Convoy S3 old vs new

Looks like I can get either the old version with the pill or the new one with the integrated shelf. Opinions as to which to get would be helpful. Is the integrated shelf that much better for heat dissipation ?

No line to cross for the heat so integrated shelf is better
For me as newb in soldering a pill makes modding easier.

The integrated shelf probably has the better thermal path, but I don’t think it would make a significant difference in the performance of the light. I say this based on measurements that I have done which show the thermal path of a light is usually not the “bottleneck”. The limiting factors for heat management is the light’s small thermal mass and small surface area, and the integrated shelf doesn’t help with those.

Edit: the above statements do depend on the power of the emitter you put in there. What do you plan to use?

I think the practical differences are going to have to do with ease of modification and use. Having a pill makes it a bit easier to solder things on, and it allows for the possibility of having multiple pills for the light. I don’t have the integrated shelf S3, so maybe someone else can identify other pros and cons.

My S3 is the integrated shelf model. Like said, the pill makes for easier assembly and modding. The Shelf is harder to work with, and would be very difficult to remove a properly-adhered emitter if you want to upgrade/replace later.

My preference is a pill-based host. For a triple, I would recommend a pill. If you are building a light and have no desire to ever take it apart again, you could use the shelf…

Where have you found a source for the pill-based S3?

Where have you found a source for the pill-based S3?
[/quote]

Banggood.

Maybe not. Add to cart not working.

Yeah… Look like not in stock. I bought mine from FastTech a couple of years ago based on their pics of a pill-based model, but I received the shelf style. :person_facepalming:

Oh well, would’ve been nice with a pill but I’ve done the shelf already. Want the S3 because of the bezel.