybe a bit more.

Can’t beat MTN for your supplies. Make sure to get some thermal paste, Arctic Silver is what most folks use. I think MTN has it. Any other supplies you might need while you are at it. I always pick up a little jar of silicone lube for threads, some solder flux, solder paste. ya know, little things you might need along the way. I always grab a half dozen of my favorite emitters, bare, just in case I need to do a reflow. Not difficult, Even some Youtube videos on it.

If I can I would like to reuse the driver that came in this “s2“:https://www.banggood.com/Gray-Convoy-S2-SST40-1800lm-5000K-6500K-Temperature-Protection-Management-18650-Flashlight-p-1546416.html?ID=3808&cur_warehouse=CN so there is less things I could mess up in my first mod, I believe the driver is 5amps what kind of output do you think it would produce ?

I think the max amps on that LED is 6 amps. At that kind of current I am not sure of the output but, once you pass up it’s ideal current draw the gains aren’t as progressive. Just guessing at 2500 to 3000.

I’m not sure if there is a similar review for the 3V XHP50.2, output should be about the same as the 6V version(Testing a Cree XHP50.2 J4 3A led) at half the current, so 2200lm at 5A, without counting reflector losses. The improvement won’t be much. There is no way that a XHP50.2 can make 2000lm OTF at 2.8A and 3-4.2V, that’s about 200 lm/W, only obtained when underdriven.

I think Cree claims 182 lumen per watt. My calculations may have been off due to sleeping medicine. :smiley: