Convoy s2+ wonky from new, need some advice

I got a set of 4 on Amazon (pricier now) of straight/bent, squeeze-open/-closed.

I’ve had success with stiff wire bent into a ‘U’ shape and held perpendicularly in a pair of pliers. May have been a bicycle spoke or a wire coat hanger (or neither!) I can’t remember and don’t have my light tool kit with me.

Sammy, I think we’ll have to agree to go on disagreeing about this aspect of reality.

I will incorporate into my voluminous precautions for new flashlight users the warning not to mistakenly use the high dielectric 760G product (“760G has … dielectric isolation”) which some flashlight vendors sell.

How do you lubricate your O-rings?

Amazon snapring pliers works on the rings from even the smallest to the biggest lights I have tried it on

Thanks for that. Bridging did indeed make the torch work, I couldn’t shake it about though, but it’s looking like the problem may be at the switch end. I have the 3/5 firmware. Tool comes tomorrow so I can disassemble/reassemble the switch and hopefully all will be well, if it is the soldered head end then it’ll have to go back I guess.

My tool arrived and I completely disassembled the switch section, put it back together and uh oh

Still flickering, I was a bit nervous now especially as the led end is soldered, still I managed to insert a small screwdriver into the one slot that was partially visible by one of the solder blobs and I tightened up the led end about 1/5 of a turn.

Success!

Looks like the led end was the loose one, all seems well for now.

Just as an aside, are there any illuminated switch mods for the metal switched Convoy S2+ that don’t require soldering?

Glad it was resolved. I had a similar issue with my S2+ and fixed it by tightening the retaining ring with tweezers. I believe only the rubber switches are compatible with non-soldering lighted tailswitch mods.

The newer S2+ metal switches come with a clear membrane vs black, so you should be able to replace the switch with a lighted switch and see some light come through. Though it will be a lot less than an S2+ with a rubber tailcap. And it will probably affect how your flashlight functions, so you may also have to install a bleeder resistor on the driver. Here’s a great BLF link on installing lighted switches: D.I.Y. Illuminated tailcap.

Yes my membrane was clear, I’ll go look

Last week I ordered 2 more S2+ on Banggood for $24

Convoy S2+ Black L2 7135x8 3/5mode EDC LED Flashlight 18650 - XML2
Gray Convoy S2+ SST40 1800lm 5000K max current output of 5000mA
I'll probably use the black with the XML2 as a host for a project build triple emitter when some parts arrive
The parts from the gray with SST40 may be moved to a red host I have.