【convoy】Golden S3 available now

Neale saud he’s making 7070 reflector for M21B...

So far, there is the Convoy L6 (bigger reflector), M21C and S11 (shallower reflector) with GT-FC40.

M21C has store option to choose OP or SMO reflector.

I think L6 and S11 can use OP or SMO reflectors (but not offered normally as a store option, maybe need to order or request specifically).
L6 GT-FC40 comes with SMO by default, whereas S11 GT-FC40 comes with OP by default.

I ordered the M21C GT-FC40 and specified OP reflector (ordered from BG), but what actually arrived is SMO reflector.
I’ve tried ordering another M21C GT-FC40 with OP reflector, still waiting for that to arrive…

I think at 8 amps the CULPM1 produces ~1500 lumens and Simon claims ~2000 lumens from the SFT40, so wouldn’t that mean the SFT40 is more efficient and therefore runs cooler?

1 Thank

in black?

Thanks for the info. The smooth or OP reflector doesn’t make any difference to the beam angle, just the hotspot. Pretty sure the L6 (I sold my original, one of the first L6 made) had a wider beam angle, but the L6 is too big for my needs. Likewise, the S11 which would likely have a much wider beam angle, probably doesn’t have anywhere near the output or heat handling. An M21 with shallower reflector would be a great match for 7070 emitters such as the GT-FC40 and XHP70.2.

I've never heard of LED's running any cooler than others, given the same wattage (amps x voltage). So the LED that runs those 8 amps at a lower voltage would be cooler, but the difference won't be much.

Here from the djozz test, the SFT-40 at 8 amps does about 3.45 volts. I can't find a test of the CULPM1.TG (Boost HX), it may be here somewhere, but not sure where. From the datasheet on the Boost HX here, it looks like 8 amps does about 3.45 volts, looking at the Forward Current diagram.

So djozz's test of the SFT40 compared to the datasheet on the Boost HX shows about equal voltage at 8 amps, therefore the wattage is the same, and therefore the heat produced should be about the same, assuming heat produced corresponds with the wattage. Both LED's are spec'd at 6 amps max as well.

If the larger footprint of the SFT-40 (5050) vs. the Boost HX (4040) results in more shedding of heat form the LED, then perhaps the SFT-40 has the advantage. In theory it should help, but it's not that much of a difference.

Just was about to place an order and see the SFT40 emitter is no longer available???

I posted these results in the XP-P thread…

S11 GT FC40 on sale.
and suitable reflector for M21B is in production

there will be silver,gold,red and blue color

The thinking here is: total power consumed = light emitted + heat generated. If the LEDs really consume the same power, but the SFT40 is producing 33% more light, it stands to reason that there is less waste heat being generated. Now if someone wants to calculate how many watts the extra 500-600 lumens represents, we can assume that the Osram generates that same amount of extra heat compared to the SFT40.

I haven't seen it mentioned that higher bin LED's of the same type produce less heat. I wonder if anyone noticed or measured it. So for example a high bin SST-20 6500K truly produces less heat than a low bin SST-20 3000K at the same amps and voltage. Interesting if so.

Maximum Spectral Luminous Efficacy of White Light
:

Higher output as light in watts means lower output as heat but you can’t generalize that to lumens, because the luminous efficacy could be different. 600lm represents 1.5-2.4W, but the calculation only makes sense if the luminous efficacy of the generated light is almost the same for both LEDs, which would require very similar color temperature, tint and CRI. A greenish tint means higher efficacy while very warm or very cool light would intrinsically result in lower efficacy due to more red or blue and less green. 2.4W is less than 10% of the power that reaches the LED, so the effect shouldn’t be larger.

Edit: The whole article is extremely interesting. If using 100% efficiency light conversion the highest efficacy for a high CRI light source would be around the 3500-4300K range (Fig. 4). Also:

Hi Simon, what happened to the product listing of M21C and L21B with SFT40? It’s gone or show out of stock with OP link.

Bare LED for SFT40 gone as well.

Only product left is 3X21A with SFT40.

Edited : 3X21A SFT40 not available too.

Mail call

This thing throws fellas

How come you light does not look like this one?

SFT40 LED is out of stock currently ,it will be available after two weeks

How does it handle the heat?

Which light is that? The L7 seems to look like the L6.