Convoy S9

Edit:

Just beat me to it

I just realized:

• moderate output (not overheat worries)
  • usb rechargeable (no charger worries)
  • simple modes (only 3 + hidden strobe)…

Doesn’t this make the S9 the most friendly convoy flashlight for non-flashaholics? Sure, you can do the modes and moderate output with biscotti*4, but this would be truly simple

I’m curious to see from the first buyers if the driver can be switched with biscotti and the head can fit an S2+ for double switch action

And if the logo change is permanent, the current one will be missed. But this whole product still strikes me as kinda experimental

I don’t think the 580 lumen max is really a negative, it’s a really useful amount of light and I’d be happy with it. I just feel that no feature of the S9 stands out enough to make it worth purchasing over similar lights.

I think a change of firmware alone could be enough for it to replace the F1 as an ideal gift light. Not having to switch the light on to charge it would tip the balance in the S9’s favour.

I don’t think the 580 lumen max is really a negative, it’s a really useful amount of light and I’d be happy with it. I just feel that no feature of the S9 stands out enough to make it worth purchasing over similar lights.

I think a change of firmware alone could be enough for it to replace the F1 as an ideal gift light. Not having to switch the light on to charge it would tip the balance in the S9’s favour.

FYI: The button stays lit until the voltage is low.
Also, the light can be used while charging and does not need to be turned on to charge.

Edit:

+1 I was thinking that too, as well as shorty tubes

Yes but only when it’s turned on… I was suggesting to have the button lit when the flashlight is turned off, for purpose of locating the switch in the dark.

Also the button continues to stay lit even AFTER the voltage is low… it just changes color at that point:

• Above 3.3v Switch lights blue
  • Between 3.3v and 3.0v Switch lights red
  • Below 3.0v whole flashlight turns off

Looks like a nice light to offer to non-flashlight people.

I wonder if the charging circuit is any good, and if it is separated from the driver so I can piggy-back it to my own driver. I’ve sent my questions to Simon, can post his answers.

“This is customized driver, The charger is not separate.”

It looks like I’ll just have to design my own driver with a charger circuit.

Changing your name after you are already established, well-known, have good brand recognition etc … seems like a bad idea.

Especially if you are changing to something so similar. If I saw Convay lights online I would think it was a fake copy. Like Ronex watches :person_facepalming:

It’s still Convoy, but the last o looks a little like an a.

For a few months his new stuff on his Aliexpress store is listed under brand name: convay·mk.
And now this convay·mk thing is printed on the C9

Seems to be a new name. I don’t know what MK stands for.

Very strange.
Searching ‘convay mk’ on Ali gives a lot of simon’s items, but when you click or hover it says convoy…
What is ‘convay’ anyway??

USB is also a nice option for mode configuration and even flashing firmware (e. g. with a bootloader).

Yeah, but that’s currently a little out of my league. I’m interested in learning though. Have you down anything like that yourself?

Not yet but it shouldn’t be too difficult, there are several loaders available. Did something similar with bluetooth.
When I’ve finished my current projects (waiting for the boards, will report when they work out) this will probably be my next one.

My S9 arrived today. I took it apart before ever turning it on… :smiley:

Bezel is glued but only took slight heat to get it off. MCPCB has glue on the edges but again came out pretty easy. Wires are not Silicone.

Driver retaining ring is special to this light.

Integrated shelf for MCPCB is nicely machined (16mm MCPCB). Walls inside are lined for the light transfer of the SW LEDs.

Double layer driver

Current sensing resistor? R050

Aluminum NON-DTP MCPCB and not the typical S2+ reflector. It is OP.

While re-assembling I did use 22AWG Silicone wires and reflowed the XM-L2 4500k to a Noctigon MCPCB.
I measured 1.9A at the tail on my DMM

How is the UI ? Do you think it’s possible to swap the reflector with a 20mm TIR like on the S2+ ?

UI is blaaaa.
Has 3 modes L,M,H 2X fast for strobe so don’t change modes too fast. Long hold for off
M is slightly higher than say middle of the range. Low is no ML but usable.
Has memory

Forgot to measure the reflector but its normal and TIR of 20mm diameter and 15mm high should work. Will confirm next time its apart. Has a shelf so there isn’t much variation to make up for.
Wow, the rflector is short, 11.45mm High but it is 20.4mm OD. There is some room before you loose O-ring contact at the bezel.
A TIR out of the white shell works but base fitment on the XM may need to be sorted. The top step of TIR fits perfectly into the bezel.

IMO it’s just a side SW X2R. And about 8mm shorter.

Looks like the S9 was in a giving mood.
Put an R100 on top of the R050 and I get 2.7A at the tail on my DMM.
At 2.7A the light now get s hot with the Noctigon MCPCB. No step down. Holding it in bare hand seems to sink enough heat but standing alone it will get hot and the heat will travel down the tube heating the battery.

It appears to me the charge is all on the lower board with the E-SW.
I separated the two and there is another pair of indicator LEDs under the top driver board that turn on blue with light and the second red LED shows low voltage.
The three pins are, Pin closest to SW (Left) is the SW signal, Middle is Pos and the Right would be Neg.
With the boards separated and a 5V power to the micro USB the blue lights and there is a faint flash of the red as it hunts for something to charge.

Best I can explain it….

Lower Charge board

Top driver board and resistor mod. Also Bottom of the driver board with indicator pair of LEDs.