convoy s2 question

Hello
I just purchased a convoy s2 (Gray Convoy S2+ with nichia 219C,Ra>90,DTP copper plate,ar-coated glass lens,7135 biscotti firmware).
One of the main reasons I wanted this light was to add a blue light to the on off switch. After a little research it seems the light mod can not be used with biscotti firmware. Also the rubber button can not be used because it is not compatible with the metal button.
I already purchased the light and the light mod. Is there a work around for this mod to work or do I have to get another convoys2 to install this mod?

Hello cmp32, welcome to BLF.

The starting point to answer your question is a bit vague. You mention S2 as well as S2+.
Though most components are interchangeable between them, these are different lights.
I managed to find a light on Simon’s website that convinced me you are referring to an S2+.

First: you are ever so right. Biscotti firmware is incompatible with a (standard) lighted tailswitch.
Your options are: reflash the driver with non-Boscotti firmware or just buy yourself a new driver.
The second option is the cheapest. Unless you intend to use the equipement you need on a regular base.

Second: now comes the real confusion. You say the rubber button is not compatible with the metal button.
That is correct. However: the simpel way to install a lighted tail switch is based on a rubber button.
Disassemble the tailswitch combo. Remove the switch, the black rubber tailcap cover and the steel washer.
Replace these with the DIY kit Simon sells under the name: lighted switch for Convoy flashlight. And presto!
And beware: the retaining ring in the tailcap combo has counter clockwise threads.

It is an s2 plus…
I think I’m just going to buy another one.
Any recommendations on a new s2 plus for most lumens and compatable with the lighted tail switch?

The SST40 S2+ model with 4 mode driver works with the illuminated tail cap with no modifications.

But that is not biscotti Firmware, right? I’m a little off of the recent Convoy options, hence my question.

BTW, there is a way to make biscotti work with the lighted tailswitch, but that implies using only the “100%” option (mode 12). It has only 1 mode, though, but it won’t mess with the memory, advancing modes or something.

Other than this, yep, biscotti won’t work correctly with those lighted tailswitches :zipper_mouth_face:

What about adding a bleeder resistor? I have seen info on this recently, but not sure where I saw it… somewhere in a thread about S2 lighted switches though.

Is the Biscotti firmware the issue or the hardware of the driver that has Biscotti on it?

If the tailswitch light works in the 1-mode option (100%, menu 12) means it does not need a bleeder.
I experimented a bit with these tailswitches. Explaining things a simple as possible, there are a number af “levels” in operating a lighted tailswitch. From basic to more high end.
1/ does it work? Meaning: you screw on the tailcap and the light goes on?
2/ is it possible to change modes? Meaning: in the simple way, so short pushes make it go up-up-up
3/ is it possible to change procedure? Meaning: reverse with long pushes, or changing between menu’s.
Each of these steps may need some additional fine tuning via adding/changing a resistor in the tailcap.
AFAIK nobody ever succeeded in achieving steps 2 or 3 with a Biscotti driver.

As for @ cmp32. The fastest way to own a Convoy S2+ WITH lighted tailcap, if your stock S2+ has a black rubber tailcap cover, is: go to Simon’s website and get yourself a conventional driver and a “lighted switch for Convoy flashlight” kit.

First look in this thread about lighted tailcaps.

OP mostly answers your questions. But you can use biscotti if you use high forward voltage colors like green, blue, white, pink, purple. You just need to add a bleeder resistor on driver. You need to try what value works but mostly I use 560 or 1000 Ohm bleeder on driver and 10-22K on tailcap switch led current limiting resistors. And Biscotti works as it should. Make long wires on driver and you can replace resistors easy and try how it works. And if it is fine you can put it on the driver directly. See my picture gallery first page here.
Also you can see how to grind the steel button to allow more light to exit.

Thank You for all this info on lighted tail caps. And thank you all who replied.